• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big mik
    • Feb 2012
    • Adelaide

Solar controller

Just got some panels off Evil Bay. They came with a controller on the back.
    there are 6 poles on the controller
    first two are from the panels
    second two go to the battery
    third two go to load.

The battery has 12.4V and is charging
    But I am getting nothing through the load.

Am I doing something wrong, does the battery need to be fully charged before I can use the load poles Is the controller faulty.

The more I think of it the less you would use this out let, because you would have to run extra wires for a 12 DC connection point from the panels, rather than just running 12 v lights etc off the battery!
    1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch
  • schnitzel
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Bendigo

Originally posted by big mik View Post
    Just got some panels off Evil Bay. They came with a controller on the back.
    there are 6 poles on the controller
    first two are from the panels
    second two go to the battery
    third two go to load.

But I am getting nothing through the load.

Am I doing something wrong, does the battery need to be fully charged before I can use the load poles Is the controller faulty.

The more I think of it the less you would use this out let, because you would have to run extra wires for a 12 DC connection point from the panels, rather than just running 12 v lights etc off the battery!
    I have lots of solar panels and controllers and long ago stopped using the load outlet. I run everything off the battery terminals and just connect the solar panels through the outlets marked for battery.

I run my camper, my motorhome, my fuel trailer and my portable panels this way without problems.

only time i have had problems was when i used to connect load to the outlet on the controller.
    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• razorback
      • Nov 2008
      • Cairns QLD

Solar controler

Hi Big Mik, as far as i know from my solar inverter is that you will only be able to use the " load" terminals is when it gets dark(when there is no charge to the battery). It's supossed to be only for low power like lights to light up your vehicle or campsite or a smal fridge.
      Pajero NT VRX,3.2DID,Cool Silver, MMC Alu Bull Bar, No-Limt chip+Boost control unit,IPF HID, 65L AUX,Airtech Snorkel,Diff lock and traction control mod,Diff breathers,EFS HD Springs and Shocks,HD Airbag man Airbags,Dual Battery,rear camera on roof rack, Bushskins Inter-cooler+Sump+Trans-guards +Rockslider side steps, 120 Watt LED light bar on roof rack

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I doubt your battery is charging at 12.4V.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• big mik
          • Feb 2012
          • Adelaide

Thanks gents, I had a thought it may be operator error

Makes more sense now!
          1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch

Comment

• Lance
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Melbourne

Panel > Controller
            Controller > Battery
            Battery > lights, fridge, etc.

Beer Time
            2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
            2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• securegsm
              • Feb 2012
              • Melbourne

I second to that. I was in the same boat connecting solar panel directly to Agm battery for a charge and getting 12.4-12.5v at the terminals. Thought something was not right as the battery has not received much of the charge if any after almost 10 hours of grilling. I then connected solar panel to input terminals of Waeco Perfect Charge dc08 (8A dc to dc charger) and fed the Agm battery with higher 14.3v out of dc08 output. That worked much better for me. Could be just an issue with my solar panel in particular as solar panel controller "battery out" should be within 14.1-14.4v range, I was told.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              I doubt your battery is charging at 12.4V.
              Last edited by securegsm; 26-10-12, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• big mik
                • Feb 2012
                • Adelaide

The Battery started at under 12V because it had been running lights the last time I used it.
                So when I checked it was 12.4V after a short while.
                If I leave the multimeter on, depending on sun, I can see an input of upto 13.7V.
                Now I have a new question. What voltage would you expect to be comming directly out of the controller?

I have upto 20V which I am guessing the controller throws out max power until it registers a voltage or "load requirement"

Sorry it's all new to me and I don't wantr to damage anything, I just want to know how it works a little better before I buy an invertor.

Thanks guys.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

The Battery started at under 12V because it had been running lights the last time I used it.
                  So when I checked it was 12.4V after a short while.
                  If I leave the multimeter on, depending on sun, I can see an input of upto 13.7V.
                  Now I have a new question. What voltage would you expect to be comming directly out of the controller?
                  That sounds better. For a conventional lead-acid battery, the traditional "float voltage" is 2.3V per cell, or 13.8V for a 12V battery. So 13.7V (particularly if the battery is drawing significant current) sounds right.

A solar panel will have a no load "open circuit" voltage (i.e. no current), a short circuit current (bugger all voltage), and maximum power (voltage x current) is somewhere in between - depending on the light. Unfortunately, putting a solar panel directly across a battery rarely results in maximum power coming from the panel, as the voltage across the battery won't be at the maximum power point for the panel. This is why a decent controller is required; to suck maximum possible power from the panel, and put as much of that as possible into the battery.

Depending on the design of the controller, it is possible that it won't regulate the output voltage until there is a load on it; so the 20V is its maximum output at no current, but it should reduce once current flows.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• big mik
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Adelaide

cheers NJ

Now it's all starting to make sense!

Comment

• Mr Pats
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Quakers Hill

hey big mik, can you post a link to the panels you got?

I'm thinking about getting some panels myself.

Thanks
                      Pat

Comment

• big mik
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Adelaide

No problem Pat

Paid just under $100 for mine plus shipping. I don't know much about solar panels, these are heavy and don't come in a case....... but they work

Comment

• Mr Pats
                          • Jul 2011
                          • Quakers Hill

Thanks!!

I'm adding it to the the xmas wish list now!

Comment

• big mik
                            • Feb 2012
                            • Adelaide

I normally Have a wish list too.
                            Unfortunately I am off work at the moment with a crook back.
                            Lets just say pain killers and ebay don't go well with the wife. Now bought more lights and an inverter..... God I am in the dog house!

Comment

• pauld
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Melbourne

The solar regulators on the Ebay panels are generally speaking - junk.

Replace with something like:

Also, many panels on Ebay are not rated at what they are sold as, e.g. 160W 2 panel folding may be 120W. You can test in a short circuit test with an ammeter if you know what you are doing or the other way is to compare the measurements of the panels to a reputable brand panel from a supplier website.

I caught out a supplier about 2 years back, lodged a PayPal case and they refunded 33% of the purchase price.
                              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X