Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 28-08-19

Default Which tyre (again)

Down to 2 chooses both 265 65 18

Pirelli Scorpion ATR Plus @ $265

or

BFG KO 2 @ $349.00

I know the BFGs are a popular tyre but not sure how noisy they are and wet grip.
Had the old Scorpion ATRs on my old Disco and they have been great and quiet on the highway, anyone heard reports on the plus version. This is doing my head in really need someone to tell me straight why not to buy either.
Old 28-08-19
Valued Member

Smile

hey mate if you buy the bfg ko2 make sure they are made in the good old usa I have them on my paj atm and very happy camper I all so have the same size
Old 28-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsgls View Post
hey mate if you buy the bfg ko2 make sure they are made in the good old usa I have them on my paj atm and very happy camper I all so have the same size
GLS Does that mean that some are not made in the US
Old 28-08-19
Valued Member

They are quite different tyres from what I can see.

The KO2 is a much heavier and more aggressive tyre (load rating of 122 and pretty blocky tread pattern). The Pirelli looks to be a bit more aggressive than the old version but it's certainly less so than the BFG, and only has a load rating of 114.

I'd say it really depends on how much off-road driving you are going to do. The BFGs are great off road and pretty decent on the bitumen (my last set was KO2s in 265/65r17). I'd expect the Pirellis to be better on the black stuff but not as capable off road.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 28-08-19

The Pirelli scorpions are bloody fantastic and thatís a sharp price for 18s. I got 85k out of pirelli ATRs on a prado doing 90/10 blacktop / gravel. Very quiet, pump water really well. Just make sure you keep them pumped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 NX Exceed, Pearl White, MM Steel Bar, MM towbar, Provent 200 catch can, 140Ah Aux with Projecta IDC25 DC-DC Charger
Old 28-08-19
Valued Member

only buy usa bfg tyres as some are made in different countries and they are not so good thats the info I was given buy a couple of tyre places
Old 29-08-19

I just fitted 4 of the Pirelli Scorpios plus to my 1999 Pajero and have just driven to the Goldfields in Victoria towing a 1968 Viscount caravan, this trip was possibly best for comfort and less stress that we have done over the years, Had Kenda Kleva fitted previously and was glad to see them gone. The Pirelli did not show any indication of wandering or noise and we traveled at 100 kmh where possible and on the freeway for most of the trip from near Nowra. Extremely happy with the decision to go with the Pirellis.
Roadblock, what pressures are you running your Pirellis at ???? I may have mine a bit low at 36 psi.

Graham

Last edited by 2lateagain; 29-08-19 at 07:52 AM.
Old 30-08-19

I also looked into BFGs.

Im about to get a set of Coopers stmaxx 265 70 17.

I have experience with the old Pirelli ATR. Fantastic tyre for the typical mostly blacktop/occasional weekend away. No experience with the new one.

If that is your usage and particularly if noise and wet performance are important then ive read elsewhere many times the BFG will not be as good at those things as other AT tyres such as the Pirellis. Particularly when they wear down a bit.

If high load rating and long gravel/dirt road driving (such as on corrugations) is common or necessary for you then the KO2s will prob do the job better with better longevity/security.
2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories
Old 31-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merts View Post
They are quite different tyres from what I can see.

The KO2 is a much heavier and more aggressive tyre (load rating of 122 and pretty blocky tread pattern). The Pirelli looks to be a bit more aggressive than the old version but it's certainly less so than the BFG, and only has a load rating of 114.

I'd say it really depends on how much off-road driving you are going to do. The BFGs are great off road and pretty decent on the bitumen (my last set was KO2s in 265/65r17). I'd expect the Pirellis to be better on the black stuff but not as capable off road.
Hey Mert this nailed it for me, will be offroad max10% of there life no doubt the BFGs are a superior offroad tyre but they do have a downside, will go with the Pirellis.
Old 01-09-19

Pirelli Scorpion ATR Plus @ $265 Location for this price please
Grahame