• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caroma
    • May 2012
    • WA - Pilbara

Off-road trailers in Perth WTB?

Looking for suggestions on best place to buy an off-road trailer in Perth. And if anyone can estimate what one might cost.

Was thinking 7x4 single axle. Galvanised. Couple of gas cylinder holders.

Want it to double up for camping duties as well as taking a load to the tip.

Any help appreciated.
    2008 NS Petrol Auto.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Loadstar will be cheaper than papas.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Paj People 2009
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Caroma,

I know your in Perth. Ours was about $3800 from memory. If you want yours to be gal trailer would be a bit more.

Don't forget the jerry can holders!

Cheers,
      Sally

SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• caroma
        • May 2012
        • WA - Pilbara

That looks perfect , Sally.

I will put Loadstar on the list to check out, cheers Sharkcaver.
        2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by caroma View Post
          I will put Loadstar on the list to check out, cheers Sharkcaver.
          You can do Papas at the same time for an honesty check. They are around the corner.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• caroma
            • May 2012
            • WA - Pilbara

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            You can do Papas at the same time for an honesty check. They are around the corner.
            Yeah already had Papas as an option. Cheers.
            2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
              • Jun 2015
              • Gascoyne Junction

watching with great interest as this is something I have been wanting to buy for a while. Still am yet to find a good camper trailer with a simple electric system and good manufacturing. best I have found is;

Adventure awaits. Discover Australia's Best Value caravans, hybrid caravans and camper trailers. Ezytrail’s extensive range has something for everyone.

Still haven't checked them out much more though so not sure.
              Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries

Comment

• supazuk
                • Jun 2014
                • Katherine

I ended up building my own as I couldn't find a commercially built off road box trailer that was actually heavy duty.
                Sticking 31" tyres on ford bearings doesn't make a trailer a heavy duty off road trailer.
                My 6x4 has a 50mm axle, parallel bearings, 12" electric drums and 750/15 tyres and will follow a car anywhere and survive.
                Sticking large tyres on bearings originally designed for a tiny 14" tyre de rates them massively and is the main reason for bearing failure.

2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• supazuk
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Katherine

Also Australian made trailer components are not much more expensive then Chinese gear and the quality is significantly better.

Having said that I have just bought a Mars camper and fully expect to have to cut the suspension off and fit better Aussie built
                  running gear but the quality of the trailer and canvas makes the risk well worth it. 13k for a hard floor camper with all the bells
                  and shiny stuff is amazingly cheap.
                  2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Supazuk,

I gather you are referring to our "large tyres" on our trailer.

I agree about using all Aussie components and that is just what we did.

We also have the heavy duty suspension... 8 pack AL-KO (not Chinese) springs, heavy duty 50mm axle (not the slimline Ford or Holden) and large 1.6 tonne parallel bearing hubs, etc. We didn't specify larger tyres (the R15s), but that is what the builder uses on his heavy duty trailers. Yes he could have put 235s on it, but there is nothing outrageous about 31.5s.

It barely moves when you put weight in it - it could handle any track in Australia, no worries!

My builder is 25+ years Aussie made, Aussie components, (hence the dearer price), and this trailer is the base for his camper trailers. Can't do better than that!

Best part is he warrants his trailers for many years for full offroad use.

You get what you pay for!

By the way, we carry spare bearings on trips and have them repacked once a year.

Cheers,
                    Sally
                    Last edited by Paj People 2009; 02-12-15, 10:08 AM.

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

Comment

• supazuk
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Katherine

Was just a general comment. I see lots of so call heavy duty off road trailers with big tyres on ford bearings. A mate has payed off a few houses by fixing these trailers in the NT

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

No worries.

I'm sure you do see a lot with failed bearings up there!

I think you have to work out where you are going to travel and then go through each component separately - that is what I did with Geoff at our trailer build.

Would have liked to have gone gal and independent suspension, but that was the Rolls-Royce level with cost!

Yes, it costs extra for quality stuff, but as you say, who wants to break down in the middle of nowhere, spoiling your trip.

Using AL-KO components instead of the Chinese stuff is a good start.

Mass producers like Trailers 2000, etc, will build you a "so called offroad trailer" and I think you are spot on with the description there re larger tyres, etc!

You see the same troubles with boat trailers and caravans all the time.

We recently changed our brake callipers on our boat trailer to stainless...why Dunbier don't have that from new is silly....cost of course! But the non s/s ones will definitely stick on and lock.

Suppose at least the Ford bearings are a little bigger than the Holden. My understanding was that Holden bearings were 40mm and rated to only 750kg, whereas the Ford ones are rated to 1500kg on a 45mm axle, round or square.

But more than agree the same sized parallel bearings are better for offroad use.

Anyway, whatever the OP gets, hopefully it will take him on many great trouble-free adventures and last!

Cheers,
                        Sally

Comment

• caroma
                          • May 2012
                          • WA - Pilbara

Just thought I'd finish off this thread with my purchase. Went with Load Star in Perth, nothing too crazy just what the budget allowed. It's not intended to go into extreme conditions mostly the odd dirt and gravel road. Gonna add an awning to the side and she's all done.
                          Gotta say the service LS provided was great and the quality so far also great. Barely noticed it on the back of the Paj on the 1500km trip home.
                          2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X