• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

SOLVED - rear sonar beeps while towing

Hi guys well I finally fixed this. I have rear sonar but no switch. So I gather that mine is dealer fitted not factory. However, where the switch would normally be the wiring is actually there for the switch.

I could perhaps have ordered a switch from Mitsubishi but not sure the dealer sonar would turn off with factory wiring. Also I want to fit a AOB compressor switch in that location.

After ringing my dealer they wanted to charge me to fix this issue and said its not a warranty claim even though I argued that it wasn't installed properly.

So I set to it myself.
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

Ok first thing was to pry of the upper drivers side cargo area trim quite easy.

Then to get the bottom of there's a couple of screws. One near the rear and one near the 2nd row seats.

The cargo tie down point needs unbolted on that side too. It took awhile to figure it out but the centre bit is a cap so just pry it up and unbolt.

I think I also removed the rear trim at the back door. Ie the carpet trim. It's a few press studs you pry out inside the 3rd seat well.

Lastly unscrew the carpet retainer thing once you remove the 3rd seat well cover.

Comment

• green troll
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2015
      • Adelaide

Ok now you can wriggle out the lower trim. Few press studs and a screw or two. Very easy to work out.

Next I took the cover of the tow plug just to check how it was hooked up. The reed switch is the two outer smaller grey wires. Turns out it's normally closed and one side is grounded to the body.

Comment

• green troll
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Adelaide

Ok photo time.

There's two boxes. One is the two controller and the other is RPA. (Rear parking assist I presume)

I then noticed the grey wire with a plug on it. It comes from the tow harness loom. Since I worked out the grey wires are a n/c grounded circuit I assumed it might switch the park assist on/off.

Then looking at the power for the RPA it gets its power feed from a fused reverse cct I believe. The ground goes through another plug then earthed at the body.

Here's the easy part.
        Unplug the RPA earth single connector and plug it into the grey wire.

Bingo bango job done. Too easy.

First pic of the overall setup.

Comment

• green troll
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2015
          • Adelaide

SOLVED - rear sonar beeps while towing

The grey reed switch ground

Next the plug with the original black earth to body connection and then connecting the RPA earth to the reed switch ground.

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

And I think I will mount those control boxes instead of them just flopping around.

Comment

• green troll
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Adelaide

Hope this helps others

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

Nice one. I'm sure this will help others out one day
                Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• likatiger
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • WAMBERAL NSW

Nice work, but to me, very scary - all those wires, switches & boxes, just leaves me cold and stressed.
                  NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Steve879
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Canberra

Yep, i did the same on mine. Easy job!

Steve
                    2012 Pajero Activ.. ARB Bar, LED Driving ights, TJM Coils and Shocks, TJM Snorkel. Dominator winch. BFG KM2 265/70/17 Stedi Led fog lights and DRL's. Icom UHF.

Comment

• jasper361
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Eatons Hill

Some great info there. I have the factory disable switch but the reed switch is not wired in. I'm hoping to have both working, I don't know why they don't wire up the reed switch from factory.
                      2019 Y62 Ti Patrol
                      MY15 NX Exceed - Ironbark. - SOLD
                      Bash plates, Bilstein/kings, GME XRS330c

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                        • Jan 2016
                        • Adelaide

The reed switch (in the trailer socket) is meant to be connected to the RPA kit when it has a Genuine Accessory (Australia developed) kit; the Japanese developed 'Original Equipment' RPA system does not interface with the reed switch; Japanese rarely tow.
                        2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

• Odie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Tassie

Originally posted by OldEmmGee View Post
                          The reed switch (in the trailer socket) is meant to be connected to the RPA kit when it has a Genuine Accessory (Australia developed) kit; the Japanese developed 'Original Equipment' RPA system does not interface with the reed switch; Japanese rarely tow.
                          My tow bar was dealer fitted prior to delivery. Does the Japanese OE system hook up differently meaning this fix won't work for those with the Jap OE? I've had the right rear & floor panels out of the boot in the past and don't remember seeing either of those two modules in there (not that I was looking for them).
                          2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
                          Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• green troll
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2015
                            • Adelaide

I would have thought it would work for both. All you doing is using the reed switch as the ground. So if it doesn't have the plugs then just cut n shut. Not really a interface in the true sense of the word. Your only messing with grounds so can't hurt to try. The RPA was Velcroed in behind the pane. Tucked away. Where as the tow ecu was just hanging around. So yours might both be neatly tucked away.

Comment

• kiwi horan
                              • Sep 2014
                              • Melbourne

PDF of Green Trolls work

a downloadable PDF for anyone interested in viewing offline

I've just compiled Green Trolls post
                              Attached Files
                              Pajero NS 2008 Exceed MY07

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X