• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caroma
    • May 2012
    • WA - Pilbara

'Like' option

Not sure if it's already been asked or proposed, will the forum at any stage be introducing the ability to 'like' posts? Be handy to be able to show appreciation for a post without the need to reply to it, especially to avoid derailing threads.

Cheers.
    2008 NS Petrol Auto.
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by caroma View Post
    Not sure if it's already been asked or proposed, will the forum at any stage be introducing the ability to 'like' posts? Be handy to be able to show appreciation for a post without the need to reply to it, especially to avoid derailing threads.

Cheers.
    From memory the newer software version that we tried a couple of years ago had something along these lines along with a lot of other great features. Unfortunately a lot of people weren't happy with the change (and I think there were some stability concerns at the time also) so we reverted. I don't believe its possible in this version of the forum software that we are using currently.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
      From memory the newer software version that we tried a couple of years ago had something along these lines along with a lot of other great features. Unfortunately a lot of people weren't happy with the change (and I think there were some stability concerns at the time also) so we reverted. I don't believe its possible in this version of the forum software that we are using currently.

Come on mate. That's not the answer we wanted!! where's the DISLIKE button?....lol

At least we have an edit button...that's a godsend at times..
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Come on mate. That's not the answer we wanted!! where's the DISLIKE button?....lol

At least we have an edit button...that's a godsend at times..
        most people don't like change sadly. I actually liked the newer software and was disappointed when we reverted

...did someone say tapatalk?
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

most people don't like change sadly. I actually liked the newer software and was disappointed when we reverted

...did someone say tapatalk?
          Software was good, server wasn't keen on it....along with some forum members .We will have another look at an upgrade soon
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Melchior
            • Apr 2011
            • Geraldton, WA

1997 NK GLS LWB 3500 DOHC

Comment

• grhyso
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Perth

While i love tapatalk my current version of dolphin browser on my phone text wraps to screen size so it sort of makes the use of tapatalk defunct. I only just found out this isnt the norm on most phones and without it taptalk would be necessity.

Keep up the good work guys, at some point we'll need an upgrade and at least you guys are willing to listen to the members concerns.
              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• caroma
                • May 2012
                • WA - Pilbara

No worries just thought I'd ask the question. Cheers for replying.

Personally I can't stand Tapatalk. I avoid it at all costs.
                2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Sydney

I do not understand what useful functionality a "like" button has. At what point has anyone made a decision to either view or avoid to view a particular item of interest based on the number of likes/dislikes? Do we pay per click now?

Some might argue that they would like to input their opinion without disturbing the conversation. To me this basically sums up a key reason for societies problems - everyone quick to "have a say" (which you're not really) in the laziest way possible. Isn't it a discussion forum rather than an agreement area. If you've got nothing to add do I or anyone else for that matter need to know that some sheeple agreed or disagreed with some statement made by some other anonymity on the internet by way of a thumbs up or down?

Hmm, getting a bit too soapboxy for a Monday morning. Maybe I should go find one of Goodsy's posts or go and watch that clip again of the car being hit by lightning
                  NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• caroma
                    • May 2012
                    • WA - Pilbara

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                    I do not understand what useful functionality a "like" button has. At what point has anyone made a decision to either view or avoid to view a particular item of interest based on the number of likes/dislikes? Do we pay per click now?

Some might argue that they would like to input their opinion without disturbing the conversation. To me this basically sums up a key reason for societies problems - everyone quick to "have a say" (which you're not really) in the laziest way possible. Isn't it a discussion forum rather than an agreement area. If you've got nothing to add do I or anyone else for that matter need to know that some sheeple agreed or disagreed with some statement made by some other anonymity on the internet by way of a thumbs up or down?

Hmm, getting a bit too soapboxy for a Monday morning. Maybe I should go find one of Goodsy's posts or go and watch that clip again of the car being hit by lightning
                    Would you like some cheese with that whine? Gee wizz, if you think clicking a 'like' button on a forum is key to society's problems, i suggest you turn on the news one day.

It was a simple question which received a simple answer from the Admins.
                    2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post

The idea behind having the like system and/or the rep system on forums such as this one is so that users (particularly new users who aren't familiar with the regular faces on here) can determine whether or not they can comfortably rely on an answer being factual.

