Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Time for some A/Ts: current opinions/reassurance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by colby61 View Post
    Im off to the simo this winter I was thinking cooper p3's I know dear, but good side wall structure, anyone ran them? seen some options not great when they get old wet weather grip goes away, but most a\ts are like that I think. Otherwise the bridges. a\t 697s $225 a corner, cant decide. have had the pirrelli atrs on last 80k have been very good but are made in china now. (ok what isn't)
    Cooper P3 ?? do you mean Cooper AT3 or Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 ?
    These are 2 completely different tyres in regards to traction and toughness.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• PeePee
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2012
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Cooper P3 ?? do you mean Cooper AT3 or Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 ?
      These are 2 completely different tyres in regards to traction and toughness.

OJ.
      I have the MT P3's and like them, I had the ATZ's previously and liked them too, the P3's are a quitter tyre.
      MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

I have the 697's and rate them well. Quiet, grip well wet and dry but lack in the mushy shit probably due to not being overly aggresive. If I wasn't using the car for much off roading I'd def go them again but will look at something with a little more bite next time. They have done just over 40K and still have at least a 1/3 left in them.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Grimo82
          • Feb 2015
          • Sth Coast NSW

Ok so checked the grabber, maxxis 980, toyo opat2, dueller in store today.

Maxxis and grabber very similar to the old bfg, and toyo looks surprisingly aggressive . All similar rrp but maxxis 4fir3 and toyo discounted to 220.

Think I'm sold on the toyo 😊

Comment

• itsamitsi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Grimo82 View Post
            Good then you can tell us what they're like as I'll look at them for next tyre purchase
            Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• whereswes
              • Feb 2015
              • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              Absolute minefield of a question. Ones person ideal tyre is anothers waste of money. The TOYS AT have a good reputation. Seen quite a few getting around. I reckon they would be good. 697,s..... I found them great on bitumen but lacking on gravel. Go the TOYOS mate. Cheaper and good value. I got my 697,s at $220 each from Kmart tyres..(17x65x265) fitted & balanced. Dont buy tyres on looks mate...save that for the tossers that are after image and not function..
              Couldn't agree more.

Had the D697s on a previous vehicle and were great in terms of wear and on road manners but they weren't the LT rating and holed 2. Both through the side walls. Make sure you get an LT rating if buying these tyres.

Had BFG ATs but found them pretty noisy +10,000kms given only a moderately aggressive tread pattern but, that said, they were pretty robust in construction (never holed one) and wear was pretty good.

The Cooper ST Maxxs I'm running now would have to be the best AT I've owned in terms of toughness, wear, noise and aggression in tread pattern. That said, they are not great on wet sealed roads and my rear end steps out when cornering down hill in the wet. In fact, if you hit painted roads a little too hard whilst cornering in the wet, you will need a little opposite lock to correct.

Have a couple of mates that have gone to the Mickey Thompson ATZs and experiences are pretty much the same as the ST Maxxs.

Cheers
              Wes
              Last edited by whereswes; 01-03-17, 12:07 AM.
              2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by Grimo82 View Post
                Maxxis and grabber very similar to the old bfg, and toyo looks surprisingly aggressive . All similar rrp but maxxis 4fir3 and toyo discounted to 220.

You should be happy with them, have been running OPATs for a month on dry & (very) wet Sydney roads, and at Stockton & a couple of fire trails. Very pleased with the increased performance over the 697s off road, and a little quieter on the highway.

Cheers,
                Stephen
                2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• colby61
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Maitland

yeh meant A\T3s not p3s I been at work from 1am, my bad. Cooper A\T3 $298 per corner.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by colby61 View Post
                    yeh meant A\T3s not p3s I been at work from 1am, my bad. Cooper A\T3 $298 per corner.
                    Be careful the Cooper AT3 come in a light duty passenger construction tyre and a heavy duty light truck construction tyre. The light truck version is more expensive but it has a slightly wide tread width, squarer shoulders, deep tread and is much stronger, therefore less likely to get punctures or sidewall damage.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• juano86
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Brisbane QLD

I'm currently running the Kumho MT51's. Cant fault them. perform great off road (both on rock, sand and mud) and give confidence on wet bitumen. they do look pretty aggressive, but I don't find them any noisier than any other tyres iv had. nearly up to 30,000kms and will positively recommend them to anyone looking for an all rounder. have had them on some really sharp shale / traprock and not a single mark or chunk taken.
                      As others have mentioned, its all down to personal opinion and budget.
                      2011 PB Challenger XLS Auto: 2" Lift, ECB Bullbar, Sliders, bushskinz, EGR Mod, Kumho MT51's 265/70/R17, Dual Batteries, AirTec Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Black Widow Drawers, 40lt Engel, Boab 40lt Water Tank & Pump, HID Spotties, UHF etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X