• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fatboyslim
    • Apr 2013
    • Werribee, Victoria

NW Snorkel

Hi all.
    Please forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I have searched dozens of threads and am still unclear on what to do.
    Now, the million dollar question....
    Do I really need a snorkel?
    Now I guess the answer to this question is different for everyone depending on what you intend to do with the car.
    My situation is simple. I do bugger all water crossings and if I do it's no more than a foot deep. I live in suburban Melbourne, tow a boat and do a lot of country driving(on bitumen). I do the odd trip up to the murray and drive through a few puddles and a bit of mud. That's about it.
    A mate is trying to convince me that my engine will perform better due to it getting cleaner, cooler air but I have come across little evidence to suggest spending 1k and cutting a hole in the guard to warrant doing it.
    Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Never argue with an idiot. He might drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience!!

2014 VRX, 3.2tdi, ARB Bull Bar, Awning, uniden uhf, KO2 tyres. Pretty standard, but good enough for me.
  • Hazpet
    • May 2014
    • Mandurah

Fatboyslim. I'm with you and have decided for what I do I don't need a snorkel. I can think of better things to spend the money on, like more diesel. Besides SWMBO doesn't want a "funnel" as she calls them on the car.
    2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Short answer is ‘no’...

Snorkels have two functions - limiting dust entering the intake (due to increased height of the intake) and reducing the change of water entering the intake in deep water crossings.

The performance gains (ram effect and cooler air) are minimal at best. (Both my current and previous Pajeros have snorkels).
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

Every 4WD I have owned has had a snorkel fitted by the previous owner. And they have been useful as we have done a lot of remote touring and sometimes deep water crossings. Our recently purchased NW Pajero does not have one and I will not be fitting one to it. We will now only be touring dirt roads and I will be avoiding water crossings if at all possible. On the very odd occasion that a water crossing needs to be negotiated I have a very good water bra to fit. And, I am sealing up the joins in the air intake piping to limit dust and water ingress to the air box. Save your money, use some common sense if in a convoy on dusty roads and enjoy life. Take a couple of spare air filters away if in dusty conditions. You could buy a truck full for the cost of a snorkel

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• JoeMcDermott
          • Jun 2014
          • Gold Coast

I agree with the others – a snorkel does not sound like a must have for you.

The performance gains are not there either – take a look at your air intake. It is just under the bonnet lip facing forwards and from there the air has a more or less straight shot back to the airbox. A snorkel will introduce a whole heap of bends that will slow down the air velocity and despite the larger size of the air intake “mouth” it does not improve the performance.

That forward facing standard air intake does however mean that you should take ANY water crossing nice and slow and NEVER let it get above headlamp height otherwise you will suck a load of water into the airbox and probably the engine.
          2014 NW with OL bar, 9,500lb winch, Bushskinz, TJM dual battery kit, UHF, Outback drawers, ARB compressor, MSA fridge slide with Evakool fridge, 55mm lift and rear airbags, water tank and pump.

Comment

• Fatboyslim
            • Apr 2013
            • Werribee, Victoria

Cheers gentlemen.
            Much appreciated.
            Never argue with an idiot. He might drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience!!

2014 VRX, 3.2tdi, ARB Bull Bar, Awning, uniden uhf, KO2 tyres. Pretty standard, but good enough for me.

Comment

• 2007_pajero
              • Oct 2012
              • Adelaide

I was in same catch 22 where should I go for Snorkel or not. I don't do serious 4wdriving and don't remember doing deep water crossing on my last NS. I guess illl use money to upgrade suspension and also tyres.
              2007 NS--- Sold
              2014 NW--Current

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X