Eg, if a user has a really poor reputation you may want to wait for a different opinion but if someone like Pauly Faulkner for example comes along and he's got a massive rep because he answers so many questions accurately users will be more likely to trust his answers. Similar for likes, if you've got three solutions to a problem presented to you and two of the options have basically no likes, but another has many - you are more likely to follow the advice in the answer with more likes.

Hope that helps clarify why such a system may be warranted on a forum such as this. Nothing to do with society or any other kind of bigger picture. Just purely to try to get solutions to peoples problems out quickly and accurately.

Comment

• caroma
                        • May 2012
                        • WA - Pilbara

^^ Like
                        2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• NFT5
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Canberra

I'll add an opinion here.

T.C. Barky's response and explanation is excellent. However, any system like this does depend on the members who hand out the "Likes" or "Rep" points being sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to distinguish between a good and bad response. Unfortunately, on the social media where this is most used, this isn't necessarily the case.

The other thing is that any such system depends on members actually using it. On another forum the "Like" button was introduced, at the request of members, and I have enough digits to more than cover the number of times it's actually been used.

A reputation points system is, I think, somewhat better than the "Like" alternative, since it reflects back on the member providing the good answer, rather than on that answer in isolation. Again depends on proper use - the town comedian may get lots of points for his humorous responses, rather than the quality of those in relation to the topic or question being asked. Every system has its pros and cons. Consider a member who consistently replies with helpful, factual information but doesn't have a particularly high post count. He may have the same points as another who has a huge post count but whose replies are only 50% right. How one allocates points for responses prior to introduction of any such system is something that the forum management need to consider as well.

I've also seen a "thank you" system, where the number received is displayed for each member. This also seems to work reasonably well.
                          Chris

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2013
                            • Sydney

The idea behind having the like system and/or the rep system on forums such as this one is so that users (particularly new users who aren't familiar with the regular faces on here) can determine whether or not they can comfortably rely on an answer being factual.

Eg, if a user has a really poor reputation you may want to wait for a different opinion but if someone like Pauly Faulkner for example comes along and he's got a massive rep because he answers so many questions accurately users will be more likely to trust his answers. Similar for likes, if you've got three solutions to a problem presented to you and two of the options have basically no likes, but another has many - you are more likely to follow the advice in the answer with more likes.

Hope that helps clarify why such a system may be warranted on a forum such as this. Nothing to do with society or any other kind of bigger picture. Just purely to try to get solutions to peoples problems out quickly and accurately.
                            I would think that any information garnished from the internet be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism. Forums are a bit better but I could go on about the studies of monkeys, bananas and icy water where the new monkeys behaviour in an enclosure is changed without any experience of the reasons why.

As I said I don't understand why anyone would rely on a "like" system to determine whether a thread was of use or not nor whether a comment or advice is sound. But then again I don't understand why anyone would buy a Y61 Patrol these days.

Pauly does have a good rep, and without a system of likes.
                            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• TC.Barky
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                              I'll add an opinion here.

T.C. Barky's response and explanation is excellent. However, any system like this does depend on the members who hand out the "Likes" or "Rep" points being sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to distinguish between a good and bad response. Unfortunately, on the social media where this is most used, this isn't necessarily the case.

The other thing is that any such system depends on members actually using it. On another forum the "Like" button was introduced, at the request of members, and I have enough digits to more than cover the number of times it's actually been used.

A reputation points system is, I think, somewhat better than the "Like" alternative, since it reflects back on the member providing the good answer, rather than on that answer in isolation. Again depends on proper use - the town comedian may get lots of points for his humorous responses, rather than the quality of those in relation to the topic or question being asked. Every system has its pros and cons. Consider a member who consistently replies with helpful, factual information but doesn't have a particularly high post count. He may have the same points as another who has a huge post count but whose replies are only 50% right. How one allocates points for responses prior to introduction of any such system is something that the forum management need to consider as well.

I've also seen a "thank you" system, where the number received is displayed for each member. This also seems to work reasonably well.
                              Very good points. Guess you never know how well it'll work until it's used in practice.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X