• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HayDougie
    • Jun 2018
    • Melton

Bash plates

Hi everyone, looking at bash plates and seen the Brown Davis and Bushskinz. BD is a 4 parts and Bushskinz is 3 parts.
    Opinions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

Have a look at Boo's Bashplates https://www.boosbashplates.com.au/

Comment

• ron2503
      • Dec 2017
      • Alex Hills

Custom offroad

Highly recommend Custom Offroad. 3 piece stainless steel for around $450.
      2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
      Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
      Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• 2slow
        • Aug 2017
        • Gawler SA

Boos Bash Plates x 2
        Good customer service, fast postage, good price, great fit.

Comment

• AstinGC90
          • Nov 2017
          • Innisfail

Custom offroad x2. Excellent quality and durability. I think another member of the forum or maybe the facebook group put up a comparison between Custom Offroad stainless plates and other normal steel plates and the CO plates came out are far better off.
          2016 MY17 Pajero Sport Exceed
          MCC Rocker Bar - Runva 11XP Premium Winch - Tough Dog 40mm adjustable lift kit - Safari V-Spec - 4mm Stainless Bash Plates- Savannah RTT - Front Runner Slimline 2 Rack - All interior lighting swapped to LED's - Stedi 39" LED Lightbar with LED/DRL fogs - Intervolt DC/DC charger - Projecta 120W solar - Dual Battery under bonnet 75AH SLA aux - Provent Catch Can - Idrive Windbooster EVC313 - Miracast HDMI mod - Piranha Breathers.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Just like to correct the "myth" that high tensile bolts are the cause of the baseplate mounts cracking. The strength of the bolts have zero influence on the factory mounts cracking, the real reasons are;

1. Aftermarket bash plates are much more rigid than the factory plates so they do not flex with the chassis.
            2. Chassis flexing moves the plates even if you have oversize holes drilled and the bolts loosen, spring or star washers do not prevent the bolts from coming loose. Best I have found is Nordlock washers but I have even had these come loose after a few thousand kms of corrugated roads.
            3. I use high tensile flange head bolts with Nordlock washers.

Only possible solution is to make plates from 2.5mm high tensile stainless but the cost will be significantly more. Factory mounts are P!$$ W€£k and either need to be repaired on a regular basis or upgraded. Caution, continued repair or replacement of the mounts that hold the rear of the front plate and the forward edge of the sump plate will result if the chassis metal fatiguing and a more substantial repair will be required.

Pajero Sport chassis is identical to PB/PC Challenger so there is history of these issues.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
              • Mar 2018
              • Western Australia

Hi Old jack
              Possibly the use of oversized holes in the plates and nylon or similar grommets would solve the problem. The bolts would tighten on the grommets rather than the plates and allow the plates to flex on the nylon.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                Hi Old jack
                Possibly the use of oversized holes in the plates and nylon or similar grommets would solve the problem. The bolts would tighten on the grommets rather than the plates and allow the plates to flex on the nylon.

Unfortunately clamping down onto flexible grommets is unlikely to work as you will never get the bolts tightened enough to prevent them from vibrating loose especially where 2 plates overlap. One possible solution is to use rubber isolation mounts but this would lower the plates by about 30mm which is too greater lose in ground clearance.

Oversize holes in the plates prevent the bolts from shearing when the chassis twists and the plates do not. I do pre and post trip bolt tightness checks and on longer trips over with extended periods of corrugations I check every day or so.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DID Dash
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Australia

Anybody got any thoughts on why the Pajero Sport has a flimsy front bash plate and long plastic splash shield under the Auto while the similar Triton has a slightly tougher and less venurable profile front bash plate and a half length 2nd metal splash shield? I had intended to use my 3mm ' diff actuator protection plate' which I had on my Challenger until I realised it is not compatible with either the Pajero Sport plates. 1 cheap solution would appear to be to source a OE Triton front bash plate and use my H/D Challenger second plate, but this would mean discarding or cutting the long plastic splash shield. Curious why 2 similar cars have completely different under belly protection while the chassis and mounts appear same.
                  17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• DID Dash
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Australia

Unable to answer my own question about why the Pajero Sport and Triton have different bash plate set ups, but can confirm that they are not interchangeable without some surgery. I trial fitted a mates OE MQ Triton bash plates over the weekend with the following observations. 1/ the front bash plate wont fit unless you modify the plastic air guide. 2/ the fixing points where the front and mid plates interface are different. 3/ my Challenger HD bash plate is not compatible with Pajero Sport due to the fixing locations unmatch and 4/ the big plastic splash shield is fixed on by no less than 8 bolts. Interestingly, some of the fixing points appear more robust than on the Challenger, being directly into the chassis rather than the flimsy little light gauge brkts that often fail on Challenger when heavy bash plates are fitted. No cheap intrim fix possible for me right now.
                    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• silverbull
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Only possible solution is to make plates from 2.5mm high tensile stainless but the cost will be significantly more
                      OJ.
                      Custom off road make 3mm stainless steel plates for the Pajero sport. They are expensive at $450 but lots of folks on the PS facebook group seem happy. I'm wondering why stainless fixes this problem though? Is it more flexible than mild steel?

Comment

• DID Dash
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Australia

Went for a play in the sand dunes at Peake here in S.A. recently. Noticed sand falling out on the drive way weeks later. Took the factory plastic splash plate off to find 6.5kg of sand trapped. The splash plate survived the trip, but probably time to think about an upgrade. Pajero Sport was very impressive in the sand.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• puug
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Australia

Got a set from custom offroad after recommendations here and got it fitted when I had it rustproofed. I've only taken it to Bribie since then and so far so good. The ironman mild steel set I had on my Grand Vitara used to get knocked around a fair bit, and I've seen a number of PS's with dinted stock guards driving around, so absolutely a must for me before any beachwork.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Brisbane, Southside

Factory Bash Plates

I had the factory bash plate set fitted prior to delivery. They’re not particularly robust but I’m thinking that they’ll provide a basic level of protection, and much lighter than my old Bushskinz on the NT Paj, helping to keep vehicle weight down overall.

The other factor was that they won’t be an issue come service time as they are Mitzi genuine, and as well, they should have the required amount of flex to avoid bolt cracking etc. They weren’t cheap though.
                            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                              • Mar 2018
                              • Western Australia

Has anyone cut a hole in the plastic "bash plate" to allow an oil change without having to remove the whole thing?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X