Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Red to +ve, or is red to -ve...?

Jumper-cables, it helps to connect them the right way round;
    http://cars.failblog.org/2011/10/28/...ly-wrong-fail/

Steve
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

holy electricals Batman! I though the jumper cables would have melted before a complete burnout of 2 cars. Very costly mistake.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• mr moose
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • vic, mornington peninsula

wow, But I have seen jumper leads melt and I would have thought the red hot smoldering leads would have indicated something was wrong. Maybe sparks from the connection ignited the battery vapours.
      96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
      Look at me

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Originally posted by mr moose View Post
        wow, But I have seen jumper leads melt and I would have thought the red hot smoldering leads would have indicated something was wrong. Maybe sparks from the connection ignited the battery vapours.
        I wouldn't be suggesting that. With a flat battery there would be minimal vapours and very unlikely that an explosion would happen.
        What I would suggest that happened is the leads were put on the wrong way and because the battery was flat it would not have arced out so therefore not alerting the owner that the leads were crossed.
        Start the donor vehicle up and the amps would be running right through the wiring on the recieving vehicle melting all the insulation and starting the fire.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by mr moose View Post
          My quess is that the crossed jumper-leads may have set fire to the plastic grille & bumpers on the X-trail & Golf(Polo?), but as the fire was far more intense on the Nissan, there's a strong possibility that its battery has overheated producing copious amounts of gas which has been ignited by burning insulation & plastic trim, & as the engine was most likely running at the time, I'd say the fire took hold very quickly!

Steve

*For those unfamiliar with jump-starting technique the procedure is;

a) If either vehicle has an ECU (all EFI engines & late-model diesels) only use jumper-leads with suppression-units on them, as voltage-spikes can fry an ECU.

b) Ensure both vehicles are in neutral, as there's nothing funny about explaining that to insurance co., (on 2nd thought, it is quite silly!).

c) Connect red-lead clips 1st to +ve batt.terminal on flat battery, then to +ve on running vehicle.

d) Connect black-lead clips 1st to -ve terminal onl on flat battery, then to an unpainted bolt or bracket on running motor away from area of battery.

e) Maintain hold on jumper-lead clip to ensure it's not heating-up excessively due to a possible shorted plate in flat battery, but a little heat from the heavy current is normal.

f) Increase revs to 1500-2000rpm, only then ask other driver to start their vehicle, & to avoid flooding (excessive fuel in cylinders), without touching the accelerator.

g) Once vehicle is started, remove jumper-leads in reverse order.
          Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
          "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• NTX
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2010
            • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
            Jumper-cables, it helps to connect them the right way round;
            http://cars.failblog.org/2011/10/28/...ly-wrong-fail/

Steve
            Can't seem to load the page, but was able to find this which was lucky im sure you will agree. Do you think we can generate sufficient G forces in a Pajero to give this result? Might have to find an Evo....
            Last edited by NTX; 16-11-11, 01:36 PM.
            2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Ninkasi
              • Oct 2009
              • Brissy

From the comments above, I think it is this...

Crossing The Wires FAIL - The internet has generated a huge amount of laughs from cats and FAILS. And we all out of cats.
              06 NP Exceed Petrol - Stock so far, AVN6000 w/GPS\Video Mod
              Mods Planned - bull bar, winch, lift, tires, dual battery, roof rack, tent/awning, LR tank, rear wheel carrier, ...

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Ninkasi View Post
                From the comments above, I think it is this...

http://failblog.org/2011/10/28/epic-...he-wires-fail/
                That's the one, but there were more pics which I'll post into the thread as I saved them to my pc.
                Some of the people commenting just don't have a clue do they!

Steve
                Steve

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X