• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

2022 Pajero Sport QG? and Triton Hybrid

All-new Mitsubishi Triton to arrive first among the Alliance utes, but unlikely to follow German competitors with a V6 turbo-diesel. It will have hybrid, though
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • shawty950
    • Jun 2011
    • Brisbane

v6 cummins for me...Mmmmmm
    SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
      • Sep 2019
      • NZ

Interesting, unfortunately the PEV uses a rubber band transmission which would last 5 minutes if towing a digger etc. So hopefully they will develope PEV with a proper Auto.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

By 2030 I think this type of technology like it or not will be more the norm than not?
        It appears that is the way the market is heading & no one really knows??

But the biggy that plays on my mind is, buying todays technology currently which can easily last 10 to 15 years depending on your useage takes ownership through to 2030/ 2035's.

What will the re-sale value of that vehicle be or is it destine for the scrap heap due to cost of ownership/ fuel by then which will weigh on re-sale values?
        Could make current technology highly sort after as well

One saving grace is I suppose as trucks use diesel, at least the fuel should still be available, although at what cost it remains to be seen?

The other reality is the good old government still requires their pound of flesh, fuel at the moment they make billions 43 + cents excise + GST must take that too high 0.50 cents per litre earn & somehow or rather will do the same out of new technology vehicles in the long term or be n our pockets another way??

Interesting times alright
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
          • Sep 2019
          • NZ

Jasonmc73
          Good points. Can these new diesels run on coconut oil? May be the answer.

The worst thing about any hybrid is the reliance on ICE technology and this seems odd to me. I loved the economy test Topgear did on comparing a Toyota Prias with the BMW M5 silly I know but also enlightening. If I was towing my tractor with a hybrid there is a strong likelihood that my PS will use less fuel than a Outlander PHEV and with less wear and tear. I use these two for obvious reasons but also because I was thinking of buying a PHEV till I read it used the CVT.
          CHEERS

Comment

• bige
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
            Jasonmc73
            I was thinking of buying a PHEV till I read it used the CVT.
            CHEERS

Outlander PHEV use a electric motor in the front and the rear to drive the vehicle
            they don't have a CVT

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
              • Sep 2019
              • NZ

Thats news oh well not what I was led to believe. Not that it matters to me. Thanks for that though.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Correct, no CVT on the PHEV.

The future for 4wds is Hybrid Electric. DC electric hub motors on each wheel so no diffs, gearboxes or transfer cases, just a small internal combustion engine working at peak efficiency, driving an electric generator supplying a high capacity battery and the hub motors. Regenerating brakes will recover some of the energy loses associated with braking.

DC motors produce huge amounts of torque so moving heavy load is not a problem, this is what diesel/electric locomotives and huge mining trucks have.
                DC motors fitted to sports cars are the quickest accelerating production vehicles.

I have had an Outlander PHEV as a loan car several times and have been very impressed with the technology, drive experience and the fuel economy. If I needed an AWD family wagon this would be on the top of my shopping list. If I need a mid size hatchbak then the Toyota Prus C would be my choice and a family sedan would be the Camry Hybrid.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• pajeromack
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Correct, no CVT on the PHEV.

The future for 4wds is Hybrid Electric. DC electric hub motors on each wheel so no diffs, gearboxes or transfer cases, just a small internal combustion engine working at peak efficiency, driving an electric generator supplying a high capacity battery and the hub motors...
                  DC motors produce huge amounts of torque so moving heavy load is not a problem, this is what diesel/electric locomotives and huge mining trucks have.
                  DC motors fitted to sports cars are the quickest accelerating production vehicles.
                  Hub motors don't have enough torque for automotive use, and the higher torque designs tend to be speed restricted. Also they increase unsprung weight significantly. Electric motors still tend to need gears. For instance, the Tesla Model S has a 10:1 reduction.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                    Hub motors don't have enough torque for automotive use, and the higher torque designs tend to be speed restricted. Also they increase unsprung weight significantly. Electric motors still tend to need gears. For instance, the Tesla Model S has a 10:1 reduction.
                    Have a look at the Rivian RS1

Ford have Hybrid and full electric version of the F150 ute and Explorer coming.
                    Ford is trying to get people excited about the electric F-150 by doing stunts like having one pull train cars. The effort is apparently working.

