X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyosius
    • Nov 2016
    • NSW

I notice that my current method of caffeine generation has not been mentioned yet.

I take an Aeropress and a small hand grinder (~20g coffee at once) with me when camping. Grind some fresh beans, apply water, press, add a shot of milk then drink (so a long black with milk - apparently it doesn't have a name, go figure). Result is, subjectively, I would say not as good as a cap, but nicer than a French press (of course if you gave me a blind taste test of both an areapress and French press I doubt I could tell you which was which).
    However the biggest advantage over the French press is I'm not carrying a glass press that is likely to break when I'm no where near civilisation.

I keep looking at "Espresso Unplugged" and lusting after all the cool products they have, but I can't justify the expense over an Aeropress. They do have a stove/camp fire milk steamer for under $100 that I am sorely tempted by though.....
    2010 GLX NT
    Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
    Awaiting installation: Rear camera, USB power outlets
    Planned:

Comment

• grhyso
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Perth

Sharkcaver, devondale make a UHT barista milk. I used to always have one in the cupboard in case I ran out of fresh stuff at home. My local Coles have stopped stocking it but, it's a brown container.

Aloysius, your coffee sounds very much like a long macchiato if it were make with an espresso shot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• PajeroPaul
        • Sep 2016
        • Melbourne

gee, answering this question is a little like "which is the best camping setup" - too many personal preferences. My camping coffee journey so far:

At home I drink strong latte from a espresso machine. At work I drink boutique strong latte - I work in the city so there is a plethora of top-end coffee shop to choose from.

I pretty much a coffee snob. I don't bother with single origin so I don't consider myself a coffee tosser!

I have a camper trailer so space and toys galore, but kids so no time to unduly mess about with grind settings and the like.

I found the aeropress no better than a french press, both sitting in the cupboard still. Various mokka pots are still in the shed. The camping version with a fancy spout (see first posting product by campfire) makes a big mess and possums knocked it off the table and broke the spout. Spent many hours on coffeesnobs website (this forum is almost as bad as this one!) trying to figure out what to get - portaspresso Rossa with Lido 2 grinder seems to be the ultimate. Spending the $$$ to buy it was a bit beyond common sense for just camping. The ROK and "the little guy" are also pricey and too large.

Now I just use coffee bags with an Anzac biscuit, enjoy the scenery and ponder what to tinker with next. I also have a jar of premium instant coffee, it's improved a whole lot!

Next purchase will be the Minipresso nano but for Nespresso pods - not released yet. Hopefully will be my middle ground. Claims to higher extraction pressure so should better tasting, the pods make it quick and simple and the coffee will be better than bags. I'll also get a Bellman for milk. I hope this will be good enough to stop wondering if it's worth driving to the coffee shop in the nearest town...

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Should be mandatory for all coffee snobs..
          Last edited by Gus; 17-11-17, 03:14 PM. Reason: Image had 4 letter word on it
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Hatto
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2013
            • Mandurah WA

Instant cheap shit for me. And every now and then a hot Milo!
            Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
            ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
              Instant cheap shit for me. And every now and then a hot Milo!

Hope its nescafe and not international roast..the caterers tin...

When I,m staying in van parks I take my woolies capsule coffee maker with macona capsules...not bad. Otherwise its nescafe or heaven forbid...instant coffee bags ...Regardless..I need a caffein hit first thing to get the body going....even a redbull helps...
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                Hope its nescafe and not international roast..the caterers tin...
                I was going to mention international roast caterers blend!!

Spend a month on that. EVERYTHING is better afterwards!

When I go camping (rarely these days... I should be this weekend but no....) Robert Timms bags. Simple and easy, taste good enough.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                  I was going to mention international roast caterers blend!!

Spend a month on that. EVERYTHING is better afterwards!

When I go camping (rarely these days... I should be this weekend but no....) Robert Timms bags. Simple and easy, taste good enough.

Thats them..Robert Timms..couldnt remember...oh well..any port in a storm
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• grhyso
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Perth

I finally bit the bullet, with all the ebay sales going on I jumped at a couple of items. First was an Aeropress set that came with a porlex hand grinder and secondly a stovetop milk frother similar to the Bialetti sharkcaver has. I wanted a Bialetti but I couldn't find the smaller version anywhere in Aus or with reasonable shipping from overseas so I will see how this cheap one goes.

