• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyosius
    • Nov 2016
    • NSW

Time to learn to use a 4wd

So my wife and I decided after the birth of our child that we needed to replace her car with something bigger, and since we were getting something bigger, I suggested I had no interest in a soft roader and we should get a real 4wd.

To my surprise, she said yes, so a couple of months later, we find ourselves the owners of a new (to us) NT Pajero. 160k on the clock and a clean bill of health from our independent mechanic (if anyone is ever looking for a mechanic in Newcastle/Raymond Terrace/Maitland - Smart Torque Automotive).
    He had one concern, namely that the NT has 3 BFG AT tires and 1 misc brand HT tire. Alas that is a hit on me - word of advice - If you say to a dealer that tire has no tread and needs to be replaced before I buy the car - say It needs to be replaced with an identical tire to the other 3.....*sigh* ho hum....I'll get that fixed shortly....

Anyway, as with all these, there is a list of things that need to be done to it.

As my wife would prefer to have a reversing camera, it therefore meant that either A) we put in a mirror screen thing, or B) replace the stock head unit.
    Well it didn't take much convincing to decide the head unit path was the more appropriate route to take, so anyway, ordered a Carjoying head unit and their Pajero to ISO harness and waited.

Eventually it turned up, so, spend an hour pulling apart the dash, remove the original audio system, install the new one and....oh....I knew one of the threads on the forums said something about a fascia....spend another half an hour returning the system to stock....

A few days later when the new fascia arrives from Melbourne repeat the process (though practice seems to have helped and the process went slightly faster). Unlike some of the after market fascias out there, this one did not come with mounting rails for the head unit and the original mounting bracket didn't quite fit. A short while and metal shavings later a new hole was drilled, which resulted in the unit sitting much closer to the desired location.

After attempting to leave the stock harness alone and only modify after market stuff, I realised that if I wanted steering wheel controls this was a fools errand. After a while of bashing my head against the brick wall that was the circuit block diagrams I finally realised which was pin 22 and pin 32 as discussed in the other posts.

Circuit appropriately modified I refitted the dash and am quite happy with the first of my modifications to the car - yes I know its essentially plug and play, but still every journey, first steps and all that.

One curiosity I did find - Plug 209, the audio system plug, on my NT was plugged into an (to me) unidentifiable plug which goes down to behind the 1DIN unit below the A/C controls (where people seem to put UHFs) and then doubled back up before plugging into the original stereo.
    I can't identify the box (can't even get in to take a good picture) but the odd part was all the wires were an army green - there was no colour coding of any of the wires at all. It looks factory fit, but beats the hell out of me if I can identify it. Anyway, the system seems to run without issue with it bypassed, so I'm not worried.

(I seem to have lost the final photo of the dash - I'll add it tomorrow)
    Attached Files
    2010 GLX NT
    Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
    Awaiting installation: Rear camera, USB power outlets
    Planned:
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Re the dealer's shonky tyre replacement, I wouldn't accept their "brush-off", as what they have done is unacceptable & possibly unroadworthy (if so, they are not allowed to sell an unroadworthy vehicle).

Check your state's regulations re unmatched tyres on the same axle to see if it is deemed unroadworthy.
    Also show the dealer the page in the handbook that says tyres must be of the same size, type, etc.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Alyosius
      • Nov 2016
      • NSW

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
      Re the dealer's shonky tyre replacement, I wouldn't accept their "brush-off", as what they have done is unacceptable & possibly unroadworthy (if so, they are not allowed to sell an unroadworthy vehicle).

Check your state's regulations re unmatched tyres on the same axle to see if it is deemed unroadworthy.
      Also show the dealer the page in the handbook that says tyres must be of the same size, type, etc.
      While I agree unfortunately he provided me with a before and after roadworthy (fail due tire wear then pass) so unfortunately he hasn't done anything illegal. Morally grey perhaps, but he sold me a roadworthy vehicle so I don't have a leg to stand on (legally speaking). It also wasn't mentioned when we took possession of the vehicle, again hit on us. Oh well $300 lesson learnt.
      2010 GLX NT
      Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
      Planned:

Comment

• Wazzap
        • Sep 2015
        • NSW

I wouldn't think any factory harnesses would use all wires the same colour, makes it mighty hard to troubleshoot - what will generally use wires all the same colour (and be best in a hard to access area) is an alarm system, as having them all the same colour makes it harder for a crim to just cut a certain colour wire to bypass the system. If all works after removing the plug it may not be a big deal as the NT would have a factory alarm/immobiliser etc anyway.

Comment

• Alyosius
          • Nov 2016
          • NSW

So, I finally got around to taking a photo of the completed dash after the joying install.

In other news, my wife and I decided to have a picnic today, so i threw the awning on (difficulties with permenant attachment in this thread here: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=54974), loaded the picnic stuff into the car and off we went.

We are moving back to Sydney (work) at the end of the year, but at the moment we live in Medowie just north or Newcastle. So the Barrington Tops National Park and the associated state forests are only an hour away. So after a quick check of wikicamps to find an appropriate place for lunch we headed off.

We only had about 9km (each way) of dirt roads, with nothing that would challange most 2WDs, let alone the pajero, however it was still a good day, with georgous weather and we had a great time.
          Attached Files
          2010 GLX NT
          Planned:

Comment

• Allan2
            • May 2013
            • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Even the little fella looks happy along with your good lady. Good on you and your family for getting out there and enjoying the country.
            Allan
            2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• Jan 2016
              • adelaide

I have a NFC tag near my stereo too!

Comment

• Wazzap
                • Sep 2015
                • NSW

What's the NFC tag for?

Now that you have the joying, you may be able to automate whatever it was for on your phone - eg my (android) phone runs an app called Automate which I've got set to detect when it's in the car (via the bluetooth connection to the joying HU) and switch on the mobile hotspot, which the HU then connects to for internet use.

Comment

• Alyosius
                  • Nov 2016
                  • NSW

The NFC tag was actually provided by Joying, it was preprogrammed to make whichever device scans it to connect via bluetooth to the head unit. So do I need it any more now that my phone is programmed to connect, not really but it we have someone else in the car it's very easy for them to connect to the head unit.
                  For what it's worth, I use tasker on my phone so can do any number of automation tasks but haven't gotten around to writing any for the car yet.

In other news the car went back to the mechanics yesterday morning. After the service last week we noticed an oil spot on the driveway so my wife took it back to them to get it fixed. Turns out when they put the sump plug back in the washer developed a kink and so wasn't sealing properly. New washer and it's all good.
                  The mechanics were great about it and replaced the oil they lost while doing the fix free of charge without a second thought, so if your in the Maitland area and looking for a mechanic, have a chat to these guys.
                  2010 GLX NT
                  Planned:

Comment

• Alyosius
                    • Nov 2016
                    • NSW

Well the tyre problem is now fixed. $750 later and now all 5 tyres are BFG KOs, balanced and aligned.
                    I now have 2 Bridgestone H/T Duelers available if anyone wants to take them off my hands :P
                    2010 GLX NT
                    Planned:

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

do note that it is illegal in most states to have different brand/style tyres on the same axle and in the case of 4x4 I have heard of police picking vehicles for having different brands front and rear. the idea there is that all wheels driving the vehicle have to be the same, same goes for all wheels steering. And full time 4X4 need the same to avoid centre diff bind ups.
                      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X