• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

A lot has been said about not torqueing up the axle nut when the car is on the ground. I can see why this would be the case with suspension arm bushings etc, because that could set them with a pre-load on the rubber components. However, I cannot see what effect this would have on the axle nut, unless the axle (and hence the wheel bearing pre-load) was very sloppy before tightening it. I actually tightened my axle nuts with the car on the ground. SO far, so good - no failures. Maybe it will happen sooner rather than later?

Comment

• cooperplace
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2010
      • adelaide

I checked the nut a few weeks ago, was tight tight tight, and now it's started making a clunk from the left rear on takeoff. Will check it again.

Comment

• cooperplace
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2010
        • adelaide

I haven't got around to checking it yet, but it's still making a slight thunk on takeoff, from the L rear side. I didn't budge that nut at all!

Comment

• dunk_c
          • Nov 2007
          • Ipswich, Qld

Haven’t read all of the thread but just adding my experience with a 10yo NS I have had for a year now. Had the horrrendous double clunking.

I thought the fibreglass prop shaft was damaged as I got a lot of noise when rotating it by hand. Bought a new one. Universal joints at both ends worn. After installation, no significant improvement in noise but it probably needed replace,ent anyway.The prop shaft seems to act like a bell, amplified the noise of the worn CV joints at each end. Not sure If I could have just repaired the CVs.

Anyway, LH wheel nut is a problem. I solved the problem of the nut coming loose by using thread locking compound. Have been driving knock-free for 4 months.

Cheers.
          2006 Gen 4.1 LWB NS Pajero, manual. Bilstein Lovel 1” suspension, Dueller 697 17” tyres, Boos bash plates (3), Icom UHF with foldable roof rail mounted aerials, MM nudge bar with Stedi light bar, Rhino Rack Xtray, Kings awning, Kluger cargo barrier, custom iPad bracket, Alpine amplifier, Fosgate speakers, Titan drawers, battery system in the rear footwell, Matson BT battery monitor on starter battery, TP-13 TPMS. Mostly a commuter but ready to go for most adventures

Comment

• xboxice
            • Jul 2014
            • Newcastle

i install all new bushing in the rear of mine hoping this would takeaway the on off throttle thub,but nope still there i even had it happen yesterday as a test was going down a long steep hill,put the car in neutral and let it roll to the bottle and to a stop no brakes,as it came to a near stop i get a clunk its as if the drive train trying to keep up with wheels

Comment

• mongoose
              • Aug 2007

L\H rear driveshaft and hub stuffed

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have recently picked up an NW 2014 VR-X and it has a similar sound. Makes a clunk when you put your foot down a bit, you can actually feel it through the floor. My concern is this vehicle has only done 40k so how likely is this to be the problem? I initially had a look underneath the car and turned the drive shaft by hand, it turned a fair way and made a small clunk as I did so and then could not turn it back the other way, don’t know if this is a problem?

Any help appreciated.
              Last edited by mongoose; 30-07-19, 04:40 PM.
              NW Pajero VR-X
              Currently stock

Comment

• Tccuth
                • Jun 2009

Thanks to all that contributed to the fix for this clunking problem on take off. I too had the same problem and was baffled as to the cause. A re grease and re torque as per this topic fixed it, about 10 minutes a side, and the left one was loose.

Thanks again, posting solutions to strange problems is a great service.

Tccuth

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by mongoose View Post
                  Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have recently picked up an NW 2014 VR-X and it has a similar sound. Makes a clunk when you put your foot down a bit, you can actually feel it through the floor. My concern is this vehicle has only done 40k so how likely is this to be the problem? I initially had a look underneath the car and turned the drive shaft by hand, it turned a fair way and made a small clunk as I did so and then could not turn it back the other way, don’t know if this is a problem?

Any help appreciated.
                  This could easily be the read differential mounting rubbers. If they are stuffed, the diff will tramp and wind up with the torque reaction from the axles. This could cause the clunk.

Comment

• angree mouse
                    • Dec 2020
                    • Northern Victoria

Bump up !

Have an NS auto, done 2.6k since picking up late last year second hand with 190k.
                    So to the point, found from the beginning I have a clunking sound in the rear at low klm, more noticeable in quiet back streets.
                    Assumed this to be a universal joint and was going to get checked at next service in 2k.
                    Coming home through local state forest this arvo, noticed when we hit bitumen in town, not clunk, but grinding sound. ( WTF )
                    Four klm from home I put car into neutral to see if in wheels or bearings, nothing, no sound,or just luck.
                    Back into auto at around 50 klm, grinding sound comes and goes.
                    Does this sound like a bearing ?
                    Wife says sound is her side ( left passenger Aus ), I on the other-hand recon its my side rear.
                    Checked under, no sticks etc.
                    Have a few days off, so will take off wheel and check nuts, bearings.
                    Read all this old thread so hopefully is just a wheel nut loose and bearing replacement because of it.
                    Will come back and report hopefully good news.
                    Gotta love forums. ( ex patrol, prado forum )

Edited due to: Found front wheel moves top to bottom 3-5mm when pulling back and forth several times.( next day )
                    Looks like my wife was correct ( damn : )
                    checked online and looks to be past my tool assortment, + expertise, so booked in to local garage.
                    Will ask them to torque rear nuts while there.

Cheers
                    Last edited by angree mouse; 01-02-21, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Marvsat
                      • May 2011
                      • Perth

Originally posted by DaveE66 View Post
                      Hi all
                      I have an issue with my NS LWB Paj. Noticed every time i backed off the throttle and then back on there was a clunk on the left hand rear.Took it to Mitsi and they found the nut holding the hub and driveshaft together was loose. This has caused the spline to wear, so now the whole driveshaft and hub needs replacing.
                      The rear end has never been touched so I believe this came out the factory with the nut not quite tight enough and overtime it has become worse to the point of the clunk noise now. I have seen a recall on a number of NS paj with the wrong nut being used but my vehicle was built before the dates stated and on opposite side of vehicle.
                      Service manager had never heard of this happening before but has put in a goodwill claim, so will see what happens. My ns done 169000kms.
                      Quote for new parts no labour from Mitsi $1996. I can get second hand off a vehicle that has done 112000kms for $500.
                      My question is has anybody else had this issue as from my understanding the rear end of the paj,s dont have issues. Even the wreckers asked what had happened as was surprised when i told him.
                      Any help would be appreciated.
                      Dave
                      Thanks your advice was spot on. Clunking driving me crazy. Took rear LHS tyre off and found hub niut loose - could turn by hand. Tightened and no more clunking - awesome!!!! No spline damage i hope Also noticed brake pads - Now need to replace all pads 😕
                      2016 NX no DPF

Comment

• Shaky
                        • Oct 2022
                        • Queensland

Hi there
                        Ive been following this post for a while, hoping to rectify a clunking sound in the rear or the Pajero. Thought I would share some photos of the work that I followed through this group.
                        Unfortunately, I still have to keep looking as my axle nuts were up to factory specifications (220Nm).
                        Great to have these post still kicking around and helping the members.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Have you checked the top shocker mounts, they do come loose when bushes wear, in some cases the pin and top mount of the subframe can also wear.
                          Best checked with the wheel removed, the weight of the vehicle supported on the subframe and then the suspension partially compressed using a jacking under the lateral suspension arm.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X