Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > ASX / Outlander/ Eclipse Cross

ASX / Outlander/ Eclipse Cross For the "All Wheel Drive " enthusiasts.

Old 17-06-19
Valued Member

Default Headlights come on with ignition

My wife's ZJ Outlander has developed a funny one. When I turn the ignition switch to ON, the headlights (and taillights) come on as well. Low beam only. Headlight switch is in the OFF position. Light switch works normally when the ignition switch is OFF. I have tried following the wiring diagram, but I get lost very easily.

I am going to try disconnecting the battery and see if the ETACS ECU resets itself. Anyone had this experience, or have any ideas?
Old 20-06-19

That sounds like the follow me home lights. It's a feature and not really a problem. Unless it is a problem.
Old 20-06-19
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, the 'Follow me home lights' come on when you remove the ignition key. Anyway, this is the very basic budget model and it probably doesn't have that function. It has been too cold (-9 Deg C) this morning), and my wife hasn't brought the car in for a pit stop, so as yet I haven't been out to disconnect the battery. As long as the lights go off when the ignition goes off (which they do), then it is not urgent as far as I am concerned. It never did this before - only in the last few weeks. It had a run to and from Sydney last week, and I was hoping that maybe the problem would go away, but not so. Sydney normally makes things worse, and we have to go back there again soon.I don't want to play too much with it in case it doesn't want to go after I play.
Old 21-06-19
Valued Member

Well, success (I hope). The car came in for a pit stop, and I managed to disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. Reconnect, turn on ignition and NO LIGHTS! Lights still come on and off normally when asked to do so. Just to check, I started the engine (it seems OK), and now for the final test, we have another long run to Sydney coming up so I'll see how the beast goes. Fingers crossed, it all seems back to normal....

So if this works OK, here is a solution should any of you meet this problem.
Old 28-06-19
Valued Member

Well, the headlights still stay off unless I want them on. But now I have noticed that the driver's window does not automatically go up by itself. I have to hold the button to get the window to close. It seems as if something has happened to the ETACS ECU. Haven't found anything else (yet) which is going wrong. If that's all that goes wrong I won't complain.
Old 29-06-19
Valued Member

Hey Erad

Normally auto windows need resetting after battery disconnect. With the window up ignition on press down but hold button until the window is fully down and keep holding down for a couple of seconds.

Then press button up again holding uuntil window stops and continue holding few a few seconds.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 01-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
Hey Erad

Normally auto windows need resetting after battery disconnect. With the window up ignition on press down but hold button until the window is fully down and keep holding down for a couple of seconds.

Then press button up again holding uuntil window stops and continue holding few a few seconds.
Thank you for that advice. I will try it ASAP. I wonder what else will change after the battery disconnect? Certainly the remote door lock is playing up. I had a new battery put in the key, but it is still going silly. My wife's remote works OK, and that is the one which gets used most of the time.
Old 06-07-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
Hey Erad

Aussieintas: You are a legend. I did what you said, and it all works now> Wonderful. Now, to get the remote lock/unlock working from my key. It works from my wife's key, but not mine. I had a new battery installed, but still no go. Maybe the battery is sus??

Has anyone had any problems with remotes not working even with new batteries?