• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Bull bar rule amnesty ends in Sept in NSW

For those who don't read the Unsealed4x4 magazine, there's a good article on the bull bar rules in NSW and the apparent end of the amnesty in September. See it at:

• old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unfortunately the unsealed 4x4 article id not go into the full details but if you read the RTA web page that was linked in the article you can get the complete and correct story.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Morten
      • Jul 2018
      • Aberdeen NSW

And the can of worms sits ready...how long before the plod cuts loose and defects every 4x4...they'll find something...

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

In the real world it will only affect people who do not, or choose not to, understand the rules as they are. I have a OEM steel bullbar with no protrusions, so I sleep well at night.

James
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Unfortunately the unsealed 4x4 article id not go into the full details but if you read the RTA web page that was linked in the article you can get the complete and correct story.

OJ.
          I think you are being a little overly pejorative and also imply the online magazine might not have been completely correct. The article sumarises the main elements IMHO and provides the link to the RMS website (as you noted). I read the full document and didn't notice any errors in the magazine's article. I think it did well to to bring this to our attention - credit where its due. [I don't have any direct or indirect association with the magazine, other than reading the artilces].

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
            I think you are being a little overly pejorative and also imply the online magazine might not have been completely correct. The article sumarises the main elements IMHO and provides the link to the RMS website (as you noted). I read the full document and didn't notice any errors in the magazine's article. I think it did well to to bring this to our attention - credit where its due. [I don't have any direct or indirect association with the magazine, other than reading the artilces].

Hi Mundy,

Agree that is a good thing that Unsealed 4x4 ran the article, but I see the problem is 99.9% of readers will not read the link with all the information so they will not have a full understanding of the requirements but will think they do!

NSW is watering down the Australian Standars AS4876.1 for bullbar construction, I suspect this decision is due to pressure from the aftermarket industry and other groups that have a vested interest. However this will only give the Pedestrian Council of Australia more exposure to continue their fight to have all bullbars banned from vehicle operating in the city and suburbs.

Ultimately what is required is a "Pedestrian friendly" bullbar and these will not be made out of metal. Love them or Loath them, Smartbars are the future, this is the reason ARB brought Smartbar a few years ago. ARB are future proofing them selves for if and when metal bars are banned.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• oscaroo
              • Dec 2017
              • Sydney

Yay I have a smartbar. I sleep well at night too.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

NSW is watering down the Australian Standars AS4876.1 for bullbar construction, I suspect this decision is due to pressure from the aftermarket industry and other groups that have a vested interest. However this will only give the Pedestrian Council of Australia more exposure to continue their fight to have all bullbars banned from vehicle operating in the city and suburbs.
                The Pedestrian Council of Australia is a road safety lobby group which seeks to promote walking as a transport mode.The chairman and sole member is Harold Scruby and he is well versed and practiced in getting publicly for his causes. He has contacts in all manner of departments and I suggest that the name Pedestrian Council of Australia, suggesting it is a national body with large numbers of members was always a good ploy.

James
                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                  The Pedestrian Council of Australia is a road safety lobby group which seeks to promote walking as a transport mode.The chairman and sole member is Harold Scruby and he is well versed and practiced in getting publicly for his causes. He has contacts in all manner of departments and I suggest that the name Pedestrian Council of Australia, suggesting it is a national body with large numbers of members was always a good ploy.

James
                  That is very interesting James. As the saying goes "it is the squeaky wheel that gets oiled" and in the age of "populist politics" anything is possible as science is being abandoned for "blind faith".

In most countries in Europe, bullbars are banned and all cars are tested for pedestrian impact and rated. Here in Australia we have followed the Euro model rather than the USA model when it comes to crash worthiness of cars, so we will see more technology being used to reduce injury to pedestrians through frontal design, bonnet/windscreen airbags and forward collision mitigation systems.

I have followed the development of Smartbar for over 30 years, as I have always thought it was a great idea but underdeveloped.

OJ.

Comment

• ron.dunn
                    • Jul 2019
                    • Central Victoria

I have followed the development of Smartbar for over 30 years, as I have always thought it was a great idea but underdeveloped.

OJ.
                    I liked the idea of Smartbar but then I found they sold out to ARB, and I've not had good experiences with ARB in the past.
                    Pajero Sport GLS

Comment

• rgrubby
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2018
                      • Wellington - NZ

We have limits on bull bars in NZ too and we use ADR as a compliance standard, but the following paragraph on our Transport Agencies website makes me wonder how long even that will last.

"Tubular metal bullbars without deformable padding can be very dangerous in crashes involving pedestrians. Further research may show that tubular metal bullbars are simply too dangerous – if you fit them to your vehicle, please note that you may have to remove them at some point in the future."
                      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ron.dunn View Post
                        I liked the idea of Smartbar but then I found they sold out to ARB, and I've not had good experiences with ARB in the past.
                        Smartbar was originally a South Australian privately owned company, it was purchased by Hills Industries by default as Smartbar was a division of Team Poly which made rain water tanks, Hill industries was only really interested in the water tank side of the business. Hill Industires then sold of Smartbar to ARB. This was a very strategic purchase by ARB and it was around the same time they also released their alloy bar range. ARB had built its reputation on a "steel in best" mantra, but as the design of new cars changed and requirements for frontal protection systems to be airbag tested.
                        As front axle load limits were not being increased, and as cars got heavier, then the ability to hang 60kg - 90kg on the front end has been reduced. ARB is an aftermarket supplier and must adapt their product range to suit newer 4wds and the demands of the recreational 4wder, otherwise they and their products will be obsolete.

ARB started as a private company and has grown enormously and is now a public listed global company, with a manufacturing facility in Thailand as well as Melbourne, their springs are made by King Sprngs and their shockers by Monroe, all Australian Made.

The founders of both Smartbar and ARB, took a risk and worked very hard to build their companies which they they then sold on, so good on them, they deserve the comfortable retirement they now enjoy and worked so hard for.

Just because Smartbar is now owned by ARB, should not deter you from fitting a Smartbar, if you trust in the science behind the bars. Most people who will not buy a Smartbar, say it is because of the appearance but reality it is they think having a plastic bullbar somehow reduces their manliness.

OJ.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Young, NSW

I have always been a fan if the Smartbar, even if it looked as ugly as. The idea was always a winner and now it is under the umbrella of ARB maybe some more development can be done to improve the aesthetics of it and some good looking ones are now available. It is certainly the future for a lighter bar for touring vehicles. However I fear that the pricing will be kept high and that may deter some people from opting it over steel or alloy.

James

Comment

• Dug1
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Far South Coast NSW

Truth is, where I live, a good solid bulbar is a necessity not a fashion statement. Lose count of how many roos and deer I see every morning coming to work. Usually manage to hit at least 1 or 2 a year. This does not include minor brushes with them.

Worst ones are those that run into the side of the vehicle = lots of expensive damage.

On the Harold subject- try to find how many members his alleged council has. But he is a very good 'go to man' for the media whenever a 4WD issues comes up.

BTW- I have an ARB steel bar that meets current rules.

Comment

• Paj11
                              • Jun 2017
                              • Sydney

Hi, I don’t want to worry about angles, protrusions, etc etc, I have an Arb deluxe bar fitted to my NT, so who do I see to make sure it’s an approved type and legal, and get it signed off? That way if an over zealous cop pulls me up I just show them the paper work.
                              Last edited by Paj11; 27-07-19, 02:15 PM. Reason: Info
                              2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X