Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 19-09-17

Default Steel Rims for VRX NW

G'day,

Does anyone know if you can get steel Sunraysia rims to fit the a VRX NW Paj? Probably prefer dropping from 18 inch to 17 inch to give me a better and hopefully cheaper range of tyres? Any help or information would be appreciated.

Would like to start doing a bit more 4WDing and have already chipped one of the alloys.

On another note entirely, does anyone know if Roley is still making the rear bumper skid plate. I missed my opportunity to buy a while ago and may have left my run a bit late. Can he be contacted via email?

Thanks
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

To the best of my knowledge, no aftermarket steel rims fit the NW satisfactorily, due to the large front brake calipers. The genuine MMAL 17" steel rims fit properly (I've had them on an NW VRX) & MMAL sell them as spare parts for about $180 each (+ nuts & caps) - keep an eye on eBay & Gumtree for second hand genuine steelies (although getting rarer these days).

There are many threads on here about aftermarket wheels for the Gen 4 if you want to research further.

Last edited by spot01; 19-09-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 19-09-17

Thanks for the quick reply? Do you think 17" is a better way to go for off-road then?

What size tyre do you use with the 17" rim? I'm considering a 2" suspension lift, will this effect the tyre size?

Sorry for all the questions, a few $$ to spend so trying to get it right.
Old 19-09-17

Hi Archie

I have a set of 6 genuine MM steel rims 17" that have been sandblasted and powder coated with brand new BFG KO2. Might be interested in selling if your keen. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Steve
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

IMO the 17" is much better for off road, with a LT tyre. There are far more LT tyres available in 17 than 18 and the cost savings will pay for your rims after 1 or 2 sets of tyres. There is plenty of info in threads on here re tyre sizes & lifts, with many opinions & much valuable experience to draw on - it will depend on where you are going off road. I use the standard size tyre (265/65/17) as shown on the vehicle's tyre placard, but I don't have a lift & my use is mainly outback tracks & exploring (not hard core).

Take your time & do your research on here to make the right decision for you & your intended usage.
Old 19-09-17

Thanks Spot01.

Nothing too hardcore for me either. Was wandering if the lift may help preventing dragging the rear bumper bar (bucket) when you step off ledges and sand dunes etc.

I think the rocks on the tracks around Alice may have dinged my alloy rim.

Regards.
Old 19-09-17

I have bought the Mitsubishi steel rims for my car as there are NO aftermarket steel rims that suit. Also Boos Bash plates now do the rear bumper guard
Old 19-09-17

Thanks Womble
Old 19-09-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie167 View Post
Thanks Spot01.

Nothing too hardcore for me either. Was wandering if the lift may help preventing dragging the rear bumper bar (bucket) when you step off ledges and sand dunes etc.

Regards.
Yes a lift will help, but it depends on how big the ledge is 2 inch lift with standard tyre size on 17 or 18 inch rims is legal. Most find a lift with decent components improves the ride and handling, as the standard springs are pretty soft.
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

I've also got the MM 17" rims and use 265/65/17 LT (Toyo) AT tyres. I use my standard 265/60/18 factory alloys and tyres when driving around town and put on the steels for off road. Both are basically the same outside diameter so there's no impact on speed readings etc. I'd also recommend you get the lift done, I don't go on crazy tracks but we do go up to double black and having that extra clearance is a real bonus. Also get the bash plates, they've saved me once already.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Ridepro springs & Rox Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Titan drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.