• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John_Mc
    • Dec 2012
    • Sydney

Clunking drive Line on pushing or releasing accelerator

Driving me crazy. Every time I either hit the gas or back off the drive line gives a loud clunk. It started as a clunk when selecting between drive and reverse. If I grab the drive shafts and rotate them it will turn aprox 1/8 of a turn. The rear diff sounds a bit noisy at speed. Took it to an auto/diff place in Townsville, as I was travelling away from home in Sydney, and was told the front and rear diffs at fault and probably also the transfer case chain. I had the rear diff overhauled and they found overheated main bearings, they lapped and shimmed the pinion etc and $1800 later still same and diff still noisy but no free play in rear drive shaft still free play in front. If I put it in H4 with Ctr diff lock noise is much much less. Anyone had similar problem? P.S. I have been towing a 3000 kg caravan for the last 2 years and done aprox 30,000 towing in H4. Noise got much worse just after rear diff bushes changed to polly bushes. During rear diff bushes change I had them undo and re-torque the rear hub nuts, which were tight and ceases. After the rear diff rebuild there is a clunk every time I brake heavy, ok if braking gentle.
    Last edited by John_Mc; 10-01-20, 02:27 PM.
  • twisted32
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by John_Mc View Post
    Driving me crazy. Every time I either hit the gas or back off the drive line gives a loud clunk. It started as a clunk when selecting between drive and reverse. If I grab the drive shafts and rotate them it will turn aprox 1/8 of a turn. The rear diff sounds a bit noisy at speed. Took it to an auto/diff place in Townsville, as I was travelling away from home in Sydney, and was told the front and rear diffs at fault and probably also the transfer case chain. I had the rear diff overhauled and they found overheated main bearings, they lapped and shimmed the pinion etc and $1800 later still same and diff still noisy but no free play in rear drive shaft still free play in front. If I put it in H4 with Ctr diff lock noise is much much less. Anyone had similar problem? P.S. I have been towing a 3000 kg caravan for the last 2 years and done aprox 30,000 towing in H4. Noise got much worse just after rear diff bushes changed to polly bushes. During rear diff bushes change I had them undo and re-torque the rear hub nuts, which were tight and ceases. After the rear diff rebuild there is a clunk every time I brake heavy, ok if braking gentle.
    Rear diff poly bushes will be the main contributing factor. Factory rubber masks the issue as it is part of the inherent design.
    I have poly bushes and the clunk is much more evident on light throttle gear changes, with the torque converter locked.
    You may have some backlash, but I doubt it is a problem.
    If you don't like the stability poly diff bushes give, go back to factory rubber
    MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• John_Mc
      • Dec 2012
      • Sydney

Thanks twisted32 for the reply. I just cant believe it would make such a big change putting polly bushes in but have heard others complain about them.

Comment

• John_Mc
        • Dec 2012
        • Sydney

After months of inquires to many gear box repairers, I now believe the transfer case chain has worn and has massive backlash as well as both diffs.

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by John_Mc View Post
          After months of inquires to many gear box repairers, I now believe the transfer case chain has worn and has massive backlash as well as both diffs.
          How many kms has it done total?

I’ve not heard s occurring before.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

The chains do stretch. When really bad they jump teeth in the tough stuff when in 4LLc.

Pat
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

I had a loud clunk in mine which turned out to be as simple as a loose stub axle. A good heave on a long spanner and she was all good again.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NT11Pajero
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Sounds like I've got a similar issue. It's annoying as I can hear it every time I touch the accelerator! Will investigate bushes and tighten bolts and see if that helps
                Pajero 2011 NT GLS DID Auto. 3" 304 stainless exhaust, dyno tuned (135awkw), EGR block, EGR cooler removed, provent catch can, custom intercooler

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X