Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 11-07-19

Default P2764 Auto Trans Fault Code NT Pajero

Hi All,

I've started to get the check engine light flashing recently with an associated "N" light flashing aswell, checked the code and it's P2764.

This relates to, P2764 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low

When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects a continuous open or short to ground in the Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulated (TCC PWM) Solenoid valve circuit, then the P2764 code sets.

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lock up kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

If i clear the code it drives ok for a bit, but comes back. If i clear the code and drive on the highway, engage tq converter lock-up, it works fine, then if i disengage the switch it throws a code again sometimes.
Old 12-07-19
Valued Member

Since no-one has come back at you with this, I'll have a go. You say "Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low"

The fact that you can clear the code and then drive for a while before the code comes back suggests that the fluid pressure in the box is dropping a bit as you drive. You may have low fluid levels (in which case the fluid will get hot, and thin out a bit - unlikely). You may have a partial blockage in the system, causing excessive losses in the circuits, hence a drop in pressure. You may have a stuffed transmission (unlikely).

First things first - check the fluid level. Then check (if possible) to see that it is not overheating. Then if all that fails, change the fluid and see if that fixes the problem. Blocked filters can cause all sorts of problems.
Old 12-07-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
Hi All,

I've started to get the check engine light flashing recently with an associated "N" light flashing aswell, checked the code and it's P2764.

This relates to, P2764 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low

When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects a continuous open or short to ground in the Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulated (TCC PWM) Solenoid valve circuit, then the P2764 code sets.

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lock up kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

If i clear the code it drives ok for a bit, but comes back. If i clear the code and drive on the highway, engage tq converter lock-up, it works fine, then if i disengage the switch it throws a code again sometimes.
I think I've seen this code when I was running my lockup, typically triggering as I switched the lockup on or off. I believe the "circuit low" relates to low current flowing in the solenoid circuit, as the ECU monitors this, so I think you're on the right track with the Wholesale kit, and the resistor in particular. If the ECU happens to take a current reading as the relay in the kit is switching that could cause an unexpected reading and trigger the fault.

The factory ECU uses two wires to energise the solenoid, i.e. current goes out and back via pins in an ECU plug. I believe some earlier Wholesale kits only connected the resistor to the positive supply, and grounded the other side, relying on the current returning through the body. If your kit is wired this way, there could be a few points in the return path that could contribute to your problem. Do you have suitable equipment to monitor the current in this circuit, to get a feel for what it's doing?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 16-07-19

Thanks for the replies.

NJ, don't really have suitable equipment for monitoring amperage, just a multi meter.
Old 16-07-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
Hi All,

I have a wholesale automatics torque converter lockup kit fitted. Has worked fine for a few years, is it likely to be related to this? I did read a while ago some people had trouble with the resistor associated with this kit.

I was in the same boat as you. Had the Wholesale TC lockup kit for a couple of years and it got to the point where it kept throwing codes and finally stopped working.
I upgraded the MM4x4 Automate. In the early days there was still an intermittent code, but MM4x4 worked on it and created updates which have ironed out the bugs.
To throw out an (uneducated) idea for the wholesale kit issue is the resistor might be playing up
Old 18-07-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoplaces View Post
I was in the same boat as you. Had the Wholesale TC lockup kit for a couple of years and it got to the point where it kept throwing codes and finally stopped working.
I upgraded the MM4x4 Automate. In the early days there was still an intermittent code, but MM4x4 worked on it and created updates which have ironed out the bugs.
To throw out an (uneducated) idea for the wholesale kit issue is the resistor might be playing up
Think i might just change the resistor and see how that goes. Easy fix if that's it.
Old 03-08-19

New resistor didn't fix it unfortunately.... Next step is to remove lock up controller and put wiring back to standard im thinking.
Old 03-08-19
Valued Member

P2764 is caused by the transmission ECU not being able to drive either the torque converter lockup solenoid or the resistor. The ECU is always pushing a small signal into the solenoid (or resistor) as part of itís real-time diagnostics. The moment it canít detect a signal it throws that code (immediately).

Good news is I think it is highly unlikely there is a problem with your transmission.
More likely the wholesale automatics kits has a problem (see letsgoplaces post above)

Iíve had a several people change to my kit after problems with wholesale one.

Yes, try putting it back to factory configuration to confirm all is ok with the trans.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 04-08-19

I was getting the same code with my wholesale automatics box. Changed the resistor, checked the earths and then rang wholesale autos. Very helpful, sent it back to them, got it repaired under warranty and sent back inside a week. All good now. Second time it's been back, so not excited by quality, but happy with service.
Old 10-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdb View Post
I was getting the same code with my wholesale automatics box. Changed the resistor, checked the earths and then rang wholesale autos. Very helpful, sent it back to them, got it repaired under warranty and sent back inside a week. All good now. Second time it's been back, so not excited by quality, but happy with service.
Ok that's something i guess. How long had you owned the kit? Wondering how long they will service it under warranty....