Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Sounds like an amazing adventure you have planned. Just thought I would share my experiences using a Coleman dual fuel stove over the past few years.

While they are designed to run on dual fuel i.e. petrol and white gas / coleman fuel the petrol does burn dirtier (even more so if only poor quality fuel is available) and will eventually clog the generator. Even though the generator can be cleaned it is rather fragile so it would be worth while carrying a spare in case of breakages. The petrol is also more volatile and smelly than white gas and can leave a residue on cooking equipment.

As above I typically use white gas, on longer trips I will carry a 2L tin of white gas which is enough fuel for around a month cooking for 2 people twice a day. If at all possible it might be worth purchasing white gas at some point and carrying a quantity (i.e. 5L - 10L) which will remove the need to clean the generator.

In terms of other spares I would recommend carrying a spare pump, generator, valve stem packing and tank cap. If any of these things fail the stove will be unusable and finding spares in remote parts of the world might be difficult. When packing my stove I wrap the tank in a rag which prevents it from rattling about in the case, I also carry in the stove case a bbq lighter and a filter funnel for refueling.
Thanks for this. I anticipate that in more remote areas we will have no option but to run on petrol and hence I am expecting the generator to get clogged at some point, maybe even regularly. However, I was coming around to the idea I could just keep cleaning it. Isn't it just a long needle and spring inside the generator? Seems like with care this could be taken apart and cleaned easily enough, though you say it is fragile and are presumably speaking with experience of these cookers that I've not yet gained? How long does the pump typically last? I see it has a small oil hole to keep it lubricated. I think by 'valve stem' you are referring to the small lever that is turned to the up position for lighting. Whilst I know this is supposed to adjust the needle in the generator I can't honestly say that I can notice it having any effect on the flame at all.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Kiwi:
Since you are already talking to Cost Effective Maintenance about additives for your diesel, why not ask them the same questions about your stove and generator? I am sure they would have something to sell to you. My experience with CEM thusfar has been positive (and I have no commercial connections with them either unfortunately).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I guess my experience with one of these Coleman stoves comes from owing a 2nd hand stove that already had many years use so yours may go longer without the issues I have seen.

The first being the valve stem packing, this is a small graphite bush that seals the main fuel valve, after time this becomes worn and causes fuel to leak. It can be fixed by tightening the nut behind the fuel valve but eventually mine completely failed and needed to be replaced.

The pump didn't really give any warning, it was fine cooking dinner then the next morning when going to light the stove it would not build any pressure. I regularly oiled it but I guess it was just old.

I have cleaned the generator a few times and my comment re the fragility is related to the fine needle at the tip of the generator, I believe this needle in conjunction with the lever adjusts the air fuel ratio making the stove easier to light. You probably wouldn't have any issues cleaning it multiple times, I am more thinking the scenario if it gets dropped or damaged, not sure what effect it would have on the stove but I assume it might be difficult to light?

This page has lots of good information if you have not already seen it, its written for an older stove but pretty much everything is applicable to the newer models as well.

http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/tech/re2stovea.htm
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks for posting that info. That's a resource I might return to in the future. Here's more info specifically on using the Coleman dual fuel stove on petrol in a long term overlanding situation (also quite an interesting website/blog generally). https://landcruisingadventure.com/th...coleman-stove/. Note that he adds some injector cleaner to the fuel and finds that it helps to keep the generator clean.
MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders & rear bumper bash plate. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.