• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nat82
    • Nov 2018
    • Brisbane

Low/high boost codes limp mode !!!!!!

Recently whilst doing 100k towing small trailer asc and engine light come on and limp mode . Switch off and back on power still there but still fault ,this happens a couple more times under exactly same circumstances eventually with no power , mechanic replaces the boost solenoid all is good for a about a week then exact same problem again, power still there but under load just keeps going to limp mode and eventually looses all power, mechanic installs Dawes valve and all good again until a week later then bang no power , he then drops psi slightly and few days later Asc is back and same situation , mechanic is talking ecu replacement I’ve heard everything from turbo replacement too changing manifold to nt and egr block etc etc
    Looking for advise and also if anyone knows a good pajero mechanic in Logan Brisbane area as I’m not confident the diesel mechanic knows what they are doing 🤷@*$#♂️
    Cheers
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Would help if you had the codes.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Have you checked that the MAP sensor port on the intake manifold is not blocked with carbon? (Just pull off the vacuum hose and push some stiff wire into the barb’s centre hole.)
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Nat,

Manual or auto gearbox?

Any fault codes?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

Has anyone checked the vacuum hoses of the turbo system both sides for leaks with a vacuum pump? Especially the lower leg piece that goes into the MAP port of the engine.
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

As others have said, we need to start with the codes. I'd personally be concerned that the mechanic is now talking about replacing the ECU. Pajero ECU's seldom if ever go bad. Similarly the Pajero turbo is very robust and every case I've known of where the mechanic/dealer wanted to replace the turbo it turned out not to have been at fault. My initial feel is that you may have a carboned up inlet manifold, causing a blockage to the feed to the MAP sensor - which of course controls boost. Other possibilities such as a split hose between manifold and MAP sensor have been suggested by others.
            Quite possibly no new parts are required and your inlet manifold just needs to be removed for cleaning - most of us have had to do this at some point - has yours been done previously? Just a note if this does indeed turn out to be the issue - it is not necessary to change to the NT style manifold. This is commonly misunderstood in my opinion. You could do that, but it will add the cost of a new manifold, whereas your cleaned NS manifold is perfectly fine. If this turns out to be the issue and you want me to elaborate on this point let me know. But first get the codes so people can offer more assistance.
            2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• padey
              • Apr 2018
              • Sydney

Limp Mode (LM) has been an issue on my NS 3.2L Diesel for several years, only when towing our caravan. Mitsubishi Mildura said it was a leaking turbo intercooler (three years ago during a caravan trip). That cost my $1400 and still have LM. Mitsubishi dealers have not been able to fix the issue. After a recent short caravan trip with LM, I had Trivett Mitsubishi, Rydalmere (Sydney) investigate. They came up with three codes - "P1299, U1120 and 35 engine code". They cleared two, but were unable to clear U1120 as they required "a combination metre to be replaced with a temporary one from another vehicle". Had no other Pajero in the work shop. Heading to Melbourne next week for the tennis and hoping to have no LM on the hills. Time will tell!!!!! I have annoyingly got used to limping up a hill; turning off engine and restarting regularly.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by padey View Post
                Limp Mode (LM) has been an issue on my NS 3.2L Diesel for several years, only when towing our caravan. Mitsubishi Mildura said it was a leaking turbo intercooler (three years ago during a caravan trip). That cost my $1400 and still have LM. Mitsubishi dealers have not been able to fix the issue. After a recent short caravan trip with LM, I had Trivett Mitsubishi, Rydalmere (Sydney) investigate. They came up with three codes - "P1299, U1120 and 35 engine code". They cleared two, but were unable to clear U1120 as they required "a combination metre to be replaced with a temporary one from another vehicle". Had no other Pajero in the work shop. Heading to Melbourne next week for the tennis and hoping to have no LM on the hills. Time will tell!!!!! I have annoyingly got used to limping up a hill; turning off engine and restarting regularly.

