• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Knocking noise in the rear

I've got a knocking noise which is hard to locate when sitting inside the car but it sounds like it's in the rear somewhere. I've emptied all my drawers and any items in the 3rd row seat well to make sure it's not from there but it's still knocking as I go over any small bumps on the road. I've been underneath and given the shockers a shake and they seem firm. I can't see anything else which may be loose so I might have to take it in for an inspection.

It's not a metallic sound, more like a dull knock and it doesn't take much of a bump to do it.

Any clues ? (2015 NX)
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

Checked the tow hitch in the receiver (if applicable)?

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Nope, already took that out, and the pin. It's a noise like that would make though.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Rear door?
        Spare wheel or cover?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

The door seems sturdy but it did sound like some noise was coming from there. It's hard to tell riding in the back when my wife is driving.

I think part of the problem is the monocoque construction whereby any noise travels right through the car body so it's not easy to locate.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

With the weight on the wheels grab the top of the rear shockers and give them a big hard wiggle, I have found the top mount loose before on others Gen 4s.
            Also check wheel hub nuts.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Will do, thanks OJ.

Comment

• Lazarus
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Melbourne, Western suburbs

seat belt buckle?
                NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), Uniden UHF, ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Glenno
                  • Feb 2009
                  • Melbourne

Hi Ian, had same issue in my 2016 NX . It was the exhaust system so check out the rubber hangers.

Cheers
                  Glenn

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Thanks for that, I did give the pipe a tug and it does move around but I didn't think it would be enough to contact anything around it. Was your issue at the rear or somewhere else along the exhaust ?

Comment

• Glenno
                      • Feb 2009
                      • Melbourne

Hi Ian, knocking was from rear so you would be surprised how much movement there is in the system. The rubber hangers are pretty poor quality.
                      Let us know how you go.
                      Cheers
                      Glenn

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney

Just to tick off the very basic: wheel nuts all tight?
                        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Miner
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Abu Dhabi

Can be:

Rear door (Metal cup / rubber D)

Spare wheel cover

Towbar

Exhaust Rubbers (loops over the rear subframe quite close)

The other points are also worth checking... just not had them yet personally.

Comment

• gerbek1
                            • Jan 2017
                            • Johannesburg, South Africa

Knocking noise in the rear

If you have aftermarket shocks it may be that the pin at the top hole mount is making the noise as the pin and hole aren’t a good match (I had this with EFS, so I made a collar).

Alternatively the rear door latch needs about 2mm adjustment onwards to pull the door tighter against the sealing rubbers.

Last thing to check is if the jack is mounted tightly.

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

Thanks guys, I've checked tyhose things and taken out the jack and extension bar so it's not there. Wheels seem OK.

The EFS shocks fitting could be the issue and I'm booked in to have them looked at on Monday. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X