• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amr75wcr
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Sunny Coast

Np air con evaporator

One of the techs at work has invested in a flash endoscope for looking inside engines so we had a look inside the ac box today and now i really understand why cabin filters have been added to late model vehicles. Well after 238000k on the Pajero this is what we have found.
    Attached Files
    04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Oh dear, you've got some mud happening in there Wayne!
    Any idea if you can relatively easily get into the evaporator to give it a cleanout from up above the passengers footwell perhaps?
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

It's Alive! Yuck.
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• amr75wcr
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
        Oh dear, you've got some mud happening in there Wayne!
        Any idea if you can relatively easily get into the evaporator to give it a cleanout from up above the passengers footwell perhaps?
        Dan.
        Not sure at this stage, I did sent the prob down to view the top of the evaporator and it is no where as bad, according to the MM parts fiche the fan section will detach from the main heater box. Weather the are able to be spilt with the dash in is the unknown factor at this stage.
        Wayne
        04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

Comment

• amr75wcr
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2009
          • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by psproule View Post
          It's Alive! Yuck.
          I guess it's a combination of the dust poring in the rear vents and no cabin filter, after all the Ac lives in recirc.
          Wayne

Comment

• amr75wcr
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Sunny Coast

Ok so today it was dismantle the Pajero dash to try and clean the air con evaporator. Well i have to say hats of to the guys at MM total job took about 2 hours as the air box unit is in three seperate parts and can be split with the dash in.
            Firstly remove the top glove box, its not that difficult so i didn't take pics, one the top glove box is out the center piece of the air box needs to be removed.
            this piece is the bit that allows access to evaporator. Don't forget to unplug the wiring connector on the resistor.
            under the main glove box the plastic trim needs to be removed

threaded clip at the back and two plastic phillips type screw heads under the glove box trim.
            This clip is in a bastard of a spot to get

Once the top dash i removed and the lower trim there is two bolt and one clip in the back of the air duct between the fan and evaporator housing.

remove these whilst you a crawling around on the ground.
            Next step is to release the lower glove box so it will allow better access just push either side of the glove box to allow the stops to clear the dash.

Once the lower dash is out of the way the is a large metal bracket held in by a 10mm bolt remove it.

Once this is out of the way there is a 10 and 8 mm bolts that need to be removed as well as a phillips screw holding the bracket on top of the air chanel, it holds the feron tubing in place at the tx valve there is only the one screw on it.

After these 4 bolts and one screw have been removed the center air duct will slide straight down it may need a little jiggling to clear the dash and the floor carpet, i needed to pull back on the bottom of the dash panel where the center console joins to clear the metal framework on the inside of the dash.
            This is the piece you are trying to remove.

After it is out this was the state of the evaporator.

Then came the question how to clean the bloody thing, i grabber the garden hose moved the car to a slight angle so the drain hole was downhill, grabbed a towel and wrapped it around the hose fittings. i put the adjustable nozzle on the flat spray pattern and held it inside the evaperator box and began to spary in small burts.

I put the hose in here.

I think half of WA and QLD flowed freely from the drain hole, after a few minutes of flushing and the water was running clear this was the result.

Job done refitting is a matter of holding your tongue right as well to get the duct back in but all in all not that bad.
            After refitting it i tested the air con again and now the air hammers out the vents on high speed which was a far cry from last week.
            So if you air seems a bit ordinary before rushing of to the auto electricans to have a regas my suggestion would be check the evaporator for clogging.
            Next mission fix the rear air vent dusting problem.
            Wayne
            Last edited by amr75wcr; 15-04-12, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• brianwanless
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2008
              • Mackay Nth Qld

Well done Wayne. Great post, the photos make it very clear. It will make a huge difference to the airflow. Sometimes the worst looking jobs turn out to be fairly simple, if you take it stage by stage and put all the screws, bolts and bits you remove in separate containers. I find that helps a lot when trying to put it all back together. Good job. Brian.
              NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Cairns

Top job Wayne, thanks for being the guinea pig and showing us all how it is done!
                Cheers, Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• amr75wcr
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                  Top job Wayne, thanks for being the guinea pig and showing us all how it is done!
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  No probs, at least I can confirm that it has not been to no advantage. The air conditioning has a very noticeable improvement.
                  Wayne

Comment

• AJC
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • ACT

Originally posted by amr75wcr View Post
                    No probs, at least I can confirm that it has not been to no advantage. The air conditioning has a very noticeable improvement.
                    Wayne
                    Thanks Wayne...i think! There goes another Sunday!

Al
                    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• green monster
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Adelaide

cheers Wayne,, im convinced mine will be in a similar state,, will get right on it
                      thanks mate.
                      NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Huck
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Wodonga

HMM Thanks very much

Well done buddy, just exactly what i think has happened, Last 18 months has been 2 big central Aus trips in convoy, I get a muddy smell when i whack the air on if it has not been used for a couple of days. So this is very much on the to do list now. (with every thing else)
                        Great post and so informative.
                        I love this forum
                        DEC 2002 NP GLS 3.2 DID, Pajero, Dark Blue, ARB Winchbar, 9000lb XM Winch, Ultima 175 Blue Lights , 2" lift, Polyair red bags, Cooper ST Shoes, Diff & Trans Breathers, Snorkel, Uniden UHF, ABR Sidewinder Dual batt Management, and the Original one and only CFC Camper Trailer (Cowan Family Camper)

"If your not living life on the edge, your taking up too much space!"

Comment

• Dude
                          • Sep 2011
                          • Victoria Point

Hi am75wcr,

Does it look possible to remove the evap coil from where you were at without removing the dashboard?

Mine has a leak.

dude.

Comment

• amr75wcr
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by Dude View Post
                            Hi am75wcr,

Does it look possible to remove the evap coil from where you were at without removing the dashboard?

Mine has a leak.

dude.
                            To be honest I didn't really have that close a look, I just had a closer look at my photos and I think the whole air box would need to come out. As to the ability to get the air box out without taking out the dash I really don't know but it think it would be dash out.
                            And no I am not going to be the pioneer on that.

Just checked the workshop manual DASH OUT

Wayne
                            Last edited by amr75wcr; 19-04-12, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Dude
                              • Sep 2011
                              • Victoria Point

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X