Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 07-05-17

Default DC to DC Charger vs Battery Isolator

I have a 2013 NW Pajero and I am in the process of wiring up an auxillary battery for my Waeco 40L fridge in the rear of the wagon.
I read somewhere that most 4WD's built after 2010 have cut back on the output from their alternators and that a DC to DC charger was needed to bring the second battery up to full charge. Is this the case?
I was about to hand over some coin for a Projecta 25A DC to DC charger but if the alternator pumps out enough for both batteries to fully charge, then I can purchase a Projector 150 dual battery isolator for less than half the cost of the DC to DC charger. Will the isolator do the job?
Thoughts?
Old 07-05-17
Administrator

As the owner of a Redarc 20A DC-DC system, I suggest starting with the isolator and see if it meets your needs.

While you're outlaying money to install the dual battery system, save a little with the isolator and put the cash towards ensuring decent sized wiring and quality connections. If, somewhere down the line, you're not happy with the Isolator, flog it off to somebody here (it will sell) and then buy a DC-DC device.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 07-05-17

Your alternator is most probably a smart one in which case you must use a dc to dc charger otherwise your aux battery will not charge properly.. There are other posts on here explaining all you need to know..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-17
Valued Member

I,ve always used the redarc sbi12 in previous vehicles. Worked a treat (better than the old aluminium pot solenoid). However with the purchase of the NW and the variable alternator fitted I bought the Redac bdc1220-ign . Two and a half years later and aux batteries are always fully charged and now it also supplies power to the batteries in my camper.Both my auxillary batteries are in the rear tub. Having done shiploads of work on 12 volt solar systems and vehicle systems I went down the dcdc route. Particularly if you intend to get a camper or caravan or even move your aux battery to the tub. It is possible that the vsr could do the job. I just wanted to do it right the first time.
Old 07-05-17
Valued Member

Personally I highly recommend a quality DC DC charger over a relay. That's after boiling many an AUX battery in the old NP with a Redarc relay setup. A decent DC DC charger will do a number of things that a relay cant; It will ensure that the charge rate into the battery is correct for it's current state of charge and will compensate for the battery chemistry, it will output a higher voltage than the alternator / crank battery ensuring a 100% charge of the AUX and it will prevent over-charging & damage to the battery by entering float charge at the appropriate point. I fitted the Projecta DC DC charger to our new NX as it can select the different battery chemistry and has a proper ignition sense line for switch-on / off. Have fitted some of the Redarc's to friends cars and it is good too, but bulkier and you need the right variant depending on application.

A relay will work OK, but in my experience will be harder on the battery.

Pat
01 Alfa Romeo 156 TS Selespeed (there is a pattern emerging here!)
www.youtube.com/psproule
Old 07-05-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Not to mention, if you run the IDC25, you then have access to a quality MPPT solar regulator as well. For the $150 extra in price of an IDC25 over a standard VSR, you could probably loose most of that with the size of the wire required if your battery is rear mounted. I have a bcdc1240 in the camper and the IDC25 in the car. Feature wise, the Projecta craps all over the redarc IMO....Pity they don't do a 40 amper for the camper.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 08-05-17

Default Solenoid V DC-DC

I own a June 2014 NW with a simple solenoid system originally installed on my NP in 2003 to run our 50L Waeco and then put into our NS, now in our NW
It was installed by my auto electrician and I've done 120 000km since in the NW, having replaced one small deep cycle second battery after 18 months The fridge sits in the vehicle for probably only 2-3 weeks pa
No doubt the DC to DC will maintain a superior charge and look after the battery better than the solenoid, but the solenoid (same as isolator?) has done the job for me.
Perhaps the "smart" alternator in the NW isn't as smart as some other vehicles ?
Mark
Old 08-05-17

I just went through this for our NX. As we won't be using the 3rd row of seats I went with AGM and DCDC charger in the seat tub. As battery is only used when we are away the rest the time the charger is able to maintain it. If you were running a fridge all the time maybe that's not an issue ?? Given the cost a decent AGM I thought it was best to maintain it. As Sharkcaver mentioned you also have solar regulator and with the redarc they compatible with lithium which may future proof your setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 NX GLS - Bilstein / Lovell 2" lift, Airbags, Bushskinz side steps and intercooler / sump guards, TJM Bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3550, Illuminator 9" LED spotties, 17" NS alloys BFG 265/70/17 AT, Rhino Pioneer platform, Frontier LR fuel tank
Old 08-05-17

A quick ring to Redarc and the technical guy will tell you of your car has a smart alternator. You will fingers all modern cars have them .. It's knowing when they were first installed ..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound Brown View Post
As Sharkcaver mentioned you also have solar regulator and with the redarc they compatible with lithium which may future proof your setup.
I know very little about Lithium. But I hear the Li profile of the redarc has been set for one specific brand of Li. Most other manufacturers specify a lower float voltage than what the redarc puts out. So if you buy a redarc for potential Li setup in the future, do some research first.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys