• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony G
    • Aug 2011
    • Geelong

Replacement Motor

Well it has been two weeks since I had the second overheating problem.
    MM has approved a new motor due to pitting occurring between the 1st and 2nd cylinder and also signs on the 3rd and 4th. A short motor has been ordered and the cylinder head sent off for testing to ensure it is O.K. to go back on.
    According to the service rep it could be a short, long or complete motor, depending on what is available in Australia or Thailand.
    Time frame for supply of the motor could be between several days to several months. I must say Kings in Geelong have been good to deal with and have given us one of their courtesy vehicles a twin cab Triton with tow bar and brake controller to use until the Chally is repaired, so we can tow the caravan or trailer if required.
    2012 LS, manual, Ironbark. Factory Tow Bar, TJM High Loop Nudge Bar, GME UHF, Prodigy P3 brake controller.
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    Well it has been two weeks since I had the second overheating problem.
    MM has approved a new motor due to pitting occurring between the 1st and 2nd cylinder and also signs on the 3rd and 4th. A short motor has been ordered and the cylinder head sent off for testing to ensure it is O.K. to go back on.
    According to the service rep it could be a short, long or complete motor, depending on what is available in Australia or Thailand.
    Time frame for supply of the motor could be between several days to several months. I must say Kings in Geelong have been good to deal with and have given us one of their courtesy vehicles a twin cab Triton with tow bar and brake controller to use until the Chally is repaired, so we can tow the caravan or trailer if required.
    You may be able to request a whole complete motor and just wait that little bit longer I hear there is possibly around 4 months wait ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Tony G
      • Aug 2011
      • Geelong

As MMA have agreed to repair it, what grounds would I use to request a complete motor. My concern is if the overheating has affected the head, but I was informed that is why they have sent it for testing.
      2012 LS, manual, Ironbark. Factory Tow Bar, TJM High Loop Nudge Bar, GME UHF, Prodigy P3 brake controller.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Originally posted by Tony G View Post
        As MMA have agreed to repair it, what grounds would I use to request a complete motor. My concern is if the overheating has affected the head, but I was informed that is why they have sent it for testing.
        Your point is exactly my concern also ... overheating can cause all sorts of problems ... for peace of mind a complete motor would be acceptable.

Run that past them ... but like I mentioned previously you could have a long wait ahead of you
        2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Australian Consumer Legislation

If the engine has overheated a couple of times, I would argue there is a significant risk of further damage to the engine that may not be immediately obvious and may affect it during its life span. I would push for a full replacement engine per my earlier post reproduced below:

In case you are unaware, the new Australian Consumer Law introduced in 2011 may be of interest to you.

My understanding is it goes along the lines of where you purchase a consumer good (including motor vehicles) and it fails to perform satisfactorily (as a buyer would reasonably expect) &/or is not of merchantable quality, to such an extent that, had you known this before purchasing you would not have purchased it, you are entitled to a refund or replacement (at your choice). The same applies where an item can't be properly repaired or made to work properly or has a major failure (again such that you wouldn't have bought it had you known). This is separate to the manufacturer's warranty and may well apply for longer than the factory warranty.

So the onus is on the seller to make sure goods work properly or you can get a refund or replacement. If you start talking about your ACL rights, I think you will get their undivided attention very quickly, as these laws have huge potential ramifications for car manufacturers. In effect, they are our "lemon laws".

From what I've seen on the forum, there may be quite a few owners of Challengers & Tritons who could take MMAL to task under this law. I'm not saying this would be an easy option, but the law is there to protect consumers (Office of Fair Trading may assist?)

PS - As I'm not a lawyer, be sure to research or get advice as appropriate.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• barney351
            • Nov 2011
            • Sth East,Vic

I am currently using these laws to make a claim on my biggest piece of crap I've ever owned ( my11 challenger XLS)
            Most of you would know the story of my car, starting with having returned the car to the dealer within 20mins of purchase due to issues, the challenger was returned to the Mitsubishi dealer last year, and the legal papers with claims served.
            Even with the numerous amount of safety issues my car has had and still has, this is going to be a huge fight, with the defending parties doing what seems to be everything they can do, to drag this case out and make it as expensive as possible for me,
            So the laws are there!
            And I have absolutely no doubt I will win with the evidence of invoices, photos, videos, emails, diarys etc,
            But getting to court to implement them is the hard and expensive part.
            One would think that the manufacturer/importerof this Mitsubishi challenger motor vehicle that has had so many issues would do everything within their powers to minimize the bad publicity here on the forum, and with me being a pajero club member, within the club itself, we have had days out where members have been witness to no less than a dozen episodes of random loss of power, and a traction control system that does not work.
            At a Mitsubishi sponsored car club event the other week I had to hire a 4x4 to get up there to be able to marshal a check point.
            Anyway, rant over,
            Cheers
            Last edited by barney351; 30-04-15, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Manufacturers don't care about the forum numbers as they are very small in the overall scheme of things and reputation doesn't seem to matter to them. The legal battle is of course very painful and to suggest these laws are a substitute for lemon laws is a very long stretch. As you are seeing the manufacturer will drag it to the death. A guy recently detailed all this on the Jeep forum with Fiat/Chrysler even taking the step of just not bothering to turn up to court dates.

