• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seansa
    • Jun 2009
    • Moana SA

Screaming belt

But which one?
    Hi chaps hoping someone may able to pinpoint which belt is possibly in disrepair/
    On accelleration from take off is when the old girl really lets me know she not happy! more so when straight from cold, its then into first then second and when certain revs are up it ceases
    Had a looksee and push n prod here and there but unable too see any splits or wear
    Theres no discernable loss to throttle and power steering is fine
    Mechanical novice question hoping to glean any advice from this never ending wealth of knowledge
    Many thanx
    Sean
  • XTV
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide Hills

Try spraying some WD-40 or similar onto the inside of each belt in turn to identify which belt is the problem.

Comment

• alchemysa
      • Aug 2010
      • Belair S.A.

Last time I had a 'screaming belt' it was the air con belt. It was too loose.
      TIME IS RUTHLESS.
      A Subaru '16 Outback Diesel has finally replaced the NH Pajero. (Also had an NA once upon a time). Still got an 89 Sierra.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Probably alternator belt, as it has a high load trying to recharge the battery after starting the car.

A/C is easy to prove - just turn it off & on.

Check tension is correct (should be a little bit of give but not lots)

Rather than WD40 which is a lube & may make it slip more, just try a bit of water or talcum powder on each belt in turn - when it shuts up you have found it. There is special belt lube you can buy, but I would just replace the belt, unless it is a big job. IMO, all belts should be replaced at around 10 years. When they are off the car, turn them inside out & be amazed by the cracks!

Be careful not to overtighten the belts & don't put hands, long hair (if you are lucky enough to have any!), clothing, etc. near moving belts - best to stop the engine.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Seansa
          • Jun 2009
          • Moana SA

Gentlemen,
          I thank you for your prompt answers and assistance to my novice question.Always apprciate the sound and knowledgeable information from this forum, especially as i will always probably wear novice shoes when it comes too mechanics
          Tiny issue to most but small hints of advice to me are great steps
          Cheers
          S

Comment

• pajeroger
            • May 2014
            • speers point nsw

screeming belt

just replace the suckers easy job

Comment

• Seansa
              • Jun 2009
              • Moana SA

Hi Pajroger,
              Seems the sensible way to go is to replace them so will source parts and Sat morning give it a go cheers probably eat into a bit of fishing time but has to be done, in saying that now i bet the winds and seas will be dead F@#$%%^n calm and the Snapper are on the chew.......hahahahahaha
              S

Comment

• George Whiley
                • Aug 2013
                • Rockhampton

You probably know this already but the way to take the tension off the main (serpentine) belt is to use a 1/2 inch socket bar in the suare hole on the auto tensioner
                2002 NM 3.5 ltr, LPG Auto

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by George Whiley View Post
                  You probably know this already but the way to take the tension off the main (serpentine) belt is to use a 1/2 inch socket bar in the suare hole on the auto tensioner
                  NM diesel auto has No serpentine belt. OP has a NP diesel manual, I am Sure no serpentine belt also....... Alternator has 2 MATCHING belts and Aircon 1 belt.

How long has she been screaming? If it's your alternator belts, your battery will not be charging properly and you might find yourself with a flat battery soon. Seeming that mechanicals are not as friendly to you as your fishing rod, I suggest you go for a free battery test at a mechanic and while they tell you your battery is either good/bad, ask them to look at your belts (they should do that anyway) then you will know if it's your belts or your neighbours cat under your bonnet.

Ps. Sunday Arvo is the pick of the day for fishing, 4knots and good tide swing.
                  02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

If you haven't managed to fix this already - it might be doing what mine is at the moment. I have a very small leak from the power steering pump which is putting the occasional drip of oil on the air conditioning belt. When I first start after the vehicle being idle for a few hours, it screams it's head off for about 30 seconds until the oil gets cleared off the belt.

Cheers

Geoff
                    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Seansa
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Moana SA

Hi Rugga, i think your on the money there battery neededa top up and charge and has been fine since but i would say if this is the case it wont be for too long, so Sundays the pick hey well id best get busy on Saturday then hey tight lines to ya
                      Hey GHENDO, i will also however take your advice and check for any leaks.
                      Thankyou once again all for your time
                      Cheers
                      S

Comment

• Mitty
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Vic

Guys
                        I just got my belts changed and they've started squealing on startup. I hate to ask this but do you wind the bolts in or out to tighten? Reason I ask is it doesn't seem to move either way and the squeal doesn't change
                        Also the AC locking bolt is that the bolt that goes through the idler pulley?
                        Cheers

Comment

• Ocean
                          • May 2014
                          • Blue mountains NSW

Originally posted by Mitty View Post
                          Guys
                          I just got my belts changed and they've started squealing on startup. I hate to ask this but do you wind the bolts in or out to tighten? Reason I ask is it doesn't seem to move either way and the squeal doesn't change
                          Also the AC locking bolt is that the bolt that goes through the idler pulley?
                          Cheers
                          From memory the alternator on (NP diesel) the tensioner bolt needs to be screwed in to to tention the belt.

Yes the bolt in the centre on the A/C, I don't have my Paj at the moment to look at, so can not remember if there is a secondary tensioner bolt on the A/C pulley.

It's a good idea to check the A/C pulley bearing they are know to become loose, the whole pulley is cheep to replace..... eBay, Repco, etc.... I replaced mine because I thought a bearing noise I have was from the A/C pulley, turns out it wasn't. Before I replaced it the bearing was on the way out around 1mm play when I replaced the belts. I left the old pulley on for another 10000kms before replacing with the spare I was always carrying. So don't worry if there is a small amount of play in the bearing it is unlikely to die any time soon. Get a spare and keep it ready to replace with you always, if it concerns you just replace it.
                          Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X