Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul (SA) View Post
Just want to know if anyone has installed their catch can using a bracket that is attached to the rear firewall, rather than the drivers side fender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Yes.
Quote:
Would there be any issues attaching it there? I reckon there is enough space it is just a question of whether it is wise to attach a bracket there.
It doesn't count because it's not a Provent?

Or are we saying that HPD doesn't work because of where it's installed?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewXT View Post
Provents are around 98% efficient, HPD around 42% in lab tests. A lot more filtration surface area in the Provent over the steel wool in the HPD as well...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I would agree with that if in fact all the HPD has in it is stainless steel wool. I've seen tests several years ago on another multibrand forum in a long thread about catch cans. There was a guy on the forum who was an oil filtration R & D engineer and we got to talking about making various designs of catch cans from simple wool filled, foam filled, various compartment styles including helix/spiral channels etc with and without a filter medium and he had tests that showed how none of these worked very well at all at scrubbing the oil from the air. His suggestion was stick with a Provent or if you must make one incorporate the Provent filter. Whatever medium the Provent uses it is the most efficient at scrubbing oil. As a Sheetie I was always keen to look at making my own design and maybe flogging a few from time to time but after seeing the test data and explanation I just use Provents. They are well priced and definitely work. Only down side is the bulk and the annoyingly large fittings but then again the 200 is designed for much larger engines and there are some nice fittings now available to reduce down to pretty much all common hose sizes theses days. Far better than the reducer concoctions that Western Filters sell anyway.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

We pulled an HPD out of a car the other day and replaced with a Provent.

The HPD had a two small pieces of a woven mesh in the inlet and outlet castings, and the can we pretty much full of an emulsion of oil and condensed water vapour. Maybe 1.5mm of oil slick to 30mm of water.

I've had a Provent in my current vehicle for about 3,000km and the elements are just starting to get wet, and the drain has no water in it. Got a customer with 7,000km on a Provent that hasn't yet filled the drain tube and cannister to warrant emptying it as yet. Hose is about 90cm long...

Same car, we replaced the intercooler for the customer, and it drained about 2 cups of oil sludge out. Vehicle had done about 65,000 from memory... Provent was fit at the same time, so with any luck his new intercooler will stay oil free

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
Following with interest on the alternative mounting of the provent
Hi Vlad - I went and saw Cross Country 4x4 and they have offered to build a bracket and install on the firewall next week.

How about you contact them and ask if they can make a duplicate of the bracket they make for mine?

I will gladly put some pics up when I get the job done.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Hi Vlad - I went and saw Cross Country 4x4 and they have offered to build a bracket and install on the firewall next week.

How about you contact them and ask if they can make a duplicate of the bracket they make for mine?

I will gladly put some pics up when I get the job done.
Cheers Paul,

Just ordered my catch can from WF eBay shop.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
Cheers Paul,

Just ordered my catch can from WF eBay shop.
I did the same today. Should arrive early next week.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
I did the same today. Should arrive early next week.
Just rang Cross Country 4x4 and mentioned about your firewall bracket. The person I spoke to has no idea about it. He then went on about not using ProVent and instead they have their own and the brackets suit their own catch cans.

Are they in the process of making yours already?

Cheers,
Vlad
Old 4 Days Ago

Built my own from some 30 and 50mm flatbar from bunnings.

All up took a couple of hours to get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File 12-12-17, 10 48 50 am (640x480).jpg (48.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewXT View Post
I've seen a copy the reps carry, but they don't hand them out.
Why would anyone not allow anyone to keep a copy of the information on which they base their views? Surely it could only help inform others and bring them to the same understanding, and the world would be a better place.
Old 4 Days Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by insect_eater View Post
Why would anyone not allow anyone to keep a copy of the information on which they base their views? Surely it could only help inform others and bring them to the same understanding, and the world would be a better place.
I've been wondering this myself. If the lab test shows such superior performance, why aren't the reps using the results in their advertising?

Unless the testing also found a downside that they don't want made public?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....