• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scribble88
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2014
    • Geraldton, WA

Victorian High Country

I am excited, my family and I have finally made it to Victoria on our Great lap.

We are here for 5 months, before having to leave.

I hope I am posting in the right area.

Coming to Victoria, I have been dreaming of the prospect of doing the high country. I was a little concerned that I would be unfortunate, miss my opportunity do the high country, as I thought they may close the tracks in May. I have just checked on the appropriate website, looks like the first closures occur 01/06/16, with the rest of scheduled closures 16/06/16.

Never doing the high country before, I was wondering if anyone might be going this weekend or the next. Now that is a big ask, to invite my self to your/your family time. I don't really want to impose on someone's rec. time. Just never doing High Country, want to keep my family safe, get the most out of the trip. So if someone/people would be in certain areas to keep an eye on me, that would be good.

Now, we would probable be considered as 'wowsers'. We don't drink, well other than the occasional alco-pop. Not really a fan of swearing or be-little-ing people. I 4wd to get to or experience amazing sites, don't really want to do a track because it is something to brag about. In addition, try to make the trip as comfortable as possible; in saying that we don't mind a rough track if we see/get to beautiful sights. Not much of a thrill seeker, conscious that my kids/wife do get scared; not afraid of doing things that are safe, but exilerating ( I have this vision, when I think of the High Country of driving along a ridge, high up, seeing our beautiful country ). No matter how good the experience, if the kids/wife get scared, I will back out.

Why did I write the above paragraph; well if you allow me to follow you up a track, I want you to know what my priorities are.

We are a pretty open family, accepting of all people no mater what your background might be. Mind you if you crap on about how much better Victoria is than other parts of Aust, esp. WA, I might take a few detours away from you, or give you radio silence.

I am not a beginner 4wd-er, but not experienced either. I will certainly listen to sound advice, and am a safety first kind of person. I ensure that I have the recovery gear, only have a hand winch though. No front locker, but factory rear locker, the rest is in my signature.

If you cannot or don't want to have me in your party, any suggestion on what areas to check out, would be appreciated.

After June 16, are all the tracks that allow you to see the splendour of the High Country closed off?

Wouldn't mind some suggestions of introductory level areas of Victorian Country, driving in snow; if you have them! Don't have snow chains though, might be able to borrow if definitely required.

I did read on 4x4 earth, a mob did a High Country group run recently, bummed I missed it.

Oh, feel free to suggest other scenic parts of Vic, if you want.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by scribble88; 18-05-16, 12:56 AM. Reason: Missing word
    2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

The attached file might give you some suggestions if you are tripping around the Mt Buller region. It was a day trip we did which started and finished at the Mirimbah entrance to Mt Buller. Just after that entrance, take the Stirling rd on the left which takes you to Razorback hut. From there we went to Mt. No.3 and took Western track down to Pineapple flat. That was a great track but poses no issue at all. It's just a slow and steady run over some rocks and bumps but you'd be fine on your own. From Pineapple Flat we went to Kings River Hut which meant a few easy river crossings but they aren't challenging at all so again, all fine for a loan vehicle. Coming back up on to Circuit Rd you can stop in at Bindaree Falls and of course, Craig's Hut. Both worth a look. From there we skirted the Buller Village but go up and have a look, it's spectacular. Wew then took the bitumen road back down to Mirimbah.
    Attached Files
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• scribble88
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2014
      • Geraldton, WA

Wow Ian, thank you so much. That is so helpful.
      2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

No worries. If you want a look at the video, it here.....
        Idlers 4WD Club day trip 29th Feb 2016 from Sheepyard Flat to Mt no.3, Pineapple Flat and Kings Hut.

It's just a record I kept for my own use and to show a few friends so fast forward through the bits you don't need but at least it gives you a look at Western track (the roughest part of the trip at about 2:30 in to the video) and the creek crossings.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• scribble88
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2014
          • Geraldton, WA

Great to have the GPS co-ordinates for the track, thankyou. Saw your video on Grampians, might give that ago as well.

Comment

Great video Ian. What camera are you using, is it a dash cam. The quality is excellent and good audio.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by fajer View Post
              Great video Ian. What camera are you using, is it a dash cam. The quality is excellent and good audio.
              It's a Navman Mivue 530. I like the GPS feature where you get exact coordinates recorded in to the playback video. My only knock on it is that it only has 32G of memory before it starts to overwrite the fields again so you get a good full day but not a lot more. The quality is actually a lot better than what it is when the file gets uploaded to Youtube. Whewn playing back at home on the uncompressed version, it's full HD.

Comment

Thanks Ian will look in to it. cheers

Comment

• scribble88
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Geraldton, WA

Ok, after Ian H and the maintenance guy's from work's encouragement my family did Bluff Hutt. It was really spectacular, going to do Craig's hut tomorrow.

I have to be a little mean, I was coming down the the track from Bluff hut. A Nissan Patrol was having a real hard time getting past an area that I got past quite easily. It had mud terrain tyres on as well. Preverse pleasure I know.
                  Last edited by scribble88; 22-05-16, 12:29 AM. Reason: Missed words

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by scribble88 View Post
                    Ok, after Ian H and the maintenance guy's from work's encouragement my family did Bluff Hutt. It was really spectacular, going to do Craig's hut tomorrow.

I have to be a little mean, I was coming down the the track from Bluff hut. A Nissan Patrol was having a real hard time getting past an area that I got past quite easily. It had mud terrain tyres on as well. Preverse pleasure I know.
                    Great views from the sumitt of The Bluff across to Buller too.
                    Bluff track hut isn't hard.....I did the walk up the steep section while my wife drove from there up to the hut and she had no problems at all, even though she had never driven in low range until then. Just goes to show how good the paj is

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X