X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K&H
    • Dec 2009

Pajero MY 10 Diesel using oil

Just inquiring what your thoughts are on the amount of oil usage in a diesel pajero is acceptable. I have a MY10 exceed and at 12000 km whilst travelling to Adelaide from the Gold Coast I found when I dipped the oil it was in the add section. I attended a Mit dealer in Victoria and he suggested that I change the oil and keep monitoring it which was carried out.

I then travelled a further 5000km home and again it was in the add section. I took it to my dealer and he added some 500ml of oil and requested I return every 1000km for monitoring. I have again attended after a further 1000km and approx 200ml was added.

I contacted Mit and they advised that 500ml is acceptable every 1000km. I again got back to them to clarify that 500ml for 1000km and they agreed. To me that means 7.5 lts every 15000km, so in effect I am changing the oil between the handbook requirements. I am concerned that if it is using this amount of oil at 20,000km what will it use when I get to 100,000km. It may come down to filling up the oil and checking the petrol stage.

I have a copy of the emails from Mit but as indicated in the correspondence below from them I cannot copy the emails for your information.

"This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged and/or copyright information of Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd or third parties.
    Only the intended recipient may access or use it. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. "

Your comments would be appreciated.

Ken

• HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

thats crap.

1/2 lt per 100k is not ok.

Mine does not use any oil.

sounds like when holden went to the LS1 the first lot of engines used oil worse than fuel.

keep a close eye on it and dont let up on the dealers/Mitsi.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

First up, are you using the correct oil. I assume seeing mitsy topped it up, then that is not the issue. I'd be looking at an oil analysis done to confirm/deny fuel dilution and having the compression checked (poorly bedded rings etc). That usage sounds excessive to me for a 12000Km old engine. Bear in mind, at 12K, the rings are probably only just at the stage of being bedded properly. You need to determine where the oil is being used to be able to rectify, so I would start at the rings then look further afield if these come up ok. Might be wise to see what your air inlet looks like too. I would be investigating this further if it was me.

Have you seen reports on the consumption issues with the LC200?

A part of that is due to a poor design of vac pump, but I dont think that's all the problem.

Shane.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Richo-NT
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

This I would suggest is 100% a case of Mitsubishi not wanting to spend $15,000 replacing your engine.

Your motor should definetly NOT be using this much oil.

I suggest you seek some independant advice and a vehicle inspection from the RACV who will be able to confirm or otherwise whether or not this is acceptable for your vehicle, which I am 100% confident they will say its not, and then take this back to Mitsubishi along with a threat of legal action, if this does not have the issue fixed, I would then be seeking some legal advice, there are plenty of no win/no fee lawyers around if money is an issue.

Usually manufacturers trying to dodge a warranty claim will try and bluff their way through but at the first sign that you know what your doing they often back down (unless they are Nissan)
        2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• K&H
          • Dec 2009

The vehicle has only been serviced by a Mit dealer so I would imagine they use the correct oil. They have to conduct the oil consumption test, by that they check it every 1000km for about 10000km and then send it off to Mit for assessment. By the sound of Mit it will not be a problem as it is acceptable to them to use 500m per 1000km.

As for me checking the areas indicated I think that as it is under warranty it is up to Mit to check and rectify the problem. My skills only allow the basics but rest assure I will not let them pass me off.

Comment

• David Anderson
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Albury

Mine hasn't used any oil in it's first 70,000.
            (as far as I can tell )

As mentioned above, if it were me I would have it looked at by a diesel expert and see what they think.

I don't think there's been any other complaints here of excessive oil use (?) in an NT, so I'm surprised they're calling it normal.
            In both the case of the 200 series and the V8 holden (Chev) motors that used oil the companies denied it as long as they could.
            09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• wasarangie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Ocean Grove

When I had my first LS1 I found that 500 ml in a 1000 was an industry standard, even sought other opinions and no joy. After 6000klm the oil usage went to 750 ml per 1000 and the engine was rebuilt not replaced, pistons rings etc.

You have to monitor the usage as per MM direction and the records will indicate excessive usage or not.

I do know of a Clubsport that only used 300 ml that was rebuilt by GM, it sort of lost a bit of oil some how over night in the garage. We think the garden gnome must have done it.
              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• sprintman
                Valued Member
                • May 2010

What oil are you using? What is the spec in your owners manual?

Comment

• brett
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

Firstly don't be bullied by the stuff at the bottom of their letter, you have rights as well. Been on this forum since 2002 and can't remember one complaint of oil usage on a diesel, sold my NP with 150K and it didn't use a drop. Am also the owner of a LS1 commodore so know all about oil usage. My LS1 has used about 1L per 10K, it's done that since 2001 and with 120K on the clock it's still pretty much the same, initially this was a concern but it seems a characteristic of this engine, and I'm happy to get 9L per hundred out of a 5.7L V8 and alot of modern engines seem to use some oil, main reason is low friction rings which are used to make them use less fuel. The fact that these engines are not known to use oil but they are telling you 7.5L is ok is not ok, keep at them, don't give up. From my experience I find Mitsubishi's warranty to be pathetic which is in direct contrast to their marketing of Australia's best new car warranty.

Comment

• capemanifold
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • QLD

My NS Auto is very close to 100000km and does not use a drop .
                    2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• Dazza.
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Northern Territory

I have a MY10 NT DID - hasn't used any oil whatsoever. Still right on the full indicator after 7,500kms. Wouldn't know what it'd be like after 15,000 as I don't let the oil run that far - but from what I've seen I imagine it'd still be right on full.

What they are suggesting at 500m per 1,000km's is 2.5 litres per 5,000kms!!!! No way is that acceptable. As others have pointed out over 15,000km's you'd use 7.5 litres! Thats almost all the oil in the engine!!

They're shafting you - get up 'em!
                      COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

We have 3 NT Pajero's in the family, and not one of them uses any oil.

Mine has done nearly 50k, and every time I have checked the dipstick (every monday morning) it has always been absolutely full
                        2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• ozscott
                          • Apr 2009

Mitsu can be painful, like Tojo, on oil use warranty. I had a good mate with a Magna bought new - nearly the last run of them. Used a LOT of oil in normal driving. They gave him the biggest run around for ages about it being ok to use a litre of oil every 1-2 thousand and eventually after threatening legal action bought it back from him.

Cheers
                          02 Land Rover Discovery Series II V8 Manual
                          95 " " " " I Auto

Comment

• ozscott
                            • Apr 2009

Mate can I suggest that if you want to get good warranty service from Mitsu you ring and talk to Ian at Blue Ribbon Motors Mitsu (formerly LR dealers too actually) at Yamanto. He will get it sorted I reckon.

Cheers
                            02 Land Rover Discovery Series II V8 Manual
                            95 " " " " I Auto

Comment

• FamilyMan
                              • Oct 2009

Interesting. The only decent Mitsubishi service I have had was from a Landrover dealer as well. But mine was in Broome. Perhaps they are the only ones accustomed to dealing with such ***p!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X