X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RG76
    • Feb 2013
    • Sydney

Just checked the Toyota.com.au site and the Fortuner was finally listed. To my surprise the GX model comes with black steel wheels and looks...well unfinished

Surely a look through the parts bin could've located some plastic hubcaps for an additional $20??? Also with the price starting at $55,390 drive away I think I'll wait for the honeymoon period to finish.
    2015 MQ Triton GLS Manual, TJM XGS Suspension, TJM rear step/towbar, TJM Snorkel, Projecta Dual Battery, Bridgestone MT 674's...Eaton rear E-locker

Comment

• Ent
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2014
      • Tasmania

Toyota tax added But given the Hilux not unexpected. It is fascinating sitting down at work in a meeting and just listening to what people think of the HiLux. I would love to say overpriced and under-performing but I would be so far from the truth that I would be lying. Everyone thinks it is perfection on four wheels and light years ahead of its competitor in every respect But such is the power of the "unbreakable" marketing. I am sure you could swap badges on range of utes and nearly everyone will say that about the ute wearing the Toyota badge regardless what it was underneath.

Ford and Mazda have been chipping away and had MMAL handled the 2.5HP issues better and held by their warranty and maintained a good record of supporting customers with warranty claims so their march could have continued. Isuzu likewise have a reputation (not sure on the facts) of producing very long lived reliable motors. But Toyota marketing has won the battle to-date.

Toyota have a rather crowded range of 4x4 wagons so pricing a factor of protecting the Prado. Be interesting what the buyers make of the pricing. For soft roaders the Rava is in a competive market. The Kluger is just a bigger version.

This gives market headroom to sneak in a Challenger range. Actually at Toyota pricing a keenly price Pajero for me is a better option. But I have not been brainwashed to Toyota reliability.
      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• red hilux
        • Oct 2015
        • Perth

I think that once the fortuna starts to sell, a lot of people may sell there prados, more prados for sale and the over priced prado will become reasonably priced second hand.
        future pb challenger owner, hoping around March

Comment

• conquistador
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • sth east queensland

Originally posted by red hilux View Post
          I think that once the fortuna starts to sell, a lot of people may sell there prados, more prados for sale and the over priced prado will become reasonably priced second hand.
          I hear supply of the fatuna is limited to australia to about 6000. This will be done I imagine to protect the sacred fat cow that is prado. The sales team I would anticipate will be well trained to id who a fatuna should be sold to and what cues the customer will give off to guide into a prado or a fredy kruger. All very subtle of course .Mmm goes a little something like #months wait for that colour but hey these are immediately available

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
            I hear supply of the fatuna is limited to australia to about 6000. This will be done I imagine to protect the sacred fat cow that is prado. The sales team I would anticipate will be well trained to id who a fatuna should be sold to and what cues the customer will give off to guide into a prado or a fredy kruger.
            I just returned from Toyota, yes you are correct with the units ...
            (but like they won't produce more if they sell )

To tell you the truth I went for a 30 min road test today... not that impressed. Only thing the Fortuner didn't have turbo lag as such ... the power was a bit of let down, steering very touchy (as is electric powered not belt driven). drove the auto GX ... ride was very bumpy (hard on the kidneys) - said to the salesman you should have let the tyres down a bit ;-) ... was limited on time but first offer on the Challenger was 20k (not bad) ... will not down grade our car as our torque/power at the wheels is more with the Roosystems Ecu Remap ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Cory
              • Jun 2008

Fortuner Ground Clearance

The Fortuner/Hilux has been quoted as having 279mm of ground clearance and this seems somewhat misleading to me. I would assume that it would be measured at the bottom of the diff, and a 50-60mm increase in clearance compared to everything else around is not possible - that would effectively mean that the diff housing is 100-120mm smaller in diameter that the rest of the pack and that is not possible. There should be some kind of standard measurement so a real comparison can be made. A Thai website is quoting 225mm clearance which would seem more like it.
              Last edited by Cory; 03-11-15, 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling Dunce

Comment

• conquistador
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • sth east queensland

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                The Fortuner/Hilux has been quoted as having 279mm of ground clearance and this seems somewhat misleading to me. I would assume that it would be measured at the bottom of the diff, and a 50-60mm increase in clearance compared to everything else around is not possible - that would effectively mean that the diff housing is 100-120mm smaller in diameter that the rest of the pack and that is not possible. There should be some kind of standard measurement so a real comparison can be made. A Thai website is quoting 225mm clearance which would seem more like it.
                I think they are quoting the chassis rail height. I'd be interested how they get 279mm under the rear diff without 33's or portal diff.

Talk is the 2.8 is a sucks juice like a 40ft Riviera.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
                  I think they are quoting the chassis rail height. I'd be interested how they get 279mm under the rear diff without 33's or portal diff.

Talk is the 2.8 is a sucks juice like a 40ft Riviera.
                  I think the 279 must be a typo - or somebody's bad handwriting? I can imagine a poorly written 225 could look like 279, and somebody non-technical would have no idea what's right or wrong.

Unsealed 4x4 have a short story on the 2.8 in a Prado - they averaged 11l/100km with it. I wouldn't say that's thirsty, but it's certainly nothing special.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• pajeromack
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • NSW

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                    The Fortuner/Hilux has been quoted as having 279mm of ground clearance and this seems somewhat misleading to me. I would assume that it would be measured at the bottom of the diff, and a 50-60mm increase in clearance compared to everything else around is not possible
                    I agree. They won't be quoting to the bottom of the diff which is pretty darn misleading. Given the proliferation of solid rear axles and standard tyre sizes most 4WDs must have roughly 220mm factory clearance to the diff.

These guys say 225mm for the Fortuner- http://www.4x4australia.com.au/news/...uner-revealed/

Toyota must have told a lot of journos the ground clearance is 279mm as that number is plastered all over the 'net. The journos have swallowed it hook line and sinker and even compared it to the Everest which 'only' has 225mm. http://www.caradvice.com.au/392313/2...-trend-review/
                    No doubt if pressed Toyota will tell us that this was an unfortunate 'misunderstanding'.

Comment

• Ent
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • Tasmania

Misleading information is becoming rather common. I was hoping to find one in the dealer so packed my tape measure

As more and more reviews come out things show up like only part time 4wd system. On modern vehicle this is a retro grade step. Still like the torque curve specification but puzzled why is the torque limited manual is allow to tow more than the auto?

I do grow rather tired of the unbreakable marketing but I suppose with a brain washed population stick with it. Just hope the vehicles live up to the marketing.
                      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• caroma
                        • May 2012
                        • WA - Pilbara

Local Toyota have one of these sitting out front plastered with advertising stickers. Horrible looking car.
                        2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                          Misleading information is becoming rather common. Just hope the vehicles live up to the marketing.
                          ....that'll be the day.
                          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• PBding
                            • May 2010
                            • Canberra

Originally posted by caroma View Post
                            Local Toyota have one of these sitting out front plastered with advertising stickers. Horrible looking car.
                            There's one here in Canberra as well, maybe it's the std paint job and you get a discount if if buy it like that--
                            NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• caroma
                              • May 2012
                              • WA - Pilbara

Originally posted by PBding View Post
                              There's one here in Canberra as well, maybe it's the std paint job and you get a discount if you buy it like that--
                              I'd be asking for cash in my pocket weekly as well!
                              2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2010
                                • Toowoomba

I just had a look at the poverty pack model in white and black steel wheels.

I actually liked it. If it came with the rubber floor like in the FJ, it would suit my needs.
                                MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X