• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffwatkins
    • Apr 2015
    • Jamisontown NSW

VW buy back....

"Volkswagen and officials in the United States are reported to have reached a framework deal under which the carmaker will offer to buy back almost 500,000 diesel vehicles that used sophisticated software to cheat emissions tests."

Volkswagen reportedly reaches a deal with US officials to buy back almost half a million vehicles that used sophisticated software to cheat emissions testing.
  • Gen3
    • Nov 2011
    • penrith , NSW

I wonder if it will actually happen ? VWs dont last long anyway and most of those cars would already be on the scrap heap

Comment

• razorback
      • Nov 2008
      • Cairns QLD

Originally posted by Gen3 View Post
      I wonder if it will actually happen ? VWs dont last long anyway and most of those cars would already be on the scrap heap
      I can't comprehend how you come to the conclusion that VW's don't last long and therefore go to the scrap yard very early.
      This would mean that every VW owner/buyer decided to buy cheap made rubbish. Also it doesn't ad up to the well known"made in Germany" knowledge.
      We own a VW Golf since 4 years and all i can say is: the quality is outstanding.
      Compared to the Mitsubishi Lancer we had before it is like chalk and cheese.
      Pajero NT VRX,3.2DID,Cool Silver, MMC Alu Bull Bar, No-Limt chip+Boost control unit,IPF HID, 65L AUX,Airtech Snorkel,Diff lock and traction control mod,Diff breathers,EFS HD Springs and Shocks,HD Airbag man Airbags,Dual Battery,rear camera on roof rack, Bushskins Inter-cooler+Sump+Trans-guards +Rockslider side steps, 120 Watt LED light bar on roof rack

Comment

• Poita
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • Adelaide

Depends, most I know start getting electical gremlins at about 150,000... And that gets expensive to fix! I'd still like to own a performance VW or Audi

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
        NW VRX MY2013
        Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Gen3
          • Nov 2011
          • penrith , NSW

I know from experience that VWs dont last long. do a google search for VW problems. getting a mechanic to look at one is like pulling teeth. look at the poor resale value , even our local VW dealer wont take them as trade ins.
          as for "made in Germany" thats a load of BS. many of thier export models have been made in China for years.

Comment

• gta1898
            • Jan 2014
            • Chester. UK

[QUOTE=Gen3;498167]I know from experience that VWs dont last long.[/c

Really?

My 2003 Golf Mk4 Tdi, owned since new, now has 288,000 km under it. Other than cam timing belts I've done all the routine servicing. It still does 4.5 l/100km, uses no oil.

Other than consumables, discs / pads / exhaust etc the only repairs have been a new windscreen wiper mechanical assembly, cost £50 / AUSD 100 ish. (I've disconnected the deadlocks as I had an intermittent fault on one door a few years ago.)

If my Pajero is anything like even half this good I'll be made up. Mine was made in W Germany.
            Graham

Shogun / Pajero MY14 SG2 / GLX, Manual, Eiger Grey, Limo Tints, SPV 3.1, 18" Factory alloys in satin black.

Comment

• Gen3
              • Nov 2011
              • penrith , NSW

you might get the german versions in the UK , but we are stuck with the Chinese built models , which are a heap of rubbish.
              they have been recalled numerous times , and resale values have fallen down the toilet.

surprising your VW has lasted so long , most of them dont last 200,000 before the timing mechanism fails and destroys the engine. and lets not forget the gearbox failures , electrical failures , lack of dealer sales support and really expensive parts.

Comment

• wasarangie
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2010
                • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by Gen3 View Post
                you might get the german versions in the UK , but we are stuck with the Chinese built models , which are a heap of rubbish.
                they have been recalled numerous times , and resale values have fallen down the toilet.

surprising your VW has lasted so long , most of them dont last 200,000 before the timing mechanism fails and destroys the engine. and lets not forget the gearbox failures , electrical failures , lack of dealer sales support and really expensive parts.
                I have owned several over the years. Never had an issue with any of them The DSG issues are a direct result of incorrect servicing. All have completed over 200,000klm for us.

Prices for parts are comparable with many Japanese brands and if you happen to go for non-genuine you can save more.
                You can buy direct from Germany and have them delivered within 3 days. This from dealers in Germany.

After sales support has been far better than what I experienced from Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi and Mazda.

Resale has been better than any vehicle I have owned.

Having owned and had personal experience I would buy another VW in a minute. So they cheated on the emissions, so what, How many have bypassed the emission controls on their vehicles? EGR blocks etc. anyone?

I have owned and currently own both diesel and petrol VWs. Talk to an owner not just internet hear say I reckon.
                SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• razorback
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Cairns QLD

Originally posted by razorback View Post
                  I can't comprehend how you come to the conclusion that VW's don't last long and therefore go to the scrap yard very early.
                  This would mean that every VW owner/buyer decided to buy cheap made rubbish. Also it doesn't ad up to the well known"made in Germany" knowledge.
                  We own a VW Golf since 4 years and all i can say is: the quality is outstanding.
                  Compared to the Mitsubishi Lancer we had before it is like chalk and cheese.
                  We had a lancer before and all I can say is, no comparison. The built quality and finish is far better than any Japanese vehicle I have ever sat in. The doors close with a solid thump (not a rattly bang). There is not a rattle or creak inside the car.
                  Any body saying that a VW's are crap or junk has no idea. This would mean that all those million VW owners are fools .
                  We definitely are sticking with VW's. Won't go back to Japanese cars.
                  And by the way, the models Golf sold in OZ are all made in Mexico, not China!
                  Pajero NT VRX,3.2DID,Cool Silver, MMC Alu Bull Bar, No-Limt chip+Boost control unit,IPF HID, 65L AUX,Airtech Snorkel,Diff lock and traction control mod,Diff breathers,EFS HD Springs and Shocks,HD Airbag man Airbags,Dual Battery,rear camera on roof rack, Bushskins Inter-cooler+Sump+Trans-guards +Rockslider side steps, 120 Watt LED light bar on roof rack

Comment

• Tuba
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Qld

Pretty sure various models of 'Aussie' Golf were made in several countries. Within year models, spec variants also could have different origins.'

And did you just quote yourself, then ditto it? LOL.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X