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by fester View Post
                Manufacturers don't care about the forum numbers as they are very small in the overall scheme of things and reputation doesn't seem to matter to them. The legal battle is of course very painful and to suggest these laws are a substitute for lemon laws is a very long stretch. As you are seeing the manufacturer will drag it to the death. A guy recently detailed all this on the Jeep forum with Fiat/Chrysler even taking the step of just not bothering to turn up to court dates.
                harsh words fester ... a lot of people including Mitsubishi might take offence to what you just posted
                mitsubishi australia has just joined the forum also ... http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...highlight=mmal
                seems they do care
                Last edited by littleriver; 30-04-15, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

+1 Unfortunately this is true. I do believe that MM is doing a lot better than some manufacturers. Nissan and Ford spring to mind . If MM have any concerns about the opinions dished out on here then the best way to stop negative comments is to fix the root cause.

General opinion on here is stay away from MM dealers. There are many tales of woe. MM would well be aware of them but in the grand scheme of things ...the Oz market place is small and of not too much consequence to them. If MM can prove me wrong..I,ll be happy.

I love my Pajero...certainly glad I didn't buy a Challenger.(from what I,ve read on here)
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    +1 Unfortunately this is true. I do believe that MM is doing a lot better than some manufacturers. Nissan and Ford spring to mind . If MM have any concerns about the opinions dished out on here then the best way to stop negative comments is to fix the root cause.

General opinion on here is stay away from MM dealers. There are many tales of woe. MM would well be aware of them but in the grand scheme of things ...the Oz market place is small and of not too much consequence to them. If MM can prove me wrong..I,ll be happy.

I love my Pajero...certainly glad I didn't buy a Challenger.(from what I,ve read on here)
                    early days' yet Dicko

I agree with your comments about MM compared to other car manufacturers.

In regards to the Oz market in 2014 the sales figures of new motor vehicles were 1 million + (say that's a strong market to get in on). As for Mitsubishi's there were over 68,000 purchased in 2014 ( few jobs there ) 6th place in sales. Mitsubishi try their best to up hold their name, there is always going to be some sort of issue with any car manufacturer. As the prices of motor vehicles is continuing to fall, due to economical circumstances and competition, there will be some issues in manufacturing and mitsubishi are and always will cover their foot steps in the best way they can. We get a lot of bang for buck as far as mitsubishi's motor vehicles are concerned

It's not only motor vehicles that mitsubishi produce that we are all aware of, there would be mitsubishi components in everyone's home (whether it be electrical or mechanical components). At Australian's current population of 23.8 million I would say we have a great influence on purchasing within the world economical structure.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

23.8 million mate...about 1/3 of the city of Hong Kong.....

I,d like to think we have an influence but in reality....
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        23.8 million mate...about 1/3 of the city of Hong Kong.....

I,d like to think we have an influence but in reality....
                        I also thought the same way until I did the research

In Australia we purchased x20 more new motor vehicles then that of Hong Kong for the year ending 2014

BTW ( not having a dig at you Dicko ) no offence intended, as I too am learning the statistics more each day and am surprised at some out comes

Comment

• fester
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                          harsh words fester ... a lot of people including Mitsubishi might take offence to what you just posted
                          mitsubishi australia has just joined the forum also ... http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...highlight=mmal
                          seems they do care
                          I would disagree with that on the basis that I have seen it posted on here that a customer complains to their dealer and told them their issue was widespread and reported many times over on the forum and the answer was - we don't care or take any notice of what is posted on forums. We all know many dealers are very average but the dealer network is Mitsubishi fullstop as far as I'm concerned. Also if these manufacturers did truly care then these forums would be quite sparce in comparison to what they are (I'm referring to all brands here)

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                            I also thought the same way until I did the research

In Australia we purchased x20 more new motor vehicles then that of Hong Kong for the year ending 2014

BTW ( not having a dig at you Dicko ) no offence intended, as I too am learning the statistics more each day and am surprised at some out comes
                            I take nothing to heart from a forum mate. I normally post a thread as if I,m talking face to face. I only used 1 city as an example of how minute we are in terms of population and the area we cover. Nothing better than either winning or losing or partaking in a discussion...so long as you learn. Spose we are lucky to have the roads to drive on!!!
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• littleriver
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Queensland

I would disagree with that on the basis that I have seen it posted on here that a customer complains to their dealer and told them their issue was widespread and reported many times over on the forum and the answer was - we don't care or take any notice of what is posted on forums. We all know many dealers are very average but the dealer network is Mitsubishi fullstop as far as I'm concerned. Also if these manufacturers did truly care then these forums would be quite sparce in comparison to what they are (I'm referring to all brands here)
                              Great you disagree
                              Those dealers with that sort of attitude will learn fast and hard .... to say they don't care will hurt their companies back pocket and I would say the manager that has that sort of attitude won't have his job for long ( I had been told that also " the manager lasted 6 months, but the damage was done). As you may be aware MMA has joined the pajero forum, so there must be something in that).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X