• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorazr
    • Aug 2018
    • Adelaide

Torque converter control NL

I have been tossing up whether to install a torque converter control and emailed wholesale automatic transmissions to see if they had a kit for the NL transmission.($595)
    I received a reply that they could put one together but they don’t have any accurate wiring instructions with pin outs so could not supply me with any installation instructions.
    Can anyone assist with the pin outs required to do this TCC install.

1998 3.5lt sohc w45 6g74
    Last edited by motorazr; 13-12-18, 01:48 PM.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by motorazr View Post
    I have been tossing up whether to install a torque converter control and emailed wholesale automatic transmissions to see if they had a kit for the NL transmission.($595)
    I received a reply that they could put one together but they don’t have any accurate wiring instructions with pin outs so could not supply me with any installation instructions.
    Can anyone assist with the pin outs required to do this TCC install.

1998 3.5lt sohc w45 6g74
    I don't have access to NL wiring diagrams, but if somebody can provide a starting point, I'm fairly certain I can help confirm the correct pins.

Otherwise, if you can find the appropriate Toyota wiring diagram, we might be able to "reverse engineer" the NL pin-outs.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Patagonia
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

You shoud find the workshop manual in www.mitsubishilinks.com.
      2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
      Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
      31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
      2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• motorazr
        • Aug 2018
        • Adelaide

Thanks for the offer of assistance, it is appreciated. To be perfectly honest I don’t know what I am supposed to be looking for, it wasn’t explained to me. I have made a search and copied a series of schematics for the ecu and attach them. I don’t know if these are what I need.
        Attached Files

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by motorazr View Post
          Thanks for the offer of assistance, it is appreciated. To be perfectly honest I don’t know what I am supposed to be looking for, it wasn’t explained to me. I have made a search and copied a series of schematics for the ecu and attach them. I don’t know if these are what I need.
          We may be getting somewhere.

Within your PDF there are a number of diagrams for different engines that have nothing to do with your Paj - but that's OK. Page 90-55 for "ELC 4-Speed Automatic Transmission" shows a "lock up solenoid" near the bottom left corner. We need to determine if this circuit matches your Paj.

How?

At the top of the page is a block representing the ECU that controls your A/T. The wiring for the lock-up solenoid is in plug "C-133" at the ECU, and the plug layout is shown at the bottom of the page. First step is to find your A/T ECU, see if it has a 26 pin connector that looks like C-133, then see if Pin 1 is a red wire with a black stripe (wire code R-B).

Note that, while I think it's worth checking, I don't have high hopes. Some stuff on the bottom of the last page suggests this is for the US market, and we all know the US like things done differently...
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

NL auto trans ecu is up above where the clutch pedal would normally be on a manual....
            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• motorazr
              • Aug 2018
              • Adelaide

Thanks guys it will be a few days but I will get back with an answer.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

How do these torque converter controls work? I'm old school with automatics and thought torque converters only worked via the fluid pressure

Comment

• v8r
                  • May 2014
                  • mudgee, nsw

i wired a simple on off switch to my nl.
                  the wires were intercepted under the dash above the brake pedal. unfortunatly i cant remember which ones they were and ive now sold that car.
                  as the jatco doesnt allow lockup in 1st, there is no advantage when doing slow crawls in 1st low but there is some to be had when cruising at speed.. when disabled the trans runs in factory mode, when enabled, its in lockup from 2nd up and as a result, shifts can be harsh at times. i only used it a bit when out on the hwy or fanging it a bit around the place.
                  if you forget its on and come to a halt, the worst ou get is a little shudder as the trans comes back to first and the TC unlocks..

HTH somewhat

EDIT:
                  Just going off that diagram posted i mustve interrupted the R-B (red-black, pin 1 in the 26 pin c-133 or pin 12 in the 32 pin C-124) wire from the AT-ECU and IIRC, taking it to 12v gives the TC-LU solenoid the signal to lock.. a bit dusty the memory banks but that sounds about right, best if someone else confirms tho
                  Last edited by v8r; 19-12-18, 10:18 PM.
                  My Fuelly.com stats

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Ask Wholesale for the install instructions for whatever vehicle has the same transmission - a Toyota of some kind I would guess. That may also help us confirm we're on the right track.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• DWC
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Newcastle

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                      How do these torque converter controls work? I'm old school with automatics and thought torque converters only worked via the fluid pressure
                      Your right Stu, they do work on fluid pressure, it's just a solenoid to turn the lockup clutch fluid pressure on/off.
                      '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
                      Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
                      Conversion thread:
                      http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Beauty, thanks DWC

Comment

• Dongskie2
                          • Dec 2016
                          • Manila & Berwick

Originally posted by v8r View Post
                          i wired a simple on off switch to my nl.
                          the wires were intercepted under the dash above the brake pedal. unfortunatly i cant remember which ones they were and ive now sold that car.
                          as the jatco doesnt allow lockup in 1st, there is no advantage when doing slow crawls in 1st low but there is some to be had when cruising at speed.. when disabled the trans runs in factory mode, when enabled, its in lockup from 2nd up and as a result, shifts can be harsh at times. i only used it a bit when out on the hwy or fanging it a bit around the place.
                          if you forget its on and come to a halt, the worst ou get is a little shudder as the trans comes back to first and the TC unlocks..

HTH somewhat

EDIT:
                          Just going off that diagram posted i mustve interrupted the R-B (red-black, pin 1 in the 26 pin c-133 or pin 12 in the 32 pin C-124) wire from the AT-ECU and IIRC, taking it to 12v gives the TC-LU solenoid the signal to lock.. a bit dusty the memory banks but that sounds about right, best if someone else confirms tho
                          Is it possible to do it on the wires near the shifter, going to the tranny?

thanks!
                          Nothing beats Doing It Yourself.... Tuned 4M40 and 4D56T WIP

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X