The Aeropress rocked up today so I had a go at making an Espresso style shot, had to froth the milk with my normal machine but it tasted so close to the real thing! With a bit of practice I'll hopefully get it a little better but even if I can't I'd be happy with what I produced this morning any day of the week.

Bonus is the hand grinder fits inside the Aeropress for compact storage/transport.

I'll post some pictures once I have everything and have another go.
                    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

• chrisall
                      • Sep 2016
                      • WA

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                      I finally bit the bullet, with all the ebay sales going on I jumped at a couple of items. First was an Aeropress set that came with a porlex hand grinder and secondly a stovetop milk frother similar to the Bialetti sharkcaver has. .
                      That's the same combo I use at home. The Porlex grinder in particular is a quality piece of kit, made in Japan and has ceramic burrs so doesn't heat up the beans.
                      2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

Milk frother rocked up today so I had a go at making a coffee on the stovetop, as close to camping without going and unpacking the cooker and gas bottle
                        Impressions were, pretty damn good! the milk wasn't perfect, a bit too frothy, hopefully a bit of practice will get that right. All up including getting everything set up, boiling the water, grinding the beans, heating the milk, pressing the coffee and cleaning everything up it was about 11 minutes. I'll tinker to get that down a bit by multi tasking but overall pretty happy with the results.

I think I'll save it for days we aren't packing and getting on the road quickly, more for the relaxed morning or late start.

And semi compact packed up, might get a drifta canvas coffee bag

Heck it could be worse, on a recent 4xOverland youtube video Andrew St Pierre White was camped in America with a guy who lugs a domestic automatic coffee machine with him inside his Tundra

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Well, I bit the bullet today. Gone is the moccona instant and on with the ground stuff.

Will have to field test it to see how much ginning around it really is compared to my old method.

Anyway I purchased a nanopresso + grinder (looks the same as Ghryso's)+ coffee for $100 delivered. Left Broome yesterday arvo, was delivered today.

Prepare delicious espressos and amazing coffees, anytime, anywhere with Wacaco 's portable espresso machines and travel coffee makers.

So as you could imagine, I'm pretty caffeinated up atm. A very nice brew indeed - except - its a bit of a short shot at only 80Ml's. they are developing a double shot kit to go with it, I think that will hit my needs better - once it finally is released
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Poita
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Adelaide

No this is my kind of thread!

Self diagnosed coffee snob here, even roast my own beans! I have a Giotto and Compak K3 touch at home which automatically come on every morning so it ready to make coffees first thing in the morning when I get up haha

I have tried several methods and my experiences are below:
                            Italian stove top
                            PROS: Metal frame so very robust which is great for camping, simple to clean, can get large versions to make multiple coffees, can use fresh ground beans.
                            CONS: Takes a while to cool down for packing, the shot is quite strong (not as 'balanced or smooth as a machine shot IMO).
                            Aeropress
                            PROS: Easy to use, shot extracts straight into your cup, easy to clean, strong plastics are used but I have managed to snap the corner off, can use fresh ground beans.
                            CONS: Can only make one coffee at a time, I haven't managed to get a nice shot from it yet, water temp seems to be quite critical.

For both of the above, I top up the cup with hot water and a dash of milk. Both a decent solution, but still not something I would rave about.

Now for confession time... due to going away camping and wanting to just unwind and relax, I have found myself just grabbing a Robert Timms bag and using that. Less cleaning, less fuss, quicker (I always make at least 2 in the morning for wife and others camping with us).

I am keen to try a Minipresso though. Generally I am not a fan of pods (do something weird to my gut) but could be a viable solution as you can get a version which uses ground beans!
                            NW VRX MY2013
                            Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Herman4x4
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Melton, Victoria

I have since bought a Bellman CX25P stove top coffee maker. Does the coffee and foams the milk. Still playing around with it. The size of the coffee grind is important, it needs to be about as course as table salt. Have bought an electric bean grinder that runs off the inverter. Could only get a blade one and not one with burrs, but it does work well.
                              I think I am getting there.
                              Cheers,
                              Andrew.
                              Attached Files
                              Cheers,
                              Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                              Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Herman4x4
                                Valued Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • Melton, Victoria

Poita, how do you roast your beans and where do you buy green beans from? I like the sound of doing that.
                                Cheers,
                                Andrew.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
                                Cheers,
                                Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                                Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X