OJ.
                    Last edited by old Jack; 07-11-19, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                      • Sep 2019
                      • NZ

Seems we are both right? Though how something can be called a CTV when it only has one gear is beyond me.

How many speeds does the PHEV have?

Equipped with a@*$#Mitsubishi CVT transmission, this@*$#Outlander PHEV@*$#will have@*$#only one speed. The manufacturer did not want to equip this hybrid SUV with simulated ratios like the other models.

This link is good with a photo of the CVT?

It appears the petrol engine only drives the wheels through the 1 gear CVT[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] when very specific conditions are met.

C constant
                      V variable
                      T transmission
                      1 out of 3 ain't bad I guess

Comment

• pajeromack
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        Have a look at the Rivian RS1

Ford have Hybrid and full electric version of the F150 ute and Explorer coming.
                        Ford is trying to get people excited about the electric F-150 by doing stunts like having one pull train cars. The effort is apparently working.

OJ.
                        None of those are hub motors, but they both look like promising geared-electric designs.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

There are multiple companies around the world that have been working on in wheel hub motors.
                          Protean USA and NSK Japan are worth looking at for those that are interested.
                          Plenty of info on the Internet.
                          The next 5 to 10 years will see Hybrid and full EV vehicles become a viable alternative.

OJ.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                            • Sep 2019
                            • NZ

Old Jack I am of the opinion that Hybrids are a stepping stone till a better means of electrical storage is found. Perhaps Hydrogen is an answer. My biggest issue with hybrids is the service costs. You drag around batteries plus still have ICE engineering. Added to that the transmittion of these technologies to the wheels. Pure EV is so simple with low service costs. No transmission and no ICE. But still love the sound of a v8 though.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
                              Old Jack I am of the opinion that Hybrids are a stepping stone till a better means of electrical storage is found. Perhaps Hydrogen is an answer. My biggest issue with hybrids is the service costs. You drag around batteries plus still have ICE engineering. Added to that the transmittion of these technologies to the wheels. Pure EV is so simple with low service costs. No transmission and no ICE. But still love the sound of a v8 though.

Agree times are changing, remember when we went from film cameras to digital cameras, they provided us with a classic shutter click sound so we knew that we had taken a photo! Maybe there will be an option to have a V8 sound that replicates the engine noise at whatever speed, gear and accelerator position you are using, faithly reproduced and transmitted through the cars sound system?

Hybrids will be a necessary stepping stone until we get fuel cells, for how long is anyone guess but I suspect it will be for quite a few years. The Protean wheel hub motors are interesting because they can be retrofitted to existing vehicles.These could be combined with a flat lithium battery that is positioned on the floor of the cargo area but is only 50mm high. Most of the fuel used in an internal combustion motor is for accelerating the vehicle up to speed, so if the hub motors were only used for this purpose then there would be significant improvements in fuel economy of ICE vehicles particularly in city and suburban traffic. The battery could be topped up be regenrative braking and a small vehicle mounted solar panel during away from home use and then recharged by mains power overnight.

There is a hydraulic hybrid system for heavy vehicles, where there are hydraulic pump/motors fitted to drivelines so when the vehicle is slowing down the rotation of the driveline rotates the hydraulic pump. This generates high pressure hydraulic fluid that is stored in an accumulator and when the vehicle is require to accelerate this hydraulic pressure is released back to the hydraulic pump in the opposite direction so the pump becomes a drive motor. The hydraulic motor provides extra power to the driveline so less fuel is required by the ICE to get the vehicle moving again.
                              Google "hydraulic hybrid heavy vehicles"

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X