• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterP
    • Apr 2017
    • Lesmurdie

So glad I put on a Catch Can!

So glad I put on a catch can!

I have the HPD type with the dipstick. Only have 5,700ks on the clock but thought I would just check the catch can...well bugger me there was heaps of oil on the dipstick so took out the bowl and found about 150-200mls (maybe 100-150?) black crap in there.

So glad that is not coating the turbo, inter cooler, manifold etc etc!

Going to get the oil changed as I want to know what is in the sump...not just the stuff it came out the factory door with (and isn't scheduled to be changed until 15,000 kays...yeah, right, like I am going to leave it in there that long!)

Attached Files
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

well done on the catch can ... amazing how much comes out of these new motors ... guess the thin recommended oil doesn't really help

so what oil are you going to replace it with ? supply your own if you are bringing it into Mitsi Service centre (ring ahead to make sure they will deduct it) we bring our own oil in ... and lot's of manufacturers also let you do the same (as long as it meets the factory spec's) ....

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Wow that's a lot of oil for such a short amount of K's. What weight oil does the Sport take?

Now would be a great time to change the oil. Get rid of all the wear particles from the run-in period.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
        Wow that's a lot of oil for such a short amount of K's. What weight oil does the Sport take?

Now would be a great time to change the oil. Get rid of all the wear particles from the run-in period.

Benny.
        5w 30 low ash ...

online guides can be seen from the oil distributors as to the specific oil for your vehicle

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Wow!

I fitted one of these HPD cans to my NT yesterday, but haven't even cranked the engine over yet. I'll have to make a note of the odometer reading, and track how much oil it collects.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Wow! That seems a lot. Catch can is certainly doing its job.
            I didn't get anywhere near that much even after 30k, but different motor.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• my.paj
              • Dec 2010
              • Tullamarine

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Wow!

I fitted one of these HPD cans to my NT yesterday, but haven't even cranked the engine over yet. I'll have to make a note of the odometer reading, and track how much oil it collects.
              Is there a filter or any other material in the HPD?
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Wow that looks impressive! I WAS going to fit a Provent next week, but I kinda like this one now.... Looking at the video on the HPD website, it shows 2 stainless steel filters... Does anyone know if these need replacing periodically? I think the Provent ones do, right? Sorry, bit of a noob question, but never had a catch can before. Never needed it, as my NS is my first clogged manifold experience.
                '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
                '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
                '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
                '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• DrewXT
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                  Wow that looks impressive! I WAS going to fit a Provent next week, but I kinda like this one now.... Looking at the video on the HPD website, it shows 2 stainless steel filters... Does anyone know if these need replacing periodically? I think the Provent ones do, right? Sorry, bit of a noob question, but never had a catch can before. Never needed it, as my NS is my first clogged manifold experience.
                  Go with the Provent, they are a lot more efficient than the HPD.

The filters in the HPD really only help to concentrate the oil vapours in the gasses. The Provent filter under independent testing does a better job, and can also be plumbed for some vehicles to return the oil to the engine.

You can wash the Provent filter in diesel, but they are about $40 to replace every 40,000km or so. The other nice thing with the Provent is you don't have to remove anything from the vehicle to empty it, because it drains from the bottom of the filter

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

I wouldn't worry too much over the blackish oil. Yes - it is a concern for a new engine, but check the sump oil as well, and you will find it is getting dark too. What type of running has the car done? If it is short runs, rarely getting to operating temperature, this is normal. This is simply detergent in the oil, designed to catch blow-by products of combustion and hold them in suspension until you change the oil. If you are worried about it, change the oil sooner than 15000km.

Comment

• terryfirma
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Clare S.A.

Well after reading this post I thought I would check out my HPD catch can, over the week end. Have done just over 21,000Km since installed and only checked it once (around 3,000km)
                      Measured 60ml of dirty oil, emptied it out washed and cleaned the can. So like others here very glad to have a catch can to stop that oil entering the turbo.

Cheers

Terry
                      NH Pajero 1993 3.0 V6 GLS with ARB Bullbar, HD Suspension 2" lift, Roof rack, cargo barrier, rear drawers, onboard air compressor, Mickey Thompson MTZ tyres, Hella Spot lights, UHF radio, GPS
                      ALSO NT 30th Anniversary Model 3.2 DID Auto.(Accessory list needs to start again). Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 Tyres, ARB old man emu 50mm Suspension lift, SPV module and Catch Can,Bushskinz plates, King Brown 3" Exhaust turbo back, Flappy Paddles, Auto Mate Torque Lock up Kit.

Comment

• greig
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • kanwal

About to install a catch can ( not a Challenger ) ...

Anyone installed one and not used hose clamps ? With the barbs on the joiners and the system being low pressure, how would it go with no clamps ?

Comment

• CC2005
                          • Sep 2011
                          • Mornington Peninsula

Food for thought.

You can buy oil separators that were intended for other vehicles, OEM products from wreckers or new at very respectable prices too. You'd be surprised how many Euro cars have them as standard. Just get something that fits, some makers such as Volvo, Porche and others note turbo specific, what is the difference, I don't know as I haven't investigated too far.
                          PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by greig View Post
                            About to install a catch can ( not a Challenger ) ...

Anyone installed one and not used hose clamps ? With the barbs on the joiners and the system being low pressure, how would it go with no clamps ?
                            For the sake of a few bucks why wouldn't you put clamps on?
                            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• 900canoes
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2008
                              • FNQ

For the sake of a few bucks why wouldn't you put clamps on?
                              ... or even Tie Wraps.
                              2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X