• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Footer51
    • Nov 2018
    • Brisbane

Electric brakes

Just wondering if anyone has not bothered doing the wire swap for brake signal in the rear DS harness plug when using the MM electric brake controller harness? It appears that it just applies the brake lights to the trailer only when using the manual override on the brake controller? Must have something to do with braking and throttling at same time?

Also my NS EBC kit came with a third fuse and battery connection which provided positive power to the pink wire (taped up at the plug end), where as my NX kit doesn't have the battery connection but does have the pink wire? I need the pink wire as my electric brake system requires this to power the hydraulic pump.
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

Funny, I was just reading up about that just now. There's heaps to read if you want to but yes it's tied up with throttle/brake at same time. It avoids a situation of cutting power to the vehicle when you might want brakes to the trailer and throttle to the vehicle.

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

My NX doesn't cut power when throttling and left foot braking.

Might only cut power when braking in auto trans vehicles, not manuals like mine.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Footer51
        • Nov 2018
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
        Funny, I was just reading up about that just now. There's heaps to read if you want to but yes it's tied up with throttle/brake at same time. It avoids a situation of cutting power to the vehicle when you might want brakes to the trailer and throttle to the vehicle.
        Awesome thanks mate... means I'll get to it one day but not urgent!

Still need to see if the pink wire is powered up once everything is connected... I'm thinking it won't be!

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

I think you’ll find that the pink wire is disconnected between the socket and the trailer ecu behind the rear right quarter panel. If you unwind the electrical tape from the socket the pink wire will probably be loose. There should be the other end of the pink wire behind that quarter panel but I just cant quite remember because I was hooking up the reverse signal rather than the pink power. I’ve got pics in my build thread. It seems like half the interior needs to be removed to gain access but it isn’t that bad once you are familiar and gaining proper access will make the job far easier.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

My vague recollection is that it is a safety issue in circumstances if you have trailer swaying, the correcting solution is, apparently, to apply the brakes to the trailer and slight throttle to the vehicle. If you don't remove the brake signal wire, when you apply the trailer brakes mannually via its controller, the vehicle's rear brake lights come on, which is interpreted by the ECU as you wanting to slow the vehicle and it accordingly cuts the throttle.
            I found it quite tricky to remove the wire from the socket until I worked out how to do it. As noted above, read some of the past threads which explain how to do it.

Comment

• Footer51
              • Nov 2018
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
              I think you’ll find that the pink wire is disconnected between the socket and the trailer ecu behind the rear right quarter panel. If you unwind the electrical tape from the socket the pink wire will probably be loose. There should be the other end of the pink wire behind that quarter panel but I just cant quite remember because I was hooking up the reverse signal rather than the pink power. I’ve got pics in my build thread. It seems like half the interior needs to be removed to gain access but it isn’t that bad once you are familiar and gaining proper access will make the job far easier.
              Yeh just installed the mm tow bar kit and wiring loom and I knew about the pink wire so wired it to the plug in p,ace of the reverse wire as I did in the ns. Problem is that the ns kit had an extra wire at the front from the plug behind the headlight to the battery which was solely to power the pink wire. The nx kit doesn't have this power up cable at the front?

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

No I don’t think so but there is of course the extra wire from the battery to the plug behind the left headlight which may be supplying power to the circuit downstream somewhere. It may be a matter of hooking up the pink wire to either the trailer ecu or somewhere in that vicinity. I’m not sure as I wasn’t really paying any attention to the pink wire when I had mine apart. I may have even been thinking that if I had a need I would power it through the aux battery circuit anyway.
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Footer51
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Brisbane

For those interested in the pink wire saga and change from earlier kits like the one in my NS... turns out that when everything is fitted, the pink wire becomes live when the brakes are applied, so hence electric brake controller signal, pink wire, and obviously brake lights all become live when brakes are applied. The pink wire must be switched within the harness somewhere. In my case my boat trailer brakes are electric over hydraulic so the pink wire is connected to the auxiliary pin and is used to power the hydraulic pump when the brake controller is active. Only problem with the setup is that if u connect a trailer that uses the aux pin for reverse lights, the reverse lights will come on when ever brakes are applied. On NS I just pulled the pink wire fuse... anyway minor details

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Just installed a red arc brake controller in a NW and used the genuine Mitsubishi brake wiring harness kit. This harness kit had an extra fuse and wire to behind the headlight and connector harness for the LH front kick panel/footwell. Didn’t initially know what it was for then found it was for the pink wire in the trailer plug for electric power to the hydraulic units if fitted. It is direct power from battery so could be used to power other things within reason. It has a normal blade type fuse holder at the battery. Was thinking of using it to charge the failsafe battery in the horse float. My vehicle already had a genuine tow bar fitted, and I had to remove a 1 wire harness from battery to behind LH headlight and fit the new 3 wire harness. Also replaced a 1 wire harness for 3 wire in LH kickpanel. Not sure if this has changed in the NX just what I found with the NW.
                    Also definitely recommend using the MM brake controller harness.
                    It was only $110 has the circuit breaker and fuses, all the correct plug and play terminals to pick up brake signal etc.
                    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X