• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hurrell
    • Nov 2018
    • Brisbane

Pajero engine light and shake on shutdown

Hi all,

Hope someone can shed some light on whats going on with my Pajero. (2008 VR-X NS Diesel)

Happened a few days ago and hasn't happened for about 9 months. When i go to turn the car off, the engine continues to idle for around 1-2 seconds then shakes when shutting down. Next time I go to start the car, the engine light is on and will continue to have the weird shutdown for a few days. In the mornings if I start the car and turn off a few times in a row it seems to reset whats going on and engine light will disappear and shutdown will be normal. But then for no reason, it will return after a bit of a drive. There is no loss of power or anything. Its just when shutting down that the car is different.

Have taken it to Mitsubishi in the past and they cant seem to find anything. But when I managed to get it to them, the light went off and engine was shutting down normally.

Im not mechanically minded at all so really have no idea whats going on... Recently been mostly city driving, occasional drives from Brisbane to Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated...
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I noted the slight engine run-on after shutdown after I fitted the electronic EGR block. It was more noticeable if the air conditioner was on. No Check Engine Light. I had Mitsubishi replace the engine mounts under warranty and I haven't noticed any shaking since. Yesterday I was driving over some rough stuff in Low Range, and the gear lever was flailing wildly, so the engine mounts must be very soft.

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Just a guess and what I would look at first, check that the inlet manifold butterfly shuts when the key is turned off.
      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Hurrell
        • Nov 2018
        • Brisbane

Have started the car and driven around today and engine light has gone off and car is shutting down normally now... really bizarre.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
          Just a guess and what I would look at first, check that the inlet manifold butterfly shuts when the key is turned off.

That is one of the main functions of the butterfly valve - to act as a snubber to starve the engine of air when the engine is being shut down.

Comment

• Stoneman
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2012
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
            Best place to start, I just replaced mine from the old days of drilling the hole in it because I hated the run on it gave, i think 3 years after buying it
            NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Stoneman
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2012
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by erad View Post
              That is one of the main functions of the butterfly valve - to act as a snubber to starve the engine of air when the engine is being shut down.
              There is other functions than just shutting the engine down it’s all in the manual.
              NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X