Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 21-10-12

Default 2nd Row Seat problem fixed.

Hi All,

Firstly thanks to all of the post that helped me fix my problem with the 2nd row 2/3 seat not folding up.

I read all of the clever post saying how to get the seat up and it took me at lease 20-40 tries over 3 months until it finally came up. I pulled it apart and studied it intently - well at least I thought about a lot.

None of the levers that make the seat recline or release the seat to fold forward release the locks so there is no combination that will fold the seat forward.

Somebody can correct me but this is what I found.

There are two locking mechanism on the 2/3 seat and this is why we have so much trouble with them. Each mechanism has their own release cable activated by the movement of the backrest of the seat folding forward and down onto the seat cushion. On my vehicle, the locks start activating after about 30 degrees of movement of the back rest folding forward - this must be when the cables start pulling on the cams.

The locking/unlocking mechanism are resistance loaded so if the locks have any resistance they will not unlock - must be a reason for this - and the cam simply 'jumps' over the unlock part. I tried this many times.

They also only unlock for a sort distance just before before the seat rest is fully horizontal (probably between 5 and 15 degrees off horizontal) so that when in the full down position they are again locked and safe.

If both locking mechanism either don't release at the same time or the back rest reaches the down position the whole seat will not lift up and fold forward.

My problem was one of the locks released about 5 degrees before the other and relocked again before the other lock released and this wouldn't allow the seat to release - who knows how the !@#$%^ seat released but I am glad it did so I could fix it.

As per the instructions on this forum I adjusted the cable so that they released together - a bit fiddly when you are trying to hold the back rest up with the seat cushion in the half way position.

Anyway now that it is set up correctly there is no technique required and it just works easily until the cable stretches again and I have the problem again - so I took some picture for next time.

Here are a couple of the pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pajero Rear Seat both Locks.jpg (122.8 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg Pajero Rear Seat Lock mechanism small.jpg (123.3 KB, 742 views)
Old 22-10-12

Brilliant. Thanks. Had problems with this for years and now you appear to have nailed it with a great explanation complete with photos.
A weekend job sometime in the future.
Cheers
Andrew.
Old 17-12-12

Unhappy Sits not locking down in 92/95 Pajero.

Will this fix if the Sit will not lock down? As I am new to the Pajero sit problems and just got one. The sit will not lock down.. 2 sits in rear of my car as I have just replaced the old sit because it would not unlock with ones out of a series two 95 model. I have a 92 model. I hope I make sense. Thank you for your time with this one.
Old 18-12-12

Default not sure I can help but I will try

Have no idea what the locking mechanism is on the 92-95 models so I can't be sure but on my 2007 NS (and all other NS /NT models) there is a CAM that locks the seat down and this might be not releasing and locking the seat down - due to corrosion dirt etc. (just guessing here)

I don't know for sure but even if the two lock releasing cables (assuming you have them as well) are broken, stretched or not properly adjusted, the seat should still lock - and that is our main problem.

Have you tried taking the cover off the underside of the seat and seeing if the locking mechanism is the same as in the pictures?

If it is the same as my pictures, I can zoom in on my picture and point out the locking CAM so you can test it.
Old 24-12-12

I'll have to do this on mine too.

Didn't know I had a problem until I tried to fold the seat down to fit the bike in the other day. Was very annoyed as I just wanted to throw it in and go.

Thanks
Old 02-01-13

Great post

I have had intermittent problem over the years with the seat not releasing even Mitsubishi dealer couldn't fix. Nice work
Old 17-01-13

Send a message via Yahoo to 4theateam
Default 2nd row seat still my problem

Hi guys,

Well after 6yrs, following the posts here and many hundreds of attempts, i still donot have my second row seats lifted.
So if there is someone closer to Caloundra. who thinks they got the knack, n wants to give mine a crack.
I am happy to offer a sixpack of their fav drinking poison (beer or mixers) for the assistance.
It is frustrating!!
Cheers

David
Old 27-01-13

Smile You Beauty, finally released seat.

Thanks, I've been unable to get the double seat going for 2 years since purchased. Finally pulled the single seat apart this morning and started to make some sence but still couldn't do a thing as I couldn't get to the mechanism. The comments regarding mechanisms operating before horizontal and not together twigged something upstairs. Mine was also operating early but also not releasing together. Solution was to apply vertical pressure on the back of the seat while slowly moving the back rest down. One mechanism realeased, then about 5 degrees more the second mechanism released (still about 20 degrees from full movement) and the seat popped up. Repeated several times and worked each time. Still to adjust mechanism.

I was recommended by my late neighbour (sadly since deceased) to visit the forum as it had heaps of hints and tips. He was spot on, thanks Rob and thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Sponelle.

Last edited by Sponelle; 27-01-13 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 22-09-13
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theateam View Post
Hi guys,

Well after 6yrs, following the posts here and many hundreds of attempts, i still donot have my second row seats lifted.
So if there is someone closer to Caloundra. who thinks they got the knack, n wants to give mine a crack.
I am happy to offer a sixpack of their fav drinking poison (beer or mixers) for the assistance.
It is frustrating!!
Cheers

David
hi,

as you lower the topper part apply lift force as you lower the double seat and it will unlock.. for me the single 2nd row seat i used the handle and did the same and it unlocked no problem.

try that i guess it will work.. you will hear the seats unlock as you lower the back rest/back.

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Old 02-06-14

Default 2nd Row Seat problem fixed.

I had a play with my 3rd row seat tonight and after much pain and heartache i have found a temporary solution. You need to put the bracket under the last nut and then tighten the two nuts against the bottom of the cable.Please see pictures attached. I have also attached pictures of the side cable.
The leaver on the side of your seat rotates a metal bar that releases the 2nd upper cable. The 2nd upper cable release the two locking latches under the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0669.jpg (192.9 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.jpg (193.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0677.jpg (196.0 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by SeanL; 03-06-14 at 07:53 AM.