• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • liyunzhnen001
    • Nov 2018
    • WA

The legality of running 2 inch lift and 265/65/18 tyres

Hi guys,

I am at the point to do a 2 inch lift and thinking about one size up for the tyres in WA.

According to what I know, the limit for lift is 50mm for everything combined.

the difference between 265/65/18 and 265/60/18 is 28mm, so the car will gain 14 mm height.

Thus 2 inch lift + 14mm= 64 mm.

I think it is pretty basic set-up, but it is theoretically illegal.

The other info I got from Malaga suspension is: they said there is 18% allowable variance, which could push the limit to 59mm.

Thus, my questions are:

1: Is the 18% variance true?

2:Could anyone shed some light about the ramification regarding to insurance claim, legality or alternative solutions, if I run the 2 inch lift+ bigger tyres set-up?

My thought is: independent suspension height will affected by the load on the car. An unladen pajero with 2 inch + bigger tyres will be well above 59mm height increase, while it could be well within 59mm if there are 4 passengers and some camping gears.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by liyunzhnen001; 19-05-20, 12:37 AM.
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

If you're in Queensland I believe you can legally go 50 + 25mm (lift plus tyres)

Rules can vary between states.
    Last edited by Pixie_au; 18-05-20, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by liyunzhnen001 View Post
      Hi guys,

I am at the point to do a 2 inch lift and thinking about one size up for the tyres.

the difference between 265/65/18 and 265/60/18 is 28mm, so the car will gain 14 mm height.

The other info I got from Malaga suspension is: they said there is 18% allowable variance, which could push the limit to 59mm.

Thus, my questions are:

2:Could anyone shed some light about the ramification regarding to insurance claim, legality or alternative solutions, if I run the 2 inch lift+ bigger tyres set-up?

My thought is: independent suspension height will affected by the load on the car. An unladen pajero with 2 inch + bigger tyres will be well above 59mm height increase, while it could be well within 59mm if there are 4 passengers and some camping gears.

Thank you very much.

As your running 18 inch rims I,m guessing you either have an NW or NX.Going up to the tyre size you want will affect your transmission behaviour. The NX also has a slightly taller gear so this will be noticeable as well with the tyre increase. Fuel usage will worsen. 4 people and camping gear means a heavy vehicle. I,d stay with the standard configuration that came from the factory...you will be perfectly legal and a quality lift will improve the vehicles handling and ride. 14mm is going to make no difference at all in reality when off road . 50mm yes, 14mm no. Save your money and stick with original. Leave the bullshit taller is better syndrome to the weekend warriors. 2inch(50mm) lift will settle to a 35- 40mm height difference in time.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

This post discusses the special requirement of WA.

Factory unladen ride heights are 503mm front and 533mm rear.
        You must retain 2/3's of the original suspension travel so if you have only 90mm of wheel travel you can only raise the ride height 30mm!
        To add to the complication is there are some aftermarket struts and shockers that are supplied to fit the Pajero that are shorter than the factory units and this can reduce droop travel so the droop stop is not full compressed.
        Lift limits on the Gen 4 are 35-40mm front and 40-45mm rear, the IFS and IRS are very sensitive to changes in coil lengths and insulator compression so trying to get the correct maximum lift first time can not be as simple as just getting a suspension kit fitted.
        If you lift too high or have coils that are too strong for the weights you are carrying then not only will the ride be hard but you can also get unwanted and unnecessary activations of the ABS, ASC and TC systems.
        Most advertised 50mm/2" lifts do not give you 50mm over factory specifications, they rely on the suspension being already loaded with accessories and or sagged.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dc80
          • Jan 2019
          • Perth

Hi guys,

I am at the point to do a 2 inch lift and thinking about one size up for the tyres.

Thus, my questions are:

Thank you very much.
          I won't be much help on your first question unfortunately but here's my experience. I'm in WA too.

I have a MY16 NX, accessories are:
          - Boo's bash plates 3mm powdercoated steel (Intercooler, sump, transmission)
          - Genuine nudge bar
          - Light bar
          - Tow bar

So accessory wise, pretty light. I went with Lovells SD all around (CFR90, CRR91) and Bilsteins as don't intend to carry big loads and only tow light loads. The ride is firmish but compliant even loaded up with 5 adults and two kids. Certainly a massive improvement over stock, no my nose diving when you come to a stop and a lot less body roll!

Within a few weeks of installing the lift I considered going up to 265/65R18s from the standard 265/60/R18s but according to my calculations it would be 2mm over the 50mm combined tyre/lift increase up front (there was no issue at the rear) and did have some initial reservations over effect on gearing and TC lockup.

I have found since installing the lift the front has settled about 5-10mm. If I had of waited a bit and remeasured I could have accommodated the 13mm height increase which would have resulted from upsizing tyres to a 65 profile. It certainly would have filled the guards a bit better.

As mentioned my vehicle is prior to the change of diff ratio which was introduced in MY17 models and I believe the mild upsize in tyre profile would have minimal impact.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you have a MY16 or older and want to do a +1 upsize and lift, do the lift first, let it settle for 3-6 months minimum, measure against Old Jack's quoted factory ride heights and determine whether increasing tyre size will keep you within the 50mm total increase in ride height. If you are MY17 of newer you will likely notice more of an impact due to gearing/TC lockup.

Insurance wise, I am with RAC and they had no problem with the 2" lift. As mentioned I am well within the 50mm ride height increase so won't have any issues with insurance claims or legality, but can't comment on this should you exceed that as have not done any research into it. I would say that if insurance were to check in the event of an accident that may have been related to suspension in any way, that would be an exit clause for them so beware.

I have recorded my ride height, pre lift, after wheel alignment and several times since then which I'd be happy to post here if it helps. It shows how it has settled over time. The lift was installed in June 2019.

I hope this helps!
          2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
            • Nov 2018
            • WA

Thank you very much,guys. I am planning to go for OME or Bilstein. Could you guys tell which to go and what price should I look at including fitting?

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
              • Nov 2018
              • WA

My friend got 275/65/18, he got 12L fuel consumption which is not too bad. However, power loss is pretty bad. Bright side is he got no issues with transmission or other mechanic parts.

Thus, by just going one size up, I reckon it could be fine?

It is also for aesthetic purpose as well, 2 inch lift without bigger tyre make the car look like floating over 4 donuts.

The other thing I noticed: quite a lot of Y62 patrol owners put massive tyres like 35' or 34'. Both pajero and Y62 run independent suspensions, why Y62 could run massive tyres and pejero could not?
              Last edited by liyunzhnen001; 18-05-20, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• dc80
                • Jan 2019
                • Perth

My friend got 275/65/18, he got 12L fuel consumption which is not too bad. However, power loss is pretty bad. Bright side is he got no issues with transmission or other mechanic parts.

It is also for aesthetic purpose as well, 2 inch lift without bigger tyre make the car look like floating over 4 donuts.

The other thing I noticed: quite a lot of Y62 patrol owners put massive tyres like 35' or 34'. Both pajero and Y62 run independent suspensions, why Y62 could run massive tyres and pejero could not?
                One size up - i.e. 265/65R18 is probably fine for an MY17 on and will fill the guards a bit more. Y62 standard tyre size from my research is 275/60R20 (33"), so going up to 34" or 35" isn't such a big jump relatively. Pajero standard size works out to about 30.5", quite a big difference.
                2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• dc80
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Perth

Thank you very much,guys. I am planning to go for OME or Bilstein. Could you guys tell which to go and what price should I look at including fitting?
                  I picked up a Lovells/Bilstein kit from Superspares Ebay $1180 during a sale last year which was a bargain. These were preassembled too. They are about $1600 at the present, maybe wait for a 20% off Ebay sale which includes a seller that stocks these kits.

If you don't DIY install (it's a easy 4-5 hour job with basic tools) it will be around the $500-600 mark for install and wheel alignment.

I got a quote from a local Ian Diffen $2150 supply, fit and align. Another place $2050 supply and fit only (or $500 fit only).

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
                    • Nov 2018
                    • WA

Originally posted by dc80 View Post
                    I picked up a Lovells/Bilstein kit from Superspares Ebay $1180 during a sale last year which was a bargain. These were preassembled too. They are about $1600 at the present, maybe wait for a 20% off Ebay sale which includes a seller that stocks these kits.

If you don't DIY install (it's a easy 4-5 hour job with basic tools) it will be around the $500-600 mark for install and wheel alignment.

I got a quote from a local Ian Diffen $2150 supply, fit and align. Another place $2050 supply and fit only (or $500 fit only).
                    Thank you for your reply,mate. I am not sure mine is MY17 or 18, I bought in Dec 2017. I got quote from Malaga suspension for $2150 including everything.
                    My friend did OME for 2100+ from ARB, everything included.

By the way, do you have FB?

Comment

• Stacho
                      • Apr 2018
                      • Perth

Interesting. I increased mine from 265/60 r18 to 275/65 r18 and had no perceptible fuel economy penalty. I’m a stickler for that stuff and calculate my consumption every down south trip based on average speed between a full tank in Perth and refill in Manjimup. Stuff all diff for the tyres. My big roof basket however....big difference. Took it off. 2L/100km improvement. Put it back on and got the 2L penalty right back. So my measurements were correct.

Comment

• Ozzz
                        • May 2019
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Stacho View Post
                        Interesting. I increased mine from 265/60 r18 to 275/65 r18 and had no perceptible fuel economy penalty. I’m a stickler for that stuff and calculate my consumption every down south trip based on average speed between a full tank in Perth and refill in Manjimup. Stuff all diff for the tyres. My big roof basket however....big difference. Took it off. 2L/100km improvement. Put it back on and got the 2L penalty right back. So my measurements were correct.
                        NT has great economy.
                        My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• dc80
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Perth

Thank you for your reply,mate. I am not sure mine is MY17 or 18, I bought in Dec 2017. I got quote from Malaga suspension for $2150 including everything.
                          My friend did OME for 2100+ from ARB, everything included.

By the way, do you have FB?
                          That seems to still be the going rate. What springs/shocks are Malaga suspension quoting on. Hear they have a good rep! Yep I'm on FB.

Comment

• Mundy55
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Gold Coast

I have been thinking of going up one size to 265/65R18, mainly for the extra 14mm of clearance but also to improve the speedo reading. However, having just put in an Auto-mate, it would mean not changing into 4th till a little over 60kph and into 5th at around 85kph. As it is, it doesn't change down until 1500rpm and at that rpm lugs a little. The larger tires would make that worse. Open road fuel economy would probably improve but I think city driving would be worse. So, I think I'll keep to the standard size. Less stress on the transmission anyway (rationalisaton!!).

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
                              • Nov 2018
                              • WA

Originally posted by dc80 View Post
                              That seems to still be the going rate. What springs/shocks are Malaga suspension quoting on. Hear they have a good rep! Yep I'm on FB.
                              Malaga one is Bilstein shox with dobinson spings

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X