• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg
    • Oct 2007
    • Melbourne

DIY Flares

I fitted bigger tyres today and they stick out by about 2". I've seen some 4wds with the plastic rubbery flares and heard that its just lawn edging.

Has anyone done this mod?
    Any particular tricks involved or is it a matter of cutting to size and fastening using tek screws to the wheel arch?

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg
    1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back
  • 4wd26
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

Thats the general idea with the garden edging- although oer time the tek screws wear and loosen up. Try and add some strength to the wheel arch before hand, not sure how?

You could try sourcing the original flares from over in New Zealand. Try "trademe" which is their version of ebay. They have a heap of imoprts there with flares and they come up for sale quite often. The make the vehicle look heaps better.

Trade Me has 323 listings for Cars for sale. Get detailed vehicle info, view photos, and do a quick background check so you can buy with confidence today.

Not sure if the link will work.

Cheers
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Comment

• Rexy
      • Oct 2007
      • Wodonga

MORE new tyres :0

Getting ready for sunday are you...???

Try Don Kyatt Spare Parts in West Melb, near you and the sell rubber flares like that by the meter

172 Roden St, West Melbourne, VIC 3003

p: (03) 9329 8200 f: (03) 9329 0682

Don Kyatt Spare Parts was established in 1969 to benefit vehicles heading into the Australian Outback, with parts that were stronger than genuine.

Dont know how much tho

Cheers Matt
      Matt

TOTTIE the Blue Paj
      '02 NM Exceed, Lovells shocks and springs 2" lift, 32" Maxxis Bighorns MTs, ARB bull bar, 9500lb Warn winch with rope, snorkel, Lightforce driving lights, diff breathers, TJM sump & trannie bash plates, UHF, GPS, doovalackkies, fire exstinguisher, Rhino Rack & tray, Dual Batteries, whatchamicallits, Fourby Fitouts rear storage system, Engel 40L, fold down table, extractors

Comment

• Greg
        • Oct 2007
        • Melbourne

In the end i went for a ride and got:

5m of 100mm wide flares from Niddrie Clark Rubber for $16.95 / m
        lots of self drilling screws, 20mm long for $9.85

Will go down and install them now I think.

Cheers for the info Matt, if i need some more I'll know where to go
        1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Comment

• m1s3ry
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Kalorama, VIC.

Bunnings is your friend

Though i think they will only work if you have a flat surface to screw to.
          Steele Perkins (#1263)
          NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• Greg
            • Oct 2007
            • Melbourne

Cheers Steele!

Well instead of Bunnings I went to Clark Rubber and got some flare rubber to put on.

Also got a box of 50 20mm metal tek screws (almost as good as zip ties for fixing stuff when its broke)

Put about 8-9 screws in each flare so they should hold up all right.

They well and truly cover the tyres now, its going to look dicky when i go back to 31x10.5 coopers but aw well.

Final Result, all legal and chunky, should do well next time I find the chopped up clay. The tyres have also raised the car about 2" so clearance is better.

Comment

• Rexy
              • Oct 2007
              • Wodonga

Looking good Greg
              Its turning into quite a beast
              Would those be the Simex tyres that M1s3ry was selling?
              Cheers Matt
              Matt

TOTTIE the Blue Paj
              '02 NM Exceed, Lovells shocks and springs 2" lift, 32" Maxxis Bighorns MTs, ARB bull bar, 9500lb Warn winch with rope, snorkel, Lightforce driving lights, diff breathers, TJM sump & trannie bash plates, UHF, GPS, doovalackkies, fire exstinguisher, Rhino Rack & tray, Dual Batteries, whatchamicallits, Fourby Fitouts rear storage system, Engel 40L, fold down table, extractors

Comment

• Greg
                • Oct 2007
                • Melbourne

yeah, that would be them

Comment

• m1s3ry
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Kalorama, VIC.

'Tis looking good greg!
                  Steele Perkins (#1263)
                  NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• bakerboy
                    "valued 3000+ member"
                    • May 2008
                    • Perth

good work mate, i used the same rubber flares, but ive been lazy and only done my rear wheels, id put some more screws in though, nothing wrong with too many, i also didnt use as much i only used 1m on each side, try cutting the ends on a 45 degree angle, tidys it up a bit

looking good mate
                    If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• redpaj
                      • Aug 2007

Looks good.
                      If I wasnt so lazy I should change my flares over to bigger ones to cover my simexs.

Comment

• arbee
                        • Nov 2007
                        • penrith

how much does clark rubber charge for the flares ?

Comment

• bakerboy
                          "valued 3000+ member"
                          • May 2008
                          • Perth

greg got his cheap, it should have cost about 20-25 per metre, there is a smaller flare that costs 16 per meter and im sure that they got their prices mixed, they did with mine expect to pay 80+, keep in mind its flexible unlike garden edging and is 100000000 better looking
                          If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Greg
                            • Oct 2007
                            • Melbourne

Cheers guys!

I Cleaned it up after taking the photos and cut the corners off to make them neater. The rubber cost me 16.95/m, I've heard that each clark rubber store is owned by different people so prices vary.

The reason i didnt put more screws in is that the drill bits i was using snapped and so i had to fashion an 8mm driver to just drill the tek screws straight in so I kinda went a bit slack.

I think i measured about 1m per front flare and 1.3m for the rears, saying that though, I bought 5m and have about 1m spare.

All in all, I'm quite happy with how they look and hopefully they do the job, if they deform too mush ive heard you can poke wire down the hole in the outside to help them keep shape.

Comment

• ngwagon
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • mt evelyn

hey greg, with your lift is it a suspension lift or body lift? Do the 33 inc tire fit with out much modding? i want to get some 33

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X