P1299 is under boost. P1298 is over boost.The Dawes may need another adjustment. Once you get close to the correct spot they are very sensitive. If your Pajero is an auto the vanes in the turbo are operated a solenoid that needs to be checked. If that's ok another problem is the carbon build up in the turbo prevents the solenoid from fully adjusting the vane.

We have the U1120 code appear on an irregular basics. Doesn't cause any problems. Our mechanic calls it a BS code. Torque Pro clears it no problems.

Comment

• hussrum
                  • Aug 2013
                  • brisbane

limp mode

hi.i also have this problem ns auto 10/07 diesel 240,000ks. have had this problem since I did a service only thing different is I change to a 5w/40 from a 5w/30 all low ash, have had a p1299 code,boost pressure, have had boost pressure checked all seems ok, change scv, had manifolds removed & acid bathed as the where a bit blocked, seems to go in to limp mode on slight hills like the gateway bridge Brisbane, engine lights comes on then asc & traction control lights come on then limb mode, putting off towing as I don't want to get rear ended, fell like driving it into the Brisbane river so if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated, Chris.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Auto or Manual trans?
                    Do either the ABS or ASC lights flash when in limp mode?
                    Does it only happen when driving up hills?

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• hussrum
                      • Aug 2013
                      • brisbane

limp mode

hi,its a auto,it happens more on hills,no the lights don't flash they just stay on,if you turn the ignition of wait a few seconds & restart the traction & asc lights go but engine light stays on & no limp mode, my ob11 can clear the engine light but it wont pick up the code,happend again today about 60ks when it did it last time,am going to put it on a dyno next week & try to get it into limp mode,also going to do a 3" exhaust but want to find out this problem first.

Comment

• damitjk
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brisbane

Hi we where having the same problem when towing then going into limp mode now it’s happening randomly when not even towing we hear a clunk revs change then limp mode pull over cool the car down and it’s fine sometimes drives for an hour or 2 fine then it happens again got a 2003 diesel auto Pajero been to 3 different mechanics gear box is fine no codes come up on MM scanner can anyone help PLEASE running out of options

Comment

• Dav080
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Newcastle, Australia

I was having the same issue with p1298/99 going up hills etc. The problem ended up being the turbo wastegate actuator solenoid (quite a mouthful). I ordered a new one off eBay and it's been running sweet ever since. My Pajero is an NS and the solenoid part number is MR258166. It cost $140 including postage from China.
                          Davo
                          NS 3.2 Diesel 25th Anniversary, ARB Sahara Bar, Lightforce LED215 driving lights, Bilstein shocks, Lovell Springs, ARB Snorkel, Cooper AT3 tyres, Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB, SPVI module and EGR Blanking plate.

Comment

• craka
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by damitjk View Post
                            Hi we where having the same problem when towing then going into limp mode now it’s happening randomly when not even towing we hear a clunk revs change then limp mode pull over cool the car down and it’s fine sometimes drives for an hour or 2 fine then it happens again got a 2003 diesel auto Pajero been to 3 different mechanics gear box is fine no codes come up on MM scanner can anyone help PLEASE running out of options

This should really be posted in the Gen3 forum if you have a 2003 pajero.
                            You should perhaps post there. If it's an auto something to question is when was the last time the auto transmission had a flush and new auto fluid?
                            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• hussrum
                              • Aug 2013
                              • brisbane

limp mode

Well found the problem with my ns auto 3.2. put it on a dyno & turbo veins stuck open they recon it was corrosion on the veins from beach driving what i do do a bit of.I really still dont no how they can see the veins.but put a new ihi turbo on at a cost of $998.MM wanted $3800 for the same turbo have done 1500ks now with no problem.just put a dpf delete with no problems & a idrive. as far as im conserned the idrive are great a good upgrade for the cost. ps i have a turbo on my bench if anybody was interested in any parts.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X