• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CC2005
    • Sep 2011
    • Mornington Peninsula

PB Challenger Rear Suspension - is it a legacy from

Is the PB Challenger's rear suspension assembly a carryover from another model? In particular I'm interested in the radius arm bushes dimensions, etc. Then I'll investigate to see if I can obtain some "off the shelf" offset bushes to adjust the rear diff angle.

Cheers,
    CC
    PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

No need to investigate mate,

I believe Fulcrum do them in a kit. It is designed to rotate the diff to reduce vibrations when the vehicle is lifted.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• wasarangie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Ocean Grove

There are offset bushes available. I have them fitted to my Challenger and a spare set in the shed. I can get a photo and measurements later if you need them.
      SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• CC2005
        • Sep 2011
        • Mornington Peninsula

Thanks 02-SR5, thanks wasarangie very much appreciated.

O2-SR5, your belief of Fulcrum is correct, I Googled them. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Fulcrum supplied bushes to Ultimate Suspension and other suspension suppliers. I'll give them a call next week.

Wasarangie, did you locate and fit the offset bushes to your Challenger yourself or were they supplied as part of a kit? And the spare bushes that you have, are they also offset bushes? I'd still be very interested to obtain whatever details you can provide me. At your leisure.

Cheers,
        CC

Comment

• wasarangie
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Ocean Grove

The photos are of the spare bush kit I have. The ones in the car were supplied by Ultimate and are the same offset kit.

The brand is "Super Pro".
          Attached Files

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• bugeye50
            • Oct 2013
            • Douglas Park NSW 2569

Anyone reputable in the Campbelltown NSW area?

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

You should be able to get them through any suspension place. The principal is exactly the same as front castor bushes for Patrols and Cruisers so suspension places will have been installing them for years. Pedders may also be a source as they make the front bushes so good chance they do the Challenger rears too but I haven't looked.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Also suggest that you'll need a press to swap the bushes over.

I tried using a jack (and also wasted hours grinding a piece of water pipe down to size to use as a pressing tool), but no go - they were freaking tight.
                The front bush remains in place. It's just the rear pair on each arm that get changed.

I have a copy of the procedure if you are interested.
                2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• CC2005
                  • Sep 2011
                  • Mornington Peninsula

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                  Also suggest that you'll need a press to swap the bushes over.

I tried using a jack (and also wasted hours grinding a piece of water pipe down to size to use as a pressing tool), but no go - they were freaking tight.
                  The front bush remains in place. It's just the rear pair on each arm that get changed.

I have a copy of the procedure if you are interested.
                  Kingbrown, thank you, I'm definitely interested in a copy. It would be appreciated.

Cheers,
                  CC

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

It appears that these bushes could be fitted in any position so how do you ensure they are in the correct position and the same left and right?
                    If they are really tight then a profiled insertion tool will be required to press against so the outer body of the bush does not distort.

cheers, old Jack.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

OJ - you're on the money, as we've come to expect !

To ensure that the offset holes in the new bushes line up with the relevant mountings on the axle housing, the bushes on only one arm are changed whilst using the old bushes within the other arm as a template (to ensure that the separation between the holes is correct). Then do the second arm using the first arm as its template.

Quite right that the tool used for pressing needs to have a detent or chamfer on its inner radius - so that the outer ring of the bush isn't deformed.

Something like the OEM jigs attached.
                      Attached Files
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• wasarangie
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        It appears that these bushes could be fitted in any position so how do you ensure they are in the correct position and the same left and right?
                        If they are really tight then a profiled insertion tool will be required to press against so the outer body of the bush does not distort.

cheers, old Jack.
                        The bushs if bought from Ultimate come with instructions. You can also look it up on Youtube. It is easy to set them up.
                        This link will give you an idea.

A tutorial on installing castor correction bushing on a Toyota Land Cruiser, the same process can be used on the Land rover.

I used profiled press tools as I have a dealers workshop that I can use on weekends.

Just for those that do not have a workshop. All you need is a bearing race, the outer part, from a trailer. I measured up an inner bearing race -the outer part, Holden style in this case. It will sit on the metal outer of the bush and then place a flat plate on the top and press. The bearing race will hold the flat plate high enough to clear the raised part of the bush.

With a press they go in easily. I have in the past used a bolt and plates to get the same effect. Use an impact gun and in they go. Same for getting them out. Just use a few spacers to keep clear of the trailing arm as you push the spacer out.

I also found the instruction for installation today. If anyone would like a copy I can post as attachment.

Comment

• Cadddyman
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bugeye50 View Post
                          Anyone reputable in the Campbelltown NSW area?
                          Ultimate Suspension is based in Ingleburn, not far from us in Campbelltown.
                          2010 Challenger XLS

Comment

• fester
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                            The bushs if bought from Ultimate come with instructions. You can also look it up on Youtube. It is easy to set them up.
                            This link will give you an idea.

A tutorial on installing castor correction bushing on a Toyota Land Cruiser, the same process can be used on the Land rover.

I used profiled press tools as I have a dealers workshop that I can use on weekends.

Just for those that do not have a workshop. All you need is a bearing race, the outer part, from a trailer. I measured up an inner bearing race -the outer part, Holden style in this case. It will sit on the metal outer of the bush and then place a flat plate on the top and press. The bearing race will hold the flat plate high enough to clear the raised part of the bush.

With a press they go in easily. I have in the past used a bolt and plates to get the same effect. Use an impact gun and in they go. Same for getting them out. Just use a few spacers to keep clear of the trailing arm as you push the spacer out.

I also found the instruction for installation today. If anyone would like a copy I can post as attachment.
                            That's also what old sockets are for.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X