Below Nav Bar

Collapse

WA, how VSB 14 Mods are applied, CRAZY!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

WA, how VSB 14 Mods are applied, CRAZY!!!

Ok Sandgroppers, I was interested in the changes of how VSB 14, which is the rule book for vehicle modifications, is applied in WA as I noticed recent changes, so I emailed DOT with a list of clear questions. I was hoping for an email reply but I got a phone call instead, thinking about this afterwards, it is possibly a ploy as I have no written record of my conversation and answers to my questions.

I was told that there have no been no changes to how VSB 14 is applied in WA and the updated DOT website was just to clarify existing requirements. My response to this was the updated website is not clear hence why I emailed a list of questions!!!

From what I was told, is there have been no changes in the way VSB 14 is applied and all modifications to a 4wd that comply with VSB 14 must be advised to DOT!
    There are 3 levels of modification classifications.
    Minor: Modifications that DO NOT require approval or inspection
    Simple: Modifications that require the vehicle to be inspected
    Complex: Modifications that require engineering certification and approval.

In the case of Simple and Complex modifications I was told that the approval certificate that is issued after the inspection and approval must be carried in the vehicle at all times. This requirement is retrospective for the last 10+ years from what I was told so how many people are driving around in WA registered vehicle with suspensions lifts that meet the requirements of VSB 14 but do not have the paper work in their glovebox!

The person that called me was not 100% correct in their understanding of VSB 14 and when I asked him to look at a certain section he said that the computer link was down and he could not access it. If I was in WA I would be looking into this further.

The following modifications do not need written pre-approval from the DoT and can be assessed by an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) vehicle examiner at time of the inspection.

So as "Sharkcaver" would say "OJ has thrown hand grenade into the camp fire", again.

The ball in your court Sandgropers!

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 20-11-18, 09:10 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Interesting. Further investigation warranted for sure.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

VSB 14 is looked at - interpreted into chinese by google then into russian then back into english then they use the results as a guide and alter things based on a progressive formula based on the colour of their underwear that day and that is the rules in WA....... one of the state thats I know of that requires a swerve test for suspension mods.... at a cost of $1000s of dollars often on a vehicle that costs less the the test regime...... and they wonder why no one (or very few) get these mods certified. Then the cops come along and defect the swerve tested engineered and passed setup and it has to be redone and changed..... been there (with my old boss) seen it happen.... no point engineering my $4000 if its lucky Pajero for its lift
      Last edited by stumagoo; 21-11-18, 10:26 PM.
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

WA says “What, we’re doing it the same as another state! Can’t have that”.
        I left WA (begrudgingly and forced by circumstance) with the understanding that WA do things differently for no other reason than to do it different to the rest of the nation. Some may liken it to small man syndrome.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
          WA says “What, we’re doing it the same as another state! Can’t have that”.
          I left WA (begrudgingly and forced by circumstance) with the understanding that WA do things differently for no other reason than to do it different to the rest of the nation. Some may liken it to small man syndrome.
          Pretty much sounds like it - what daylight savings - we dont need it if the other states want to deal with us they can change their times to suit...... I dont care about DST one way or the other but the fact that most the other states have it and its bad enough being 2 hours behind when trying to order stuff.
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
            what daylight savings - we dont need it if the other states want to deal with us they can change their times to suit...... I dont care about DST one way or the other but the fact that most the other states have it and its bad enough being 2 hours behind when trying to order stuff.
            It's not an east-west thing, it's north-south. DST makes more of a difference the further you get away from the equator (more significant change in the length of the day), so it doesn't make as much difference across the north of the country (northern WA, NT, North Queensland) as it does in the southern states.

Growing up in Adelaide, I loved it. Long, balmy evenings to enjoy being outside in the fresh air.

When I lived in Cairns, at the end of a hot summer's day, I just wanted the sun to go away. I'd go outside and do things after dark. Why would I want the sun to hang around for another hour?

When I lived in Brisbane, I thought there might be some minor benefit in daylight saving, but it doesn't make as much difference as it does in Adelaide or Melbourne.

If WA & Queensland really want it, they should consider splitting timezones somewhere around the Tropic of Capricorn - or maybe just below. Let the southern parts have DST, but leave the northern parts in peace. Deal with timezone differences.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X