X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geochallenger
    • Aug 2013
    • Brisbane

I've got a hardshell RTP, and fuel consumption isn't an issue with it, I still got 9 lts/100 on my Chally. Set-up and Pack up under 5 minutes, pack up time isn't longer than pack up the side awning, ... and I've got my solar panel attached to it, no worries

but the biggest issues that I found are:

A bit too small to get changed inside,
    climb up and down at midnight for loo activities

After all, you will always compromise somewhere... horses for courses...
    they have advantages and disadvantages as any other stuff that you can take.... You should go for what ever you like and tick more boxes of your wish list. Nothing will be perfect but you can find a good balance that works for you.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by geochallenger View Post
      I've got a hardshell RTP, and fuel consumption isn't an issue with it, I still got 9 lts/100 on my Chally. Set-up and Pack up under 5 minutes, pack up time isn't longer than pack up the side awning, ... and I've got my solar panel attached to it, no worries

but the biggest issues that I found are:

A bit too small to get changed inside,
      climb up and down at midnight for loo activities

After all, you will always compromise somewhere... horses for courses...
      they have advantages and disadvantages as any other stuff that you can take.... You should go for what ever you like and tick more boxes of your wish list. Nothing will be perfect but you can find a good balance that works for you.

I notice your car is a manual - am I correct in assuming the hard shell has only cost you about 1L/100km?

Do you notice much extra wind noise or buffeting from passing trucks?
      Does it make the car feel "top heavy" around corners or when offroad?
      Is it on the standard roof rails? How are they holding up?

Which brand hard shell do you have & how is the quality & dust sealing?
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• geochallenger
        • Aug 2013
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
        I notice your car is a manual - am I correct in assuming the hard shell has only cost you about 1L/100km?

Do you notice much extra wind noise or buffeting from passing trucks?
        Does it make the car feel "top heavy" around corners or when offroad?
        Is it on the standard roof rails? How are they holding up?

Which brand hard shell do you have & how is the quality & dust sealing?

The reality is that the hard shell cost me around 0.2 lts per 100 ks but the side awning, cost me an extra 0.3 to 0.4... so all up I'm less than half a litre per hundred.

Noise wise, there's more noise coming out of the end of the roofrack than from the tent... you barely can feel it

there's a slight extra body roll but nothing to worry about, I'm pretty sure that we firmer springs it will be almost 0 (yes, I'm still running the original suspension).

The tent is still on the standard roof rails and so far so good, they sag a little bit at the front end but still is ok. I take the tent off the car when not in use though.

Regarding the brand, unfortunately I got it second hand (with the awning and the solar panel) and it didn't have a brand, it's a chinnesse RTT. Quality wise it's pretty good, the only issue so far has been one of the zippers that is broken. But doesn't leak even under heavy rain and the shell closes pretty tight, so no dust get in. There's enough roof when closed to leave inside the ladder, dunna, pillows, sleeping bags even a lamp/fan.

Cheers,

Comment

• Brownie
          • Nov 2008
          • Brisbane

I've done a 3 month trip around Australia in a roof top tent. The RTT is brilliant for anyone contemplating a touring holiday where you expect to move to a new location every day. The RTT offers high mobility (especially compared to towing anything), speed of setup (different brands have different setup and pack up times) and comfort - no tent mattress will match the comfort of a proper foam or inner spring mattress that can be used in some RTTs. For example, a trip down the Canning stock route would be perfect with a RTT.

However, as soon as you want to spend more than one night in a location, the requirement to pack up camp to do a day trip/get some supplies/go to a restaurant, is a problem. There is no one camping solution that works well in every scenario.
          Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
          Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

Hated our roof top tent. Well it was ok for a place to get a few hours sleep on the way to a camping spot but that it. You get dirty every time u set it up or pack it away. Once u have ur camp setup you will want to go for a drive somewhere and can't. We solved this partially by also taking bikes.
            Ended up selling it. I put usb chargers in it and remote controlled lights in and out.

As I said ok for a nights sleep but not for camping.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

if only 2 of you just get a quicksetup 3 man tant. About $150 and 30 seconds to erect. I have a 2 man one and I can set it with fly in less tha 3 minutes. 30 seconds without fly for when you camp up North 5 kilos Takes no room. Good quality self inflate mattress and a sheet and blanket.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Roach
                • Nov 2013
                • Cairns

As everyone else has said I also agree good and bad points. But my question to you is, can the missus pack up the roof top tent if you injure yourself? Lets say broken leg, leave the tent or trailer where it is. Rtt still has to be packed up before moving the car. My 2cents.
                Swb nh import 3.0 v6 5spd man, ralliart, lifted, locked and charged on 37" creepys!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X