• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimiw
    • Jan 2017
    • Brisbane

Air Intake Expansion PB

Hi,

anyone got any suggestions for getting better airflow into the air intake?
    It seems to pull from no where but hot air inside the engine bay. I have pulled out the inner seal and its a little better but hesitant to pull out the outer seal as no weather protection and im not even sure about the inner long term. Don't want to cut a piece out of the inner either.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere to really re route it unless you had a whole new intake tube made up.

anyway just wondering if anyone has done anything about this

cheers
    2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Agree, the current intake position sources preheated air from the front of the engine bay area but it is well protected form water ingestion and not too bad for dust, but those engines that source air from the inner wheel well suffer from greater dust intake and are more susceptible to water ingestion. There is always the option of fitting a snorkel but I do not know how much these really reduce the air intake temperature down at the entry to the engine since all air goes through the turbo which is very hot and then through the intercooler.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 02-SR5
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2010
      • Toowoomba

Snorkel.
      MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• BMN
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • Perth WA

FWIW i removed the 2 weather seals (1 under front of bonnet and the other attached to the grill
        ) and routed the radiator overflow pipe behind the intake on day 1. I also remove the prefilter from the airfilter. Note i replace my airfilter every service.
        2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• jimiw
          • Jan 2017
          • Brisbane

yeah i know the snorkel option but don't really want to go that way. Don't really have the money even if I wanted to do it. And theres always what OJ said regarding that anyway.
          Looking more for re routing option at the front but doesn't seem much choice.

Cheers OJ for the comments re dust, it is pretty clean under there and yes I agree good for water.

Thanks BMN I tried removing those but yeah as mentioned not too keen long term and i definitely dont want to cut a hole around the intake area just for that.

I was hoping someone had played around - looking at you OJ - and had a good effective solution
          2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

I think there is more to be lost rather than gained by seeking out a cold air intake. For an EFI engine yes but for a Turbo CRD I see little benefit but am prepared to be convinced otherwise if someone can provide some data to support the changes. More to be gained by improving the airflow through the intercooler by using inlet side shrouding.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• coughy
              Valued Member
              • May 2014
              • Redlands Brisbane QLD

wow has a snorkle fitted you can see the air intake temps on the scan gauge2
              i dant have a snorkle so i cant help
              but i can tell you stock intake temps sort off
              as i have a upgraded FMIC so little different
              My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
              New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

like many other vehicles that have had a performance update (cold air intake) is usually at the front of the vehicle like the challenger, which goes straight into the airbox (shortest possible path) ... the quickest way into the airbox/filter and then into the turbo ... I have seen more dust in a airfilter from out back travellers with a vehicle fitted a snorkel (except with a sock on it) ... then that of the front mounted air intake of the challenger ...

there is also a debate about snorkel giving you ram air (like increase horse power) well yes if you are going over 120mph it may give you 10+ Bhp if it goes directly into the airbox/turbo

NB whilst travelling in convoy keep a good distance for the dust to settle a little ... that's when the 2 ways are handy ...

Last edited by littleriver; 13-02-17, 10:00 PM.
                2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                  FWIW i removed the 2 weather seals (1 under front of bonnet and the other attached to the grill
                  ) and routed the radiator overflow pipe behind the intake on day 1. I also remove the prefilter from the airfilter. Note i replace my airfilter every service.
                  No need to replace your airfilter every service (unless when you get a torch/light and you put it on the filter and can't see it when you look at the other side) ...

(an airfilter that is a little bit dirty actually stops a lot more dust) ... ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• BMN
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • Perth WA

The cleanest, coolest 'unrestricted' air entering the turbo is going to optimise performance.

Thanks for the advice LR but pretty happy with my service routine
                    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• whereswes
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Agree, the current intake position sources preheated air from the front of the engine bay area but it is well protected form water ingestion and not too bad for dust, but those engines that source air from the inner wheel well suffer from greater dust intake and are more susceptible to water ingestion. There is always the option of fitting a snorkel but I do not know how much these really reduce the air intake temperature down at the entry to the engine since all air goes through the turbo which is very hot and then through the intercooler.

OJ.
                      Very much agree. You might run slightly cooler intake temps but I think that by the time it turns into EGTs, there'll be little or no difference. Likewise, I think ram air justification on snorkels is over rated unless your turbos starving.

For me, snorkels provide added insurance for anyone doing regular river crossings (same argument for extended diff/tranny/fuel tank breathers) and generally, pulls better quality air.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
                      Wes
                      Last edited by whereswes; 15-02-17, 12:21 AM.
                      2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• jimiw
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Brisbane

excuse my ignorance but wouldn't better airflow be of a benefit? Not especially seeking "cold" as I live in QLD where the intake says its 55 degrees anyway when outside is 35-40...
                        surely 55 degrees is better than 70 degrees which it is what it is before I removed the two rubber piece and re routed the radiator hose that sits in front of it though.
                        But I'm not sure how hot the turbo makes the air?

Thanks!

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by jimiw View Post
                          excuse my ignorance but wouldn't better airflow be of a benefit? Not especially seeking "cold" as I live in QLD where the intake says its 55 degrees anyway when outside is 35-40...
                          surely 55 degrees is better than 70 degrees which it is what it is before I removed the two rubber piece and re routed the radiator hose that sits in front of it though.
                          But I'm not sure how hot the turbo makes the air?

Thanks!
                          Photos please?
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• jimiw
                            • Jan 2017
                            • Brisbane

Hey,

Update....
                            well I don't know how my air temp gauge went to 70+ degrees the other day it was 40 degrees outside but today I replaced the seals and at 35 degrees it was only 56 on intake so still only 20 degrees difference.....about 3 degrees more than with the seals removed.

So I'm going to call the difference negligible and leave them in place until I have proof it will go higher again.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X