• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lance
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Melbourne

Which Pajero do I NOT want ?

I backed into a power pole recently and it appears I may be in need of a replacement vehicle.
    Current is an NP 3.2 Auto, 298,000km.

It’s been a ripper vehicle and I’ll be sad to see it go but my question here is what Pajero in the
    $10- 12,000 range do I NOT want……..I will want Diesel, Auto.
    There are a few NS about in that range with equal mileage
    Is the NS a better Paj, should I stick with the NPs, or are there other suggestions ?
    What are the level specs in order…. GLS, Exceed etc ?

I know basically what I do want......what I’m looking for here is anything with inherent problems to steer clear of.
    2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
    2009 VW Crafter motorhome
  • stevehendo
    • Sep 2014
    • Nhulunbuy, NT

Which Pajero do I NOT want ?

If I had my time again I’d probably try for an NS. It would be nice not wondering when the injector pump in my NP is going to die.

There are also posts on here that say what models have the DPF and to stay away from them. I don’t have any first hand experience with them though.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

NS release November 2006........NS bottom to top level is GLX, VRX then Exceed. In March 2008 they released 25th Anniversary Edition and in September 2008 25th Anniversary Edition but not many of either model about.

NT realeased December 2009.....models GL, GLX, GLS, VRX then Exceed.

Just realised after typing the above realised we have this in the forum, link below. Scroll doen to Gen 3 and Gen 4 models, has details of release, some details of spec levels etc.

Other thing to do is do google search on Pajero brochures for info.

Im sure you have read about the NS auto diesel DPF and some issues it can present to some, but not all.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

Thanks chaps.
        The prospect of a replacement diesel pump and/or DPF are right up there in my concerns so I s'pose I'd be looking to avoid them where possible.

I guess I've been spoilt with my NP experience.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune.

Any way you can stretch to a early NT? - even the "passive DPF" on these doesn't appear to cause issues like some NS cars. Even better from mid 2009 when passive was dropped.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

It seems the DPF issue can be "managed" (ie bypassed!).

A bit hard to bypass an injection pump.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

My NS has never had an issue at all and has 240000kms. It does get a good 20km run on highway to and from work which will help I suppose.

Suppose do you get another NP knowing there is a possibility of a pump issue or go for an NS knowing there is the possibility of a DPF issue.

I know there are some people who have had the DPF issue and will probably comment on here to stay away but many haven't had the issue, like me, so are content to recommend them. Same with NP fuel pump issue I suppose, like yourself.

In an ideal world buying an NT gets you away from either of these 2 known issues. Have a read of post link below for some iinfo.

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

If your current NP is written off, can you buy back the wreck? Even if you don't have salvage rights, your insurance company may consider an offer from you as easier than disposing of it through "traditional" channels - particularly if you indicate you'll insure your next 4wd with them.

Buy back the wreck, then buy another NP. Take the fuel pump from your current NP, have it preemptively rebuilt, then installed in your new NP. Then recon your spare pump, and sell it as reconditioned - even better if you can sell it with a warranty.

Transfer across anything you want from your old NP to the new one, then flog what's left for whatever you can get - invite a wrecker to tow away what's left, even scrap metal merchants might take it.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Roofchop
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Carool, Australia

^^^^^
                  What NJ said!
                  2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Roofchop
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Carool, Australia

^^^^^
                    What NJ said!

Can we have pics of the wreck?
                    2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                      My NS has never had an issue at all and has 240000kms. It does get a good 20km run on highway to and from work which will help I suppose.

Suppose do you get another NP knowing there is a possibility of a pump issue or go for an NS knowing there is the possibility of a DPF issue.

I know there are some people who have had the DPF issue and will probably comment on here to stay away but many haven't had the issue, like me, so are content to recommend them.
                      Doing 2x20km highway trips daily is definitely good for minimising or eliminating DPF issues.
                      If you are doing short trips or stop/start slow peak hour driving you would be taking a big risk getting an auto NS in my humble opinion.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                        Doing 2x20km highway trips daily is definitely good for minimising or eliminating DPF issues.
                        If you are doing short trips or stop/start slow peak hour driving you would be taking a big risk getting an auto NS in my humble opinion.
                        Yes, it is all about understanding how the DPF works, what you need to do re long runs to keep it happy, including the correct low ash oil.
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• aussieintas
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Sorell, Tasmania

Yep my NS gets new low ash oil every 10000kms

Previously
                          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual