Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Brazil :) Pajero Full 2.8 GLSB 2000 Diesel - Auto or Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filipesantos
    • May 2014
    • Brazil

Brazil :) Pajero Full 2.8 GLSB 2000 Diesel - Auto or Manual?

Guys,

I´m planning to buy a 2nd generation pajero full glsb diesel motor 4m40 and here in brazil.... but 99% of this model are transmission manual... accidentally i found one automatic.
    I didnt drive yet but I´d like to know your opinion about the main difference between then (consume, power, durability) I know the manual I drove a few time and i liked it
    My target is to buy this car to take long trips and on the weekends put in the sand, no i dont have plans to force a lot the engine, its just to go to some desert beaches and be able to put the car on the sand and enjoy the beach there... thats is... I don´t want to climb dunes or something like that...

thanks a lot for you opinions!
  • scorpion 42
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • London. uk

im afaid its a personal thing,the choice between mamual / auto, a clutch replacement isnt a cheap affair by any means and these auto's are really strong, thats to say, if the car has been looked after, your best bet, to find out if the automatic ones have been looked after, is to run the car, up to temp, then dip the dipstick in and out a couple of times, to see what coulor the auto fluid is, it MUST be cherry red, if it isn't
    then walk away and dont look back, at any of them you look at, OK
    best of luck, hope you find what you need.

Comment

• filipesantos
      • May 2014
      • Brazil

mate! thanks for the awnser! i'm not a mechanic... far from that i'm dumb lol... this is why i got a trusted mechanic to take a look in the car too

Comment

• filipesantos
        • May 2014
        • Brazil

but related to automatic vs manual whats your opinion?

Comment

• pajflareo
          • Feb 2013
          • Syd

I have the 3.2 4m41 coupled with an auto, and personally i wish i had got a manual. The auto uses slightly more fuel and is more prone to issues. Additionally the box is expensive to repair with rebuilds in aus occasionally around the $5000 mark.

Also the lack of engine braking when off road is a negative. Mine personally has annoying habits of holding gears too long occasionally, but this may just be mine. I also enjoy driving manuals more.

However the positives are its really easy to use the paj as an urban car with the auto. Also off road hill climbs and crawls are easier without the prospect of stalling, plus anyone can drive it if they have too.

Comment

• filipesantos
            • May 2014
            • Brazil

there's no way to have the best of both worlds lol

maybe in my case the auto will fit well... i'll take a look on that on friday...

but guys thanks for your opinion

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

If most of the diesel Pajeros in Brazil are manual then any autos could be after-market imports, which may have implications for parts & service (e.g. are filters available?)

Here in Australia, the Gen 2 auto is a 4 speed, Gen 3 & 4 use a 5 speed (and NT onwards is a different 5 speed). All Gen 2 diesel autos here are after-market "grey imports".

Manual vs Auto is very much a personal preference. I wanted an auto when I bought my NT, and I have no regrets. Yes, it uses more fuel, and engine braking down hills is woeful, but (for me) the benefits make it worthwhile - good control in manual mode, lightning fast changes if you need one, the ability to crawl to a stop on rough climbs (without slipping a clutch) to ease over obstacles.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever you buy.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• filipesantos
                • May 2014
                • Brazil

thanks for the awnser mates! i almost made my decision on the auto one... i'll take a look on it on friday and take a meachanic together...

i'll keep you posted

Comment

• filipesantos
                  • May 2014
                  • Brazil

Just saw the car the car was beutifull, perfect.. oil was fine but when i toke to my mechanic he saw under the car and told me that the car got a huge bump in the side but it was fixed aslo the motor was not good... too bad i'll continue my searching...

Comment

• filipesantos
                    • May 2014
                    • Brazil

Just bought! It it 2.8 diesel manual... the one that i prefer... New tires, motor made on december and color is dark grey... there are some things to do... so i'll park it this week to fix that... after i'll post pics thanks for the help guys

Comment

• Hamish3300
                      • May 2013
                      • Hamilton, Victoria

well done on taking the time to find one which will suit. Love to see the pictures when you can upload them.
                      98 NL GLS - ARB compressor, LED conversion on all interior lights, GME UHF, Pioneer SD Stereo, Alloy bull bar, 13,500lb winch, Dual Batt, switch and outlet panel in place of useless centre pod, rear drawers

Under construction - GQ coils

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X