X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MELONHEAD
    • Apr 2010
    • Curlewis NSW

Throttle position sensor fault on auto 3.5 NL, and auto trans cable adjustment

My auto has been late to change up from 3rd to 4th so I consulted my Haynes workshop manual for the correct method to adjust the throttle cable and auto trans cable. I adjusted the throttle cable but the proceedure to adjust the auto trans cable makes no sense and does not seem to be possible on my car. Does anyone know how to adjust the auto trans "kickdown" cable correctly? Anyway, after I adjusted the throttle cable, the A/T light and orange CHECK ENGINE lights come on when I release the accelerator pedal. As soon as I touch the accelerator pedal the lights go out until I completely release the pedal again. This happens for about the first 10 minutes of driving then the lights stop coming on. I put our scan tool on and got "throttle position sensor" faults in the transmission and engine diagnostic fault logs. I cleared the codes and put the throttle cable adjustment back to about where it was before adjustment, but the problem persists. It seems too coincidental that the problem started immediately after I adjusted the cable, so I am reluctant to replace the TPS yet. Does anyone have any experience with a fault similar to this.

PS. I am a mechanic, so I know what I have and havent played with

Thanks
    Lee
    2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
    1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.
  • Goody
    • Jul 2007
    • Brisbane

Hi Lee, I am not a mechanic but last time I lost 4th gear and the scan said TPS my Auto Tranny needed a complete rebuild.
    I had some dodgy back yard mechanic change my Tranny oil and he used stuff that he uses in taxis and with me a tower of vans it chew out my gearbox( I also stuffed up by towing in OD for too long in the wrong places).
    Car ran normal just no 4th, took ages to work out, new TPS didnt do shit. Good Tranny bloke checked the oil, noted the difference in usual oil and had a look, rooted tranny, 2k lighter in the pocket.
    Hope your is easier than this!!!
    2018 NX GLS Pajero
    3.2 DiD
    Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
    Tug for my van and boat
    I love herhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/smile.png

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

Lee, with just a tiny movement, have an assistant watch the dash while you slightly move the TPS [ left or right ] until light gose off. remember you only need to move this TPS a slight amount to make up for the cable adjustment you have done. mark the TPS before you losen the retaining bolts so you do know where the original setting was.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• MELONHEAD
        • Apr 2010
        • Curlewis NSW

Thanks guys. Problem solved. I decided to disregard what the Haynes workshop manual says and adjust the throttle and auto trans cables the way I thought they should be, and no more flashing lights. I reckon you are spot on dolphin, that method will work nicely. If you are in the market for a workshop manual for your NL, I would consider another brand besides Haynes. In my opinion they only give you a small part of the info you need, and when I was replacing the front cam seals last year, I found 2 instances of incorrect information and pictures.

Thanks again
        Lee
        2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
        1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X