• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Solar Screen (video)Review and give away

HI all,

as many of you know, I'm always faffing about with the Paj and knocking up utube vids whilst I'm at it.

Recently I got sent a set of new solar screens from Solar Screens Australia as a thanks for doing a previous review of the set that I bought.

https://youtu.be/6nM98Ugs-zg

(original set)

Since I'm always getting questions about where they come from, here's the info

The new (right) set aren't much different and work just as well as the first set.

The new ones are very so slightly darker with a smaller edge tape on them and the pattern on the stitching has changed a tad.

Luckily they kept the brilliant suction caps used in the first lot.

These work well for keeping the heat down in the Paj and are especially handy if you have a fridge over the back or for camping and keeping the light out

these are the touring set, which is everything rear of the front doors.

So I still need to do something for light coming from the front.

They make getting into the paj on a filthy day much more bearable and helps the aircon kick in just that bit quicker.

you can see how well they are made and how well they fit on the windows. theyre made specifically for each vehicle.

and I think they look the dogs from outside too

I often leave the rear and passenger side ones out when driving though. I prefer to be able to look out there when needed. so those ones only go up when I'm camped or leaving the car for some time.

As mentioned, this is now my second set, so I'm giving away the first set. Info is at the end of the video.

I'm trying to hit a couple of targets on views and likes to trigger the giveaway. Once theyre hit, I'll do a giveaway video and post up here.

If you're interested, you can find the video here.

for those overseas, don't panic, I'm gonna send these where ever you come from, providing I can find a carrier to get them there.

No affiliation other then them sending me the second set after I'd already done the first review.

I found dealing with them to be a very similar experience to dealing with Boos and Bushskinz.

Small guys turning out a good product that look after you the best they can.
    any questions, let me know.

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • v8r
    • May 2014
    • mudgee, nsw

i watched the vid when it first came out.. they do look like the ducks guts
    My Fuelly.com stats

Comment

• Scouter1
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2013
      • Sydney NSW

I bought a 2nd hand set off a forum member a few years ago, primarily for a desert crossing. I only had the cargo area blinds in for the trip, but they made a very significant difference to overall cabin temperature & fridge efficiency. Still use them on long trips, they are a quality product that work really well.
      2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• denmonkey
        • Oct 2017
        • Newcastle NSW

Thanks Boys,

Scouter, Im glad you said that, cause I reckon I can notice a difference with just the rear ones in.
        I was in the plans of making a set from reflectix or the like and then spotted these ones.
        Glad I did.

thanks V8. Nice to know someone's watching

cheers fellas

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

Watched, liked and subscribed! All your video reviews are awesome. It's what prompted me to buy my Ozito X chainsaw. Good on you.
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• denmonkey
            • Oct 2017
            • Newcastle NSW

Hey Hatto and cheers mate.
            Good to know i'm on the right track. I just enjoy making them and of course playing with the Paj is fun most of the time .
            thansk for the sub mate.

Comment

• JWF
              • Mar 2019
              • Gosford

Brett

I purchased a full set (front to rear) a few months ago based on your first review and consider it money well spent. I leave the rear set (passenger windows back) in place permanently and find they certainly help with the fridge efficiency and an added bonus is privacy.
              The front set is good when camping and they are easy to fit and remove.
              Thanks for another great video and letting people know about a great Australian product.

John

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

I made a set of 'Solarscreen' copies for the rear three (cargo bay) windows. Iā€™d love a set of the genuine ones but am too tight.

They are just made using cheap ($7 x 2) windscreen shades from Supercheap. I use the ones with one dark coloured side. I put the dark coloured side on the inside to limit internal reflections/glare that may distract he driver.

It's truely amazing how much even these make it cooler in summer. Also helps keep thieving eyes off my stuff.

Outside side window

Inside side window

Inside back window
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booā€™s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• denmonkey
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Newcastle NSW

Hey JWF , thanks for letting me know mate.

Glad they're working out for you.

I've definitely found the fridge handles a filthy summer much easier .

Plus when it's hot in the car, my aux battery over the back also takes a hammering and struggles to take charge.

So in addition to making it more comfy to get in the car, it definitely helps out the battery and the fridge.

Geo, I was thinking long and hard about making my own set but I reckon yours came up better than I could have done.

My first set I picked up second hand for 80 bucks, so it was a no brainer.

As much as I love making stuff, they were cheap and just around the corner.

Plus I got to have a chinwag with a fellow paj/caravaner to boot. win win.

cheers boys

Comment

• Hazpet
                    • May 2014
                    • Mandurah

Tint

G'day Denmonkey.. Very interested in these screens however it would really bug me if the suction cups damaged or marked my tint. Have you any knowledge or experience of this.
                    Thanks

Peter
                    2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• denmonkey
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Newcastle NSW

Hey Tint,

not had any issues with the cups on my window tint.
                      it can leave a ring mark but its only dirt and rubs off easy enough.
                      Not seen any degradation of the tint with these fitted on and I've had a set on certain windows for probably around 2 years or so.

cheers Brett

Comment

• Hazpet
                        • May 2014
                        • Mandurah

Thanks denmonkey
                        2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• Kiwi downunder
                          • Feb 2014
                          • Adelaide

Well I was very keen to purchase some Solarscreen after having seen the video from denmonkey today, but after a quick search on South Australian law i have found that it is totally illegal to reduce the vision below 20% (of luminous transmittance) for a private vehicle for rear windows, but its OK if its a 'goods vehicle' to have 0%.
                          So if you pay the road tax for a trade vehicle its ok, but otherwise illegal if you dont pay the tax... go figure!

SA window tinting legislation
                          https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...et-02-2020.pdf

PS: and the tinting/ screen cannot be reflective at 10% or higher which is the whole point of the solar screens.
                          Last edited by Kiwi downunder; 20-01-21, 08:23 PM. Reason: Added reflectivity issue

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                            I made a set of 'Solarscreen' copies for the rear three (cargo bay) windows. Iā€™d love a set of the genuine ones but am too tight.

They are just made using cheap ($7 x 2) windscreen shades from Supercheap. I use the ones with one dark coloured side. I put the dark coloured side on the inside to limit internal reflections/glare that may distract he driver.

It's truely amazing how much even these make it cooler in summer. Also helps keep thieving eyes off my stuff.

Outside side window

Inside side window

Inside back window
                            I did the same some time ago. When camped at Burketown with absolutely no shade in the camp, these proved a great addition. Left the 40 litre engel freezer in the rear with the back door open . Rest of car was closed. 34 degrees in full sun on a saltpan we camped on next to a river. Engel worked well, as usual, and the inside of the car was not overly hot. Definitely a big aid in keeping the interior cool.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• willneill
                              • Mar 2019
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Kiwi downunder View Post
                              ...otherwise illegal if you dont pay the tax... go figure!
                              They're pretty common these days, never heard of anyone getting done. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had issues.

I've only used them for sleeping in the back in winter. Couldn't do it without them. In summer I use magnetic fly screen shades when driving, which I recon are still too dark to be technically legal, but I like the airflow.
                              2009 NT GLS Manual DiD, Cool Silver Metallic, OzTec shocks & raised King springs,ā€‹ Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70R17,ā€‹ OEM nudge bar, BushSkinz bash plates, BushSkinz side steps, ARB alloy rack, ARB awning, Ultra Vision light bar, Uniden comms, ā€‹100AH lithium battery and 30L Dometic fridge, custom drawers, work in progress...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X