Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Squealing noise coming from turbo.

I have just had my 2007 NS Pajero service and I asked the mechanic to check a squealing noise, thinking it might have been fanbelts I gave him a pair of original belts. Noise still there, mechanic wants to look at the turbo saying the noise is coming from that area,
Auto transmission service done a week later and the mechanic there said the noise is coming from the turbo area and suggests that there is a worn bearing and when a rev load is put on it it squeals,
He thinks it is the blades scraping on the body of the turbo.
So two mechanics have now told me the noise is from turbo and I have put it in to my service mechanic to look at.
He is going to pull it down and let me know what he finds, he is of the opinion that the bearing can't be replaced and I have to put on a new turbo charger.

MM have quoted me $4200 for a new turbo and my mechanic has told me about $1500, must be an aftermarket one, but still a big difference in price.

I have only clocked up 186000klm.

I have tried to search if anyone has had the same trouble, nothing is coming up.
I hope someone that has good knowledge on turbo's can give me some guidance on my problem..
Can anyone help with info, and also give me any places that I can get a good aftermarket one from.
2007 NS Exceed 3.2L DiD auto.....Lovell standard coil springs, Bilstein shocks..Reinforced 60psi Coil-rite airbags.. 17" rims.... 275x65x17 Pirelli Scorpion AT tyres.. Smartbar bullbar... 23 inch light bar..... EGR chip...Steinbauer chip..
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Get him to check for a leaking exhaust manifold, turbo flange or dump pipe gaskets

Small exhaust leaks can give off a screech or sequel noise.

P.S A scrapping compressor or turbine blade equal a worn bearing and turbos don't last long with that issue.
You could remove the rubber tube from the turbo outlet and check for free play.
MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Last edited by Phil; 1 Week Ago at 10:45 AM. Reason: P.S added
Old 1 Week Ago

Quite possibly a bearing issue in the turbo. I simple check of shaft play by hand may confirm the issue. If there is enough shaft float the compressor wheel will be contacting the housing causing the squeal. Turbo should be removed and sent away to be rebuilt. Some suggested repairers below.

https://gcg.com.au/

https://www.mtqes.com.au/

Regards,

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, dual batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent catch can, EGR disabled, Auto-mate TC lockup, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & Bendix 4WD pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB and Scangauge II.
Old 1 Week Ago

Yes, rebuild would be way cheaper.

Shop around, years ago I got the turbo off an RX-7 rebuilt and reworked a bit, the reputable 'truck' turbo places were WAY cheaper than the 'boy racer' shops.
3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can.
Old 1 Week Ago

you don't happen to live in the western suburbs of Melbourne there is a family friend that i know he owns a shop https://www.procharge.com.au/ his name is ben he builds them for a living he can rebuild and high-flow your turbo for under 1500 he also builds turbos for clients across Australia

he knows his Stuff.
Old 1 Week Ago

What kind of turbo charger does the NS/NT have?
2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, BFG KO all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Manuals have a standard turbo. Autos are variable vane.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 6 Days Ago

Here is a place in NSW. Looks like an OEM turbo for $1945.00 if that's the way you need to go if in fact your turbo is the issue.

https://gcg.com.au/oem-turbochargers...2002-on-detail
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Here is a place in NSW. Looks like an OEM turbo for $1945.00 if that's the way you need to go if in fact your turbo is the issue.

https://gcg.com.au/oem-turbochargers...2002-on-detail

Unfortunately mate that's the wrong OEM part number.

Part number is 1515A026.

Our turbo has shat itself with carbon build up. Have ordered after market for $710 complete with gaskets with 2 year warranty. If it shats itself in 3 or four years just buy another one. Still way cheaper than MM price of over $3,500. Just need to get new oil return line.
Old 2 Days Ago

Thank you guys for the replies I have just got the 4wd back. First off anything about the turbo was a none event, it turned out to be the turbo gasket, where the squeal/whistle noise was coming from.
Also the mechanic found 2 exhaust manifold studs had broken off, and they had to be drilled out, and he also replaced the other the rest of the studs just in case one of the other ones broke later on.

It was great that I did not have to buy a new turbo because it still cost me an arm and a leg for what was done.
Parts
manifold steel gasket 107.69
turbo steel gasket 93.50
coolant 41.80
hose clamps 6.60
12 manifold studs and nuts 52.80

total $ 302.39

labour 10 hours $ 990.00

grand total $ 1292.39

I might not be a mechanic, but I have run 2 service stations in my early years for 10 years and most of that time I was in the workshop alongside my mate who was a mechanic, so I do have a bit of an idea of what is involved to pull down the turbo and the gear around that side of the motor and 10 hours of labour seemed a bit high to me.
This is what was written.
Labour Service...... Check noise, remove turbo assembly and exhaust manifold, drill out 2 broken studs, remove and replace all studs and nuts, replace gaskets refit and test

Some feedback from someone that might have a better idea on costs on what was done would be welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1865.jpg (173.9 KB, 24 views)
2007 NS Exceed 3.2L DiD auto.....Lovell standard coil springs, Bilstein shocks..Reinforced 60psi Coil-rite airbags.. 17" rims.... 275x65x17 Pirelli Scorpion AT tyres.. Smartbar bullbar... 23 inch light bar..... EGR chip...Steinbauer chip..