Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 02-04-19

Default Hesitation on Take Off

All
Some assistance as to a problem I have had over the last few days. So car starts up ok and as normal, driving is normal but when I’m about 5 kms into a 7/8 km trip and this only happens on take of from lights the car “hesitates” when trying to take off.
Only happens for a few seconds but then all is OK and the car drives as normal in every way, no hesitation when driving at all.

Not sure how to describe the “hesitation” but it is like what many of us have experienced with the SCV except this only happens on initial take off from a stand still and does not happen once the car is moving.

Any thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated.

Oh and its a Diesel.

Cheers
Fox
Old 02-04-19

Not sure if my issue is the same as yours but my diesel dual cab used to suffer from "hesitation" upon take off (sometimes, not all the time) and exhaust smoke. I asked my mechanic and he said it has to do with dirty diesel fuel clogging up somewhere. He asked me to put in strong diesel cleaner and take a long drive to flush out the dirt. I bought the most expensive one I can find in Supercheap and took a trip to MEL. Been ok since Dec until I sold the dual cab recently.
Old 02-04-19
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to justcruizin

Could also be turbo lag caused by a small vacuum leak.
08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110
Old 02-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruizin View Post
Could also be turbo lag caused by a small vacuum leak.

Just asking, but wouldn't turbo lag be there 100% of the time in that scenario?
Old 02-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
All
Some assistance as to a problem I have had over the last few days. So car starts up ok and as normal, driving is normal but when I’m about 5 kms into a 7/8 km trip and this only happens on take of from lights the car “hesitates” when trying to take off.
Only happens for a few seconds but then all is OK and the car drives as normal in every way, no hesitation when driving at all.

Not sure how to describe the “hesitation” but it is like what many of us have experienced with the SCV except this only happens on initial take off from a stand still and does not happen once the car is moving.

Any thoughts on what this might be would be appreciated.

Oh and its a Diesel.

Cheers
Fox

Check the small stuff first, I'd check that your fuel & air filters are clean.
Old 03-04-19
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to justcruizin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Fun View Post
Just asking, but wouldn't turbo lag be there 100% of the time in that scenario?
Mine does it occasionally, not all of the time. If it has only just started doing this, I would be looking for a vacuum leak somewhere. Or turbo boost solenoid. Just throwing a few suggestions out there.
08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110
Old 05-04-19

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

Since I posted the "hesitation' has not happened again.

Strange, so I think I will sit and wait to see if it happens again.

Cheers
Old 20-04-19

Ok so the hesitation started again. Was really bad at one point.
So changed the fuel filter, problem still going.
My mechanic had a spare boost solenoid so he hooked that up, was ok for a few days and the hesitation happened again this morning.
Is this likely to be the SCV?
Any other suggestions.

What I should also mention is that sometimes when starting in the morning it revs really high then comes good after a few seconds to normal rev/idle speed

Cheers
Old 20-04-19
Valued Member

What have you tried so far to fix the problem?

Also just thinking out loud,if it is a fuel blockage before the filter a new filter will stop contaminants reaching the pump. But wont help if there is an issue in the tank or lines.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
What I should also mention is that sometimes when starting in the morning it revs really high then comes good after a few seconds to normal rev/idle speed
Long shot, but could it be your MAF playing up? If the ECU thinks the engine has a different amount of air to what is actually flowing, it could be a mis-fuelling problem? Unplug, remove, spray with proper MAF cleaner, reinstall.

Similarly if your MAP sensor is partially blocked - do you know the condition of your intake manifold? Check the condition of the port on the manifold, inspect the hose to the sensor.

The screen in your tank could be responsible for the hesitation, but I'm not sure how it could cause high revving?

Of course, they could also be completely separate issues.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box