• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Racechip Response Control

I had a chance recently to drive a V6 3.6lt petrol Jeep. It was very lacklustre and the Paj NW acceleration left it for dead despite the Jeeps 206kw!! I mentioned this to the owner and he agreed that it was a slug and he wanted to slot a V8 into it.

I had a call from him days later to say that he'd fitted a pedal booster and that it was a different vehicle now. He was suitable impressed.

So I've just added a RaceChip Response Control module to my NW. Well, what a difference! It changes the responsiveness of the accelerator pedal drastically and eliminates the turbo lag completely. It's a plug and play unit that took all of 5 minutes to install. It has six different settings and an on/off button. The six settings range from Eco for fuel economy to Sports Plus which improves the accelerator response incredibly. In fact, taking off amongst traffic at the lights on the highest setting I had to temper my acceleration as the take up was too fast for the normal traffic speed....suitably impressed.

The biggest response is in the first half of the pedal travel, after that it feels standard. The 3.2lt without turbo lag is sweet!

I can only imagine how different my vehicle would be with a chip installed as well, to compliment this product.

I'm heading away on a long trip soon and will report how it responds on the highway, and in the dunes/on the beaches, when I get back.

So far I'm very pleased with the result.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Want to give us a hint of what it was worth?
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Is there a reason you didn't end up going with the unit from Chip tuning that I mentioned on another post?

I am also over the throttle lag on initial take-off and think it will be sooner rather than later that I go this route also. I can stomp on the pedal as quick as I can flat to the floor but it still has that initial lag. Be interested how you go with this one after you've had it in for a while.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Onslow
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
        Want to give us a hint of what it was worth?
        Dave
        RRP is $299

I've heard of the cheap eBay units throwing engine codes so didn't want to go down the cheaper road and take the risk. RaceChip is a German company and seems to have a good reputation.
        NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Stoneman
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2012
          • Melbourne

We run a wind booster and love it perfect for the Pajero

Got them off aliexpress when the dollar was a little better

As long as they don't throw a code as mentioned I think there all pretty similar

Either way great addition regardless

NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Onslow
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
            Is there a reason you didn't end up going with the unit from Chip tuning that I mentioned on another post?

I am also over the throttle lag on initial take-off and think it will be sooner rather than later that I go this route also. I can stomp on the pedal as quick as I can flat to the floor but it still has that initial lag. Be interested how you go with this one after you've had it in for a while.
            To be honest; I'm unsure of the quality and professionalism of Chip Tuning having known about them for a number of years so far....just not comfortable with the brand. And on top of that a mate sells the RaceChip brand so thought I'd give that a try........I'm so tempted to try their Chip now too!

You can always have a drive if you want to Steve?

I've already turned it down from the highest setting to the third highest to take a bit of the edge off the acceleration......the top setting should be brilliant when I'm fully loaded.

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
              To be honest; I'm unsure of the quality and professionalism of Chip Tuning having known about them for a number of years so far....just not comfortable with the brand. And on top of that a mate sells the RaceChip brand so thought I'd give that a try........I'm so tempted to try their Chip now too!

You can always have a drive if you want to Steve?

I've already turned it down from the highest setting to the third highest to take a bit of the edge off the acceleration......the top setting should be brilliant when I'm fully loaded.

I can't say I am overly confident in their professionalism either going on past discussions on various forums. The unit you have looks the goods, I might have to take you up on that drive, it would be good to see the difference with it off and on. Maybe a meet up early next year sometime?
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2000
                • Tasmania

so this is for vehicles with electronic throttles , both petrol & diesel?
                NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Onslow
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2007

I can't say I am overly confident in their professionalism either going on past discussions on various forums. The unit you have looks the goods, I might have to take you up on that drive, it would be good to see the difference with it off and on. Maybe a meet up early next year sometime?
                  Sounds good; or I can drop in around lunch time one day in the next couple of weeks and you can take it for a spin.....you'll only need 5 mins to put a smile on your face :-)

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                    Sounds good; or I can drop in around lunch time one day in the next couple of weeks and you can take it for a spin.....you'll only need 5 mins to put a smile on your face :-)

No worries, if you are in the Canning Vale area in the next couple of weeks, give me a call. I'll PM you my mobile number.
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

• Onslow
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                      so this is for vehicles with electronic throttles , both petrol & diesel?
                      Not sure Ian, just check their website out sometime.

Comment

• Onslow
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007

No worries, if you are in the Canning Vale area in the next couple of weeks, give me a call. I'll PM you my mobile number.
                        Cheers,
                        Steve
                        Will do Steve, send me your work address too.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • doncaster east vic

I see turtleman bought throttle booster for his challenger and loved it but copped a caning on here

and this is a very good read about them
                          Why You Shouldn’t Support Mandatory Vaccinations  last updated 17/09/2020 2018 Update: Thanks to Kelli from sprintboostersales.com for sending me a free sprint booster to test. It’s tak…

After reading the article i think ill be a fence sitter on this one, although some of his negative comments about loss of offroad control can be argued by just simply turning the booster right down making it basically factory std.

Ian Sharpe petrol one can be bought here http://www.plugngo.com.au/
                          Back from the Dark side
                          NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2000
                            • Tasmania

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
                            I see turtleman bought throttle booster for his challenger and loved it but copped a caning on here

and this is a very good read about them
                            Why You Shouldn’t Support Mandatory Vaccinations  last updated 17/09/2020 2018 Update: Thanks to Kelli from sprintboostersales.com for sending me a free sprint booster to test. It’s tak…

After reading the article i think ill be a fence sitter on this one, although some of his negative comments about loss of offroad control can be argued by just simply turning the booster right down making it basically factory std.

Ian Sharpe petrol one can be bought here http://www.plugngo.com.au/
                            Ok thanks mate
                            NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                            NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Onslow
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2007

It's interesting reading those articles above. All from people who have not used one or driven a vehicle with one - all theoretical, or personal evaluation with no practical knowledge, and over analysing. They are a very effective accessory for reducing the effects of turbo lag, something which all our 2.8lt and 3.2lt motors suffer from. Don't read anymore than that into it. You won't get increased power or anything else, just a different, more responsive pedal control........funny that...this ones even called a "Response Control"!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X