• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

OEM Starter Battery tray replacement

My OEM starter battery tray has broken one of the holes which the J bolts go into. Has anyone used a Supercheap metal tray? As far as I can see the tray bit is separate from the plastic box bit. Meanwhile, tie downs rule!

Cheers
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

There is a Pirahna replacement tray but not exactly cheap. I don't know about the SCA tray but if you do get it be sure to post a review along with some pics.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Some people have simply added a metal bracket to solve the issue - searching should find the threads (use Google - it works better than our search button).
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• traktor
        • Oct 2013
        • sydney

My OEM battery tray tie down is also broken, see my fix here in the middle

I don't think that SCA battery tray is an easy replacement for the original one because of non-flat mounting area and coolant bottle which is attached to the battery tray.

I've just ordered piranha tray and will replace the OEM one, as I don't have trust in it, the second tie down can break in the middle nowhere.
        Piranha Off Road is a manufacturer and distributor of after-market off road accessories and other products. Piranha Off Road makes no representation that it has ...
        NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• Buddha
          • Apr 2013
          • Canberra

I had this same issue and ended up going with the Piranha replacement tray. Happy with the product and pretty straightforward to fit. Traktor is correct, the battery tray has a mount for the coolant bottle and a flat mounting area which the SCA one lacks.

When I was looking for a replacement, I rang every wrecker I could find from Melbourne to Brisbane and every single tray was broken in the same spot makes me think that it borders on unfit for purpose

In the end, I figure I will never have to replace it again.... Still would have preferred to spend the $$ on a second battery tray, not replacing the first.

good luck whichever way you go

Comment

• Garc
            • May 2015
            • Perth

My Solution

I went with a standard Mitsi tray. At $106 it is half the price of the Piranha and was available same day - the only Perth shop who was interested in supplying a Piranha quoted 'several weeks' for a regular delivery, or I could pay for an express courier.

As someone on another thread said - the first one lasted 175,000 Km and with a bit of care this one will too.
            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Garc View Post
              I went with a standard Mitsi tray. At $106 it is half the price of the Piranha and was available same day - the only Perth shop who was interested in supplying a Piranha quoted 'several weeks' for a regular delivery, or I could pay for an express courier.

As someone on another thread said - the first one lasted 175,000 Km and with a bit of care this one will too.
              Vlad mentioned (in another thread) his battery shop suggested using nylock nuts so they don't need to be very tight - I'd add a "do not tighten" sticker so the over keen mechanics don't over tighten them!
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X