• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tone13
    • May 2014
    • Victoria

Suspension upgrade with OEM spring

Hi all,

Our challengers suspension is ridiculously firm and unresponsive in that you feel every bump in the road.
    I'm looking for an upgrade and am thinking of just replacing the shocks and keeping the std springs.
    I don't want a lift, don't tow heavy, don't have a bull bar (just a nudge bar) but want the suspension to be plusher and more responsive.
    I'm considering Lovells series 3 shocks, anyone got any experience with these?
    Any other recommendations?
    Are the standard OEM springs OK with upgraded shocks or would I be better off replacing springs as well?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Tone13; 12-03-17, 08:41 AM.
    2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Have you owned it from new?

How many Ks on it? It's 5 years old with maybe 100,000k or more chances are the suspensions shagged.

Comment

• Tone13
      • May 2014
      • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Have you owned it from new?

How many Ks on it? It's 5 years old with maybe 100,000k or more chances are the suspensions shagged.
      Yeah, the suspension is shagged. I bought it when it was two years old and it never was great but now even my wife notices how much it jiggles around so it must be bad! It's done 170,000ks so time to upgrade.
      Last edited by Tone13; 11-03-17, 05:25 PM.
      2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• DaveHAT
        • Mar 2016
        • Newcastle

I fitted KYB Skorched 4s to the factory springs with a good result in ride stability.

Also fitted rear airbags at the same time. Not interested in lift so I'd rate it as a good improvement.

Comment

• Tone13
          • May 2014
          • Victoria

Originally posted by DaveHAT View Post
          I fitted KYB Skorched 4s to the factory springs with a good result in ride stability.

Also fitted rear airbags at the same time. Not interested in lift so I'd rate it as a good improvement.

Thanks Dave, hadn't really considered KYB before . Do you mind me asking how much the four shocks were with fitting?

A fee good reviews on them but not much info on pricing for four on the Challenger.

Cheers

Comment

• DaveHAT
            • Mar 2016
            • Newcastle

I can't recall exactly but I think pricing was around $800 for all 4 and I fitted them myself.

Not the most enjoyable job changing them yourself but doable for anyone reasonably capable with tools.

Have a look here: www.climaxsuspension.com.au
            Last edited by DaveHAT; 17-03-17, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Factory coils give a ride height of 542mm front and 552mm rear, measured from centre of wheel hub to under wheel arch in a vertical line. If you still have these measurements and are happy with how it carries weight when loaded and do not want a lift then you could keep the factory coils. If replacing coils Kings do a range from standard heights to raised, comfort to extra heavy duty, so there is a spring for all requirements. Large range of shockers also available to suit different spring rates.
              What exactly are you looking for and what weights, towing loads, etc ?

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Tone13
                • May 2014
                • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Factory coils give a ride height of 542mm front and 552mm rear, measured from centre of wheel hub to under wheel arch in a vertical line. If you still have these measurements and are happy with how it carries weight when loaded and do not want a lift then you could keep the factory coils. If replacing coils Kings do a range from standard heights to raised, comfort to extra heavy duty, so there is a spring for all requirements. Large range of shockers also available to suit different spring rates.
                What exactly are you looking for and what weights, towing loads, etc ?

OJ.
                Thanks OJ,

I'm pretty happy with how it carries weight. We go camping a fair bit and load up the rear cargo area to the brim with a few bikes on the back as well so nothing major. Might tow a lightweight camper trailer in future but again, I've had a friends campers on there and didn't really notice much if any sagging.
                Primarily, I want as comfortable a ride as possible. The car does a lot of country highway driving on roads that are far from smooth and at the moment the rear skips around on bumpy corners as well as sending every bump in the road through to the cabin.
                I do a bit of off - roading as well mainly in the dry rocky terrain we have in central Victoria.
                I know shock absorber wise, anything will be an upgrade from the 170,000km old factory dampers but was also wondering if changing springs could improve the ride quality much as well?
                I'm guessing I could get pre assembled shocks and springs and have a go at changing them myself for not much more than just buying the shocks and getting a mechanic to seat the OEM springs and do the install but again im Just guessing for now as I haven't had any quotes for the work yet.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Yes changing the springs can improve ride quality as well as take some load off the shockers. Problem is there is no one size fits all solution and it depends on what loads you want to carry/tow, what roads you wish to drive on and what your personal preferences are.

We can only help you if you answer the questions that are asked, if not, it is really easy to fit the incorrect suspension for you and your vehicle.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Tone13
                    • May 2014
                    • Victoria

Thanks OJ,

Sorry, but I though I did answer the questions asked. Not looking at heavy towing or a suspension lift. Just everyday comfort on lumpy country freeways and highways with some 4WDing on the weekends.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Hi Tone,

Do you want a lift?
                      What are your current ride heights, centre hub to under wheel arch?
                      Do you want to do (can you do) the install yourself or get someone to fit it?
                      Do you have a budget?
                      What tyre pressures are running the D697's front and rear?

OJ.

Comment

• Ent
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Tasmania

My job entails using various hire cars to transport a client over 240 km there and 240km trips back in the same night over windy roads at night and in Tassie weather. You can pick if say a Falcone XR has under 100,000kms under or 200,000kms on the odometer. The first handles very well and the second is nearing dangerous.

Frankly my tolerance for crap dampeners is very low. The Challenger running DMS front dampeners and Bilstein rear dampners in constant 4x4 on standard 265R7016 tyres is impressive and can walk away from a standard high mileage Falcon XR6 especially on on a wet road at night though the lights are crap.

Though DMS was a pain to deal with I can not complain about the front spring and damper setup. King custom rear springs are brilliant but setting DooSo up as a heavy tourer will mean the brilliant rear spring setup will need changing to deal with heavy "standard displacement". The curse of rear coil springs.